Handcuffed Student Fights Back

Marche Taylor speaks out to the Moms who commented on her recent arrest.

When we posted the story of a teen girl who was arrested after wearing a risque dress to her prom, moms wanted answers. We went straight to the source and got a first-person account of what really happened the night the high school senior got bounced from the big night.

Mom Comment:

The radio stations are talking about the dress, but no one has asked, "Where is the father?"

ML:
Did your mother or father see this dress prior to the prom?

Marche: My grandmother was at the house when I was getting dressed. I don't live with my parents. She didn't think anything was wrong with it. She thought I looked pretty for the prom.

Mom comment:

There was no need for an arrest. Would you have wanted your CHILD arrested if they chose to make the wrong choice in FASHION? Contrary to how she is dressed, she is still a child. She's dressed no differently than the women in the videos that you may allow your teens to watch.

ML: Did you learn anything from this incident?

Marche: I learned when it has something to do with the school, you shouldn't dress like that. I didn't draw or design my dress exactly like that, it came out that way, but it's not what I initially wanted. I don't regret wearing it at all. I am good at drawing, and liked what I designed. I want to be a model and I like drawing what I want to wear.

Mom comment:
This was this young lady's prom; her dress was not so provocative to get her kicked out of it. There are many reasons why a young lady would find that dress attractive and suitable; for one, take a look at the role models and what they are wearing. Why don't we focus on more important teen issues, such as suicide, teen pregnancy, and violence, and take the focus off such petty things such as this dress? The complainers need to find something better to do.

ML: Do you agree people should find better things to tackle than what you wore to your prom?

Marche: I agree. I think the school should focus on educating students and not waste their time on little issues like my dress or the boys who wear sagging pants. My arrest wasn't about my dress, it was about me wanting my money back. I didn't have a chance to go to the prom. I am a senior getting ready to graduate next week and I don't have any memories, except in handcuffs. I just wanted to go to my prom, and now I missed out.

Do you think she should've been arrested?

next: TV Causes Mom Flashback
Anonymous May 20, 2008, 8:46 AM

As far as I know, there aren’t any laws against bad taste or poor judgment. Unless the city has some law on the books dictating required attire for school I can’t think of any reason why this girl should have been arrested.

April May 20, 2008, 8:49 AM

Anonymous - all schools have a dress code. And that includes a dress code for social occasions, such as prom. And FYI, she wasn’t arrested for her lack of taste, class, or modesty - she was arrested for causing a scene after not being allowed in.

sherry May 20, 2008, 9:00 AM

I think the dress is tacky and inappropriate and would have freaked out if my daughter tried to go out in it - but I would have freaked out even more if she had been ARRESTED.

With all the crime that goes on everywhere on a daily basis I’m sure the cops could have found more important things to do.

Michael May 20, 2008, 9:19 AM

I doubt she was arrested just for wearing the dress. As an anonymous poster said she was arrested for creating a scene when she demanded her money back. I do think the arrest may have been a bit much but then again I was not there and I am not going to second guess the police. I also completely disagree with the view that the dress was appropriate. I don’t care what her role models might be wearing, I would never allow my daughter to wear a dress like that at her age.

shelleyb321 May 20, 2008, 7:16 PM

the girl is 18 or younger the dress is way to reveling. the police were call because she would not leave and then arruged with the police thats why she got arrested.

Yolanda May 21, 2008, 9:19 PM

If she was not let in to her once in a lifetime senior prom, regardless of how she dressed, she should have gotten her money back. It was totally unfair for them to single her out. Adults are just as bad as children when it comes to criticism. They probably embarrassed the girl in front of her peers instead of pulling her to the side and giving her the option to change, so she did the only thing a young lady would do when she feels threatened, get defensive. She probably did get loud because whomever confronted her about her attire did not do it in the proper manner. Let’s set an example for our young people, adults need to learn how to talk/treat other peoples children.

Yolanda May 21, 2008, 9:43 PM

Sometimes adults are as mean with their comments as a two year old. Whoever informed her that she could not attend the prom in that dress probably did not pull her to the side. They most likely told her out loud and in front of several people, when the best thing would have been to pull her to the side and give her the option to go home and change since it was her once in a lifetime senior prom night. So the girl did the only thing she thought was right after being confronted in a probably nasty way, she defended her right to be there or return her money. Gee wiz people someone has to set an example on how to treat our young adults no matter what she was wearing, maybe a little respect for her feelings would have had a totally different outcome.

DWR May 21, 2008, 10:37 PM

This dress was tacky but that is not the larger issue. The comment about speaking to her on the side as not to embarass her was the right approach. The other issue is when youth are being raised by family memeber twice their generation al years that’s a problem. Most Grandmother’s would have thought they baby looked good. The problem is reality is being on a run way is very different than being at a prom. Someone should help her set appropriate boundaries. There was a time when dress was distingushed by where you were going i.e. church clothes; school clothes…

carrie May 21, 2008, 11:43 PM

She shouldn’t have been arrested, I think she was toatally discriminated against but she should have put more thought into the dress if it wasn’t the one she initially wanted, and the school had no right to keep her money!! If it was me I would sue the school for discrimination !!

AS May 22, 2008, 12:05 AM

I think that the girl’s prom dress is NOT acceptable! She wore something like that to stand out. That is something that she should NOT have worn to prom! Get real!
The way kids dress nowadays is pathetic!

Tia May 22, 2008, 2:05 AM

Uh, I’m not so sure that’s a girl…

Kim  May 22, 2008, 3:40 AM

We don’t know the whole story. If she got nasty and threatened to or got violent, then yes she should have been arrested. I cannot believe her Grandmother thought that strip of cloth was appropriate for the beach, much less a high school prom.
It really is a shame that all she learned was that she should not dress like that for school. Nothing about her actions getting her arrested and she still thinks that dress was okay to go out in public, because she wants to be a model. Just because you see something in a magazine or on a runway, does not mean that it is a tasteful and appropriate garment for a teenager or young woman.
She said she does not live with her mother, so who is parenting her and teaching her the difference between tasteful and trashy? She needs a positive role model in her life, who can teach her to respect herself .

disgusted parent May 22, 2008, 8:46 AM

Why does someone always have to scream discrimination? From all reports, she was completely disrespectful and rude when she was told the dress was inappropriate for the Prom (WHICH IT WAS). Maybe children should be taught to be more respectful of others instead of yelling discrimination if they don’t get their way.

Anonymous May 22, 2008, 9:21 AM

hey mom ur kid is a reflection of u and what you let them be exposed to . and there is something very wrong in our society of so called”role models ” for these young ladies-this is what ur raising her to be i hope. her body is a precious gift. teach her to respect it and to make others respect it. if YOU don’t who will? someone like britney? Lindsey? FLAVA FLAV? get a clue lady!

cg May 22, 2008, 9:34 AM

hey mom, ur daughter is a direct reflection of u, and what you allow her to be exposed to. whether living with grandparents or not did she not get any home training before hand? ur supposed to be raising her to become a respectable young women- and your right there is something very wrong in our society when young ones think this kind of thing is ok. teach her that her body is a precious gift-teach her to RESPECT IT and make others RESPECT IT. if you don’t who would u like to do it? lil’ kim? britney? lindsey? FLAVA @#$%% FLAV? get a clue lady!!!

lisa May 22, 2008, 10:04 AM

For all the negativity about this young lady’s upbringing is wrong. She made a mistake in a dress that she designed herself. That should count for something. She still a child that can read so you negative people can’t keep it positive then don’t say nothing at all. She’s a bright young lady who made wrong choices in her once in a lifetime event. The cops should have just taken her home instead of taking her to a cell. So I say their was no adults their at this so called prom. An adult should have told her in appropiate manner what was going on and to come back the next day to resolve the matter.

AT May 22, 2008, 11:12 AM

Excuse me..you mean to tell me you had no clue your school would boot you out of the place if you wore something like that? Come on you know how strict schools are so don’t go playing all innocent. Your dress was wrong and you know it. That attire is for hoochie mama clubbing and I do not see you fitting the bill for that. I agree the school should have booted you out. And I do think they should have given you the option to go home and change then come back. But after you got all huffy with them I can understand them not giving you that option. I know you were upset but you should have known better.
And what parent or grandparent would dare let their child out of the house wearing such mess? I parent or guardian that obviously did not care.
As for your arrest…well I was not there to see what tantrum you threw but I am sure they had their reasons.
The whole thing could have been avoided had you used common sense and not wore that mess to your prom. You have no one to blame but yourself young lady.

pab May 22, 2008, 12:51 PM

I’m sure, as I just went through this, there was a dress code to adhere to. No matter how inappropriate the dress was, where is the respect for her elders when she was informed to leave. I think this all escalated because of her behavior. In the end, her behavior was poor judgment— not her dress. Why was she the only one dressed inappropriately? She should have followed the rules!

Brent May 23, 2008, 7:13 AM

She looks good, alot of the comments she gets are from jealous women.

Darri May 23, 2008, 8:01 AM

That is not a DRESS- that is she me and all my stuff! Grandma needs to get new Glasses if she thinks she looks good