Driving Dog Endangers 5-Year-Old

Says Mom Kenya Sipe of the moment she saw the van run over her daughter: "I begged God to help Kalli, and to let her be OK."

Kalli_Sipe.jpg

Mom•Logic: What happened?
Kenya: My dad was watching Kalli in the yard. I had just strapped my baby in the car. I needed to run inside to change clothes, so I left the van running with the air-conditioner on. I left the front door open, so my dad could see the baby, and I pulled the van right up to my dad. I'm guessing I didn't put the van in park all the way, the gear must have been in between park and reverse.

Kalli was standing by the van's open front door. Then I heard the engine rev. I turned and looked. The door knocked Kalli down, and then the van ran over her. The left front tire went from her right shoulder down across her sternum, and off her leg.

My dad was holding Kalli and I just yanked her away from him.  She wasn't crying or screaming, just whimpering a little. I ran through the house to get the phone and call 911.

My husband and I have a 4-year-old English bulldog named George. There is also a stray dog that visits our property. Both dogs love taking rides in the car, and they were in the yard with us. The stray jumped into the front seat and hit the accelerator. The car must have gotten knocked out of park, and it took off.

Mom•Logic: What were Kalli's injuries?
Kenya:
There were no broken bones and no internal bleeding. Kalli had bruised lungs. She stayed overnight in ICU for observation and has been back to normal since.

I begged God to help Kalli, and to let her be okay. If it hadn't been for the prayers, the outcome would have been different. I give him the glory and praise for that. It was a miracle, and nothing less.

next: Dalmatian Press Recalls Children's Board Book Sets
Jilly Bean April 8, 2008, 4:14 PM

Oh, what a crazy accident. I would never have my dog alone with my kids in the car personally…at least her child wasn’t severely injured.

Anonymous April 8, 2008, 5:16 PM

wow. you’re truly lucky she’s alive.

Anonymous April 9, 2008, 11:50 AM

it doesn’t sound like she left the dog alone in the car with her children, it sounds like the dog just jumped into the car

come again April 9, 2008, 4:49 PM

Compair this story to the one below.

While the Sipe family loaded their blue van with some scrap wood in the family’s backyard, Widget, the family mutt, made a run toward the running Dodge Caravan. The driver’s door was open.

Anonymous April 11, 2008, 12:30 AM

She is changing the story over and over again.Wake up Keyna, if you can’t get it straight, take notes so you can remember what you told the first time! Hopefully you will drown in all the lies!

what ever  April 12, 2008, 6:13 PM

according to what she said on the news she was loading wood in the van and the puppy that jumped in the car was hers — please dont believe this web of lies

hannah September 11, 2008, 1:31 PM

Couldnt you have changed clothes BEFORE strapping your kid in the car?
It just sounds like you’re irrisponsible and stupid to leave youre car running with your kid in it and leave it unattended. And as for “yanking” your child away from your RUN OVER by a car (a car, that was drivin by the dog no less…)
You, my dear, sound like a total moron.

Anonymous February 19, 2009, 2:18 PM

I wouldn’t blame the dogs. I would blame Kenya. You moron! Hannah is right. You could’ve got your dad to sit in the car to keep the dogs away. you could’ve gotten little Kalli to sit with her sister. You almost killed Kalli, Kenya. I hope you’re happy.