Alien in My Belly

Guest Blogger Alysa: The first time my husband felt my daughter kick, he freaked out.

feelingbelly.jpg

The first time I felt my daughter kick, I was on a business trip and resting on the bed. I didn't tell my husband then because I wanted to surprise him when I got home. He thought it was cool. I loved feeling my baby kick. I had my hand on my stomach all day, just waiting for movement. As the days went by, the kicks got stronger and more frequent. When she kicked at home, I would always tell my husband to feel it. Most of the time, I had to grab his hand and hold it there. If it took more than a minute, he took his hand back. He just wasn't as constantly excited as I was. Kind of the "you feel one kick, you've felt them all" mentality.

In my final weeks, it got to the point where I could look in a mirror and see body parts jutting from my middle. Sleeping was not fun. This one particular night, she was extremely active. Not your run-of-the-mill active. This was a baby who kicked the amnio needle out of my stomach -- three times! Imagine how uncomfortable I felt. Feet and elbows were protruding from my sides, kicking every organ to God knows where. I was grunting. I was panting. My husband thought I was being dramatic. To prove my point, I grabbed his hand and placed it on my side. Within seconds, the kicking started and -- wait for it -- his eyes bugged out and he actually yanked his hand back. I could honestly say he recoiled in horror! His exact words: "What IS that? It feels like an alien!" To which I replied, "That alien is our child."

next: Sixth Graders' Sex Tape?
sherry June 6, 2008, 4:31 PM

that’s a great little article…i can recall many of the same feelings & my dh had the same type of reactions…LOL.

marilyn June 6, 2008, 7:29 PM

the alien turned out to be the most beautiful child.

great article and since i know you both, it is especially funny to me picturing
this happening.

Jennifer  June 7, 2008, 1:13 PM

Wow, Alysa…. You are all grown up. That story brought a tear to my eye! I love you both and can’t wait to meet Alexa:-)

Liza September 7, 2008, 9:00 PM

This is exactly how my husband is! We both laughed when we read this article.

Paul December 8, 2009, 2:21 PM

Sounds like a vigorous kid. My daughter kicked a plate of spaghetti off my wife’s stomach - I guess she objected to being used as a dining table.

I’m guessing that what you described was more than 10 years ago? Virtually no-one in the UK has the amniocentesis test as it was superseded years ago (and is deemed too risky to be worthwhile).

Good article, thanks.

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 1:37 PM

An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing slightly evaluation on this. And he in reality purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If potential, as you grow to be expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra particulars? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog submit!