God in Class?

Despite the federal court ban on teaching the theory that God created all life, some teachers still do it.

A recent survey revealed that one in eight high school biology teachers teach the theory that God created all life (see Genesis 1-2) as a valid scientific alternative to evolution. While we are entitled to believe what we choose, some moms feel that teaching about God in science class is mixing oil and water--not to mention illegal. It definitely sparked controversy among momlogic moms:

annie.jpgI was taught creationism in school in Oklahoma INSTEAD of evolution, and I now feel cheated. I don't believe creationism should be taught in schools. I think it should be left to churches to teach that. There should be a separation between church and state, period.
jill.jpgI think there's a place and purpose to teaching kids about all religious theories....but it sure as hell shouldn't be in science class!
julie.jpgI feel both theories should be taught in science class, they both offer two completely different views of the world. I think the problem people have with intelligent design is that it's taught through the Bible and religion, and those two subjects are controversial. The intelligent design theory really does have a place in science; physics have discovered that the universe is 10% matter and 90% consciousness--intelligent consciousness. We may have evolved, but I believe it's a well-thought evolution.
jackie.jpgI'm an atheist, but I think a balanced approach is best. While I think the story of creation is somewhat like a fable (but a pretty cool story), I think that kids should understand the scientific nature of the universe.

What's your view?

next: Disney Recalls Tinker Bell Wands
cg May 28, 2008, 3:49 PM

nothing like the subject of “how did we get here?” to get people talking. my personal belief is that there is evidence that points to an intelligent creator.now as far as teachers teaching it in the classroom- i don’t think i’m offended, but i do believe it is a parents job to instruct their child about their creator, and that they are accountable to him ultimatley for the way they live their lives.perhaps if more were taught their community responsiblity concerning others there would be less pain/suffering in the world.

mountainview May 28, 2008, 7:13 PM

Dulce…..I was mentioning homework earlier.
David Albert, the professor from the Columbia University physics department who was featured in the film (What the Bleep…), is quoted in Salon.com saying:

“I was edited in such a way as to completely suppress my actual views about the matters the movie discusses. I am, indeed, profoundly unsympathetic to attempts at linking quantum mechanics with consciousness. Moreover, I explained all that, at great length, on camera, to the producers of the film … Had I known that I would have been so radically misrepresented in the movie, I would certainly not have agreed to be filmed.”

Deulce, the truth is out there but you have to look for it. My advice to everyone who has been posting flasehoods about creationism law, urban legends etc is RESEARCH. Look at both sides not just the side that supports your view. Googling ‘what the bleep’ ‘CRITCISM’ and bam! you learn about how Albert was taken out of context. It doesn’t take much to inform yourself.

mountainview May 28, 2008, 7:38 PM

Deulce, As for Stuart Hameroff M.D I was unable to find a single article on the AAAS website(American Association for the Advancement of Science) Americas leading scientific community. There was also no mention of anything linking quantum mechanics and conciousness. Scientific American one of the oldest magazines in America and one of the most respected science magazines in the world has one artlicle mentioning Stuart Hameroff called QUANTUM QUAKERY.I subscribe to the magazine and assure you the article ripped him to shreds. Now I will admit Galileo was reputed for saying the earth revolved around the sun. Someone has to sy it fist. Stuart Hameroff M.D may be right but the evidence is against him. However to claim the Universe to be 90% conciousness is premature. It should be prefaced with the fact that it is a hypothesis in its infancy (really almost a fetus).

abb3w May 29, 2008, 12:41 PM

cg: You may believe, but your belief is not formally justified by the evidence; see the Vitanyi/Li paper I mentioned for details. By all means, instruct your children at home, but please don’t try to push Creationism under any guise into Science classes.

Anonymous May 29, 2008, 6:15 PM

I think it’s fine to teach evolution and the big bang in religion class, just don’t teach it in science class.

Science class is for science, not metaphysics like evolution and the big bang.

Anonymous May 30, 2008, 7:26 PM

Ok, if you are going to say don’t teach religion and the bible and that god created all because it can’t be proven, then you can’t teach the big bang theory and evolution because it is just what it says it is a THEORY. So. what if things have evolved a bit how do you know God didn’t plan that. I firmly believe God knows all. Past, Present, and the Future.

Anonymous May 30, 2008, 7:39 PM

why is ok to teach children that they evolved from monkeys but its not ok to teach them that there is a loving and forgiving God that died for them. I for one do not want teachers confusing my child and her growing up questioning God. Its not ok to fill there heads with a load of bull. I know God is real because i can feel him. Can You Feel The Monkey In You? Now, how dumb does that sound.

d June 1, 2008, 4:00 PM

Dulce has absolutely no idea what she’s talking about. Every now and then I come across a person whose staggering ignorance fills me with a sense of amazement as to how one could survive past the age of five without meeting some horrible end due to this overwhelming mental disability. Probably Dulce overheard someone speaking about Physics while she was watching American Idol or America’s Next Top Model, etc., and is simply remembering incorrectly. Physicists have long said that the part of the universe which we do not yet know, and perhaps which we will never know, greatly outweighs the part which we do up to this point. That being a 10 to 90 percent differential, sounds a little lop-sided to me. I think scientists state that we know far less than 10 percent. To say, however, that 90 percent of the universe is made up of consciousness, is mind-blowingly ridiculous. Please, Dulce, tell us, how exactly is something made up of consciousness? A living thing may be conscious, say animals or people (based on your views I would tend to leave you out of the prior two groups deemed to have actual consciousness). Or a living thing may just as easily not be conscious, say a tree or a fungus. There is no way, however, that it may be said that the universe is at all conscious. I suggest Dulce do a little perusing of the good old webster’s dictionary before she purports to know what she’s talking about. As for the “intelligent design” in the classroom debate. I think, humbly, that it’s best to keep “id” out of the science class. In return, how about we say that science won’t enter a class taught on “stories so ridiculous and asinine that not even a raving lunatic would buy into them if said lunatic had any sense in his head.” I think that’s a much better idea. Science for science class, “intelligent design” for crazy class.

~angie~ June 5, 2008, 3:12 AM

AS A CHRISTIAN I DO AGREE THAT SCIENCE CLASS ISN’T THE PLACE FOR ANYONE TO DISCUSS RELIGION.I MAY SOUND LIKE A HYPOCRITE BUT THAT’S JUST MY OPINION.DON’T TRY TO FORCE RELIGION INTO THE MIND OF SOMEONE WHO ISN’T COMPLETELY READY TO KNOW THE TRUTH AS TO HOW WE WERE CREATED AND HOW THE WORLD CAME ABOUT.LEAVE THAT DECISION TO GOD.IN A WORLD WHERE RELIGION,NATIONALITY AND SKIN COLOR ARE CONSTANTLY JUDGED WHY WOULD WE ADD THE EXTRA STRESS TO OURSELVES?AND NOT TO MENTION,NOT TOO MANY PARENTS WOULD BE HAPPY KNOWING THEIR CHILDREN ARE BEING EDUCATED ABOUT RELIGION AND NOT SCIENCE!!!ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BELIEFS.I BELIEVE THERE IS A GOD AND THAT HIS SON DIED FOR US BUT I DON’T GO AROUND PUSHING MY RELIGION AND BELIEFS ON ANYONE.

Suzanne June 6, 2008, 11:45 AM

G-d belongs in religious classes and big bang and evolution belong in science class. The reason they are called theories is because they can be tested through scientific methods, not because they are just the random guesses of scientists.

I believe in G-d but that does not mean I want my daughters to learn about it in public school. And whose g-d would we be teaching? Some mentioned the g-d who died for them. Sorry, but I don’t believe he died for me since I don’t believe in him because I am Jewish. I do not want my daughters being taught about Christ in the public school that my tax dollars are supporting. If I want them to learn about G-d I can send them to Yeshiva or as I do now take them to religious instruction at my local synagogue.

People are always complaining that they don’t want sex taught in school as that is a parent’s job to teach at home, well so is religion and don’t pull the semantics crap of intelligent design or the strengths and weakness theories because they are a load of bull and code words for the crazy religious right movement.

stinkybrat41 June 9, 2008, 2:02 PM

abb3w: my belief IS formally justified by evidence-as i stated this is MY PERSONAL BELIEF.The only paper i need to see is the 66 books formally called “the holy scriptures”.and interestingly enough- i instruct my children about the creator because he instructs me to do so as part of our worship to him but thank you for YOUR permission to do so…and i do no write the school curriculum nor do i teach in them but as i stated I, I WOULD NOT NECCESSARILY BE OFFENDED if it were taught there-and i am still entitled to MY OPINION just as you and many others are.we may not agree but i most certainly will allow EVERYONE the dignity to express their own thoughts w/o attacking them.

Really? June 12, 2008, 3:00 PM

Come on people! Creation is confirmed and clarified by science. Of course it should be taught in science class. You can’t get more scientific than that. For people who actually study science know that it proves creation more than evolution. If you “hear” about evolution from other people, or just disagree with Creation because it is in the Bible, you are lacking maturity and really should take a close look at scientific theories a little closer. Scientist are extremely important and everyone should hear what they have to say, on both issues. Don’t just pick one side because you “feel” like it.

Suzanne June 12, 2008, 3:10 PM

Hey Really?

I’d love to see what science journals you found creation in. If you can show it to me I would be happy to read it because it would be interesting to see if its a crackpot journal or one respected in the science community.

nicole June 12, 2008, 9:45 PM

religion is not science if you want religion taught in schools fight for a Theology class, but don’t steal time from science.

momof9 June 13, 2008, 5:10 PM

I just wonder why so many people seem to be so terrified of their children hearing about different theories of creation or even different religious theories. Obviously there were no video cameras and no living human saw “it” happen so we have no eye-witnesses to testify either so every belief about creation no matter how many science degrees one may have is just that a belief. I deliberately expose my children to all the various theories of creation and other scientific theories of all kinds. We even have some copies of old journals that reveal something we tend to forget in our worship of and unquestioning belief in the infallibility of modern science is that scientists throughout history have been astoundingly wrong many many times. At one point in our not so distant history you might remember that most “scientists” and virtually all “learned” men believed that the world was…. Gasp!!! Flat!!! That even in the early days of our own country most doctors believed that illness was caused by bad blood or demons in the blood and would routinely bleed patients as a means to heal them many times causing their patients deaths. The first ones who suggested that the world may be “roundish” were laughed at or jailed and were always generally outcast by a society who much like ours today only wanted to hear something if the majority believed it to be true. It was the same way when it was suggested that small “bugs” now known as germs may be the cause of disease. My children have good minds and when they are presented with scientific evidence I want them to question it no matter how many people believe it to be true. As history has proven over and over the most popular beliefs are often the wrong ones. I want them to compare studies to use logic and history and personal experience to draw conclusions. I definately do not want them just vomiting up what some biased science teacher pumped into their mind from a text book that is probably already at least 5 years outdated by the time they get it in their hands. I am not afraid of my children hearing many sides of any scientific theory I am much more terrified that they grow up to be as narrow minded as the ones who thought their students that the world was flat.

SugarPlumFairy June 17, 2008, 2:24 PM

I’m with momof9. While I can’t imagine the classroom as a place where Genesis would be taught, I think it is very unfair to us Christians for evolution to be taught as truth, while creation is taught/dismissed as a fairy tale for those who can’t think for themselves. I feel like all should be treated as theories, if you’re going to call any of them theories at all.

Suzanne June 18, 2008, 3:29 PM

Hey SugarPlumFairy and momof9-

Most people don’t have a problem with having their children learn about creationism along with evolution; we just don’t want it in our tax payer funded classrooms. As much as you don’t want to admit it, creationism is a RELIGIOUS theory, not a scientific one. RELIGIOUS theories belong in either private religious schools or in a house of worship. My daughter goes to Sunday school and learns about Genesis but in school she will learn about evolution and that is exactly the way I want it. If I wanted her to learn about Genesis in the school she attends on weekdays then it would be up to me to send her to a private religious school.

Get over yourselves and your holier than thou attitude and remove the sticks from your (I think you know the word that should be at the end of this sentence).

Aine June 22, 2008, 2:13 AM

If you want to teach “Creationism,” give equal time and inflection on EACH of the Creation “Myths” in the world.

I know it would take a long time, but it’s the only way to be fair.

“Sure! A Deity Did It… But Which One?”
Oh that’s right, I’m sorry: Teaching Any Other God than “God” wouldn’t be “separation of Church and State” … Now that hardly makes sense… >_>
(Laws are here to protect YOUR religious sensibilities as well! OPen that door and I PROMISE you we will all come dashing through it! I want to see America teach my child how the Hindu say we got here!)

Anonymous June 22, 2008, 11:42 AM

Nain,
Yes, exactly… I definately want my children to hear about as many different theories for our origins as possible. I go out of my way to fill in the blanks in their education with new ideas. I do want them to know what the majority of scientists believe to be true but I also want them to take a look at what some other equally well educated scientists believe in what may be a totally opposite direction. I make sure they know what others believe and we search for the science behind these beliefs. I think one of the main reasons our country is falling behind the world scietifically is that we are stiffling the natural curiosity of our children with words like…. “Well most scientists believe it so don’t question it”. All great scientific achievements are made when someone most people think is a quack dares to question the norm. I do not want my children to believe something just because most scientists do. So please do open that door lets revive our melting pot especially in the area of scientific researc.

Mrs. X July 17, 2008, 10:34 PM

Look what has happened since they have took God out of our schools. I believe it is up to the parents to teach the beliefs but the farther away we are from the bible, the worser things fall apart…draw your own conclusion….