Kids React to Miley Scandal

What do your tweens and teens think of the Vanity Fair photos?

We were concerned about how kids are reacting to Miley Cyrus' photos, so we looked online for their opinions and also asked our own kids and their friends what they thought. Here's what we they had to say.

We turned to Shannon Fox for how to talk to our kids when they come to us and either say, "I think Miley's photos are cool!" or "Miley's photos upset me."

From Shannon Fox
"If your teen or tween thinks the photo is cool, ask them why they think so. Explain to them that this photo of Miley is being interpreted as seductive whether she meant it to be or not.

"Use this as an opportunity to teach right or wrong when it comes to photos and video being posted on your child's MySpace account. How would you feel if everyone misinterpreted a photo you posted? Also, you can tell your child this photo is now permanent record and the same can happen if he/she posts a photo.

"Explain to your tween or teen that Miley has fans of all ages, as young as 4 or 5, who may see these photos. How do you think they feel about it? Do you think it was OK for them to see Miley like this?

"If your child is upset by these photos, you need to ask lots of questions to understand why. What is upsetting you about it? Most likely they are upset because the innocent image he or she has of Miley has been shattered.

"Make this a teaching moment about how celebrity role models are human and are not perfect. Explain how your child can model themselves after the positive part of Miley. As an outlet for your child's feelings, have him or her write a letter to the teen star expressing why he or she is upset with Miley."

next: Tom Shows Oprah Suri's 'Office'
Kimberly May 1, 2008, 9:29 AM

As a parent I blame the magazine, they more or less said this is what we what. I believe that they took advantage of the parents and Miley. I know how companies can be!

Carol Battaglia May 1, 2008, 11:01 AM

The picture shows no more than a halter bathing suit does. Have anymoe what 15 year old swim suits look like. Give her a break. She entertains my hole family and I would hate for that to end because of a picture. So we saw a shoulder. Look at normal 15 year olds.

Mom_Renee May 1, 2008, 11:22 AM

This is really interesting… as a mom, the picture in my home, in my collection of photos, shows my beautiful daughter at an age between child and woman.

But my 15 yo daughter’s picture - that picture - posted for public viewing? It’s much too intimate a picture.

Ginny May 1, 2008, 12:48 PM

I’m not upset about this photo, per se. But I think it was a pretty bad judgment call. Most teenagers play around with looks like this. You know, posing in the mirror and all. But this isn’t your mirror at home or in a dressing room.

When you are in a position of leadership, or you have people who look up to you, you have got to be more responsible about the decisions you make. In her case, she also should have had her dad and other adults in her life helping her make better choices.

I absolutely would not allow my 15 year old daughter to pose like this in any magazine for any purpose. No matter how famous she was.

I’m glad Miley took responsibility for this. I hope they were her words, and that she meant it. Both for her sake, and for the kids who look up to her. I also think the media should just let it go. It’s done. Get over it.

gragusa@mail.com May 1, 2008, 1:01 PM

I can see that maybe the picture is supposed to summon some earthy child like fairy pose, complete innocence shortly to fall prey to the unsuspecting adult channels and perception of the Miley Cyrus picture I personally didn’t like the one of the father and daughter together. It just seems to mature, and to provocative for my taste. I would have preferred him with his hand on her shoulders as showing a fathers protectiveness towards his daughter. The other photo seems a bit suggestive.

Dominique Abatangelo May 1, 2008, 1:10 PM

Our young people need a lot of prayer.
Young people in the entertainment
industry and their parents also need
tons of prayer because of the pressure
put upon them all around.

BirdsFly May 1, 2008, 1:12 PM

It’s not a sexy picture, it’s not even an attractive picture. She’s a very pretty girl and that photo makes her look too skinny in the back and all blotchy in the face.

Karen Collins May 1, 2008, 1:19 PM

With 8th grade girls sending nude photos of themselves over their cell phones having Miley Cyrus pose so provocatively makes it acceptable in the eyes of young girls who admire her so much.

Lori Morefield May 1, 2008, 1:41 PM

I blame her parents. Teenagers are always wanting to do things that are too mature for their age, like THEIR role models. This is the object of parenting. There is no way I would EVER let my daughter be seen in public, in a MAGAZINE topless. Not the point that she’s not actually showing anything. She is 15. Way too sexy, and definitely quite inappropriate. There are all these little girls that look up to her, and now they will want to look like her. With all the weirdos out there, definitely not cool. Oh, and I’m not even going to comment on the way too overly suggestive pics of her and her dad. What is wrong with that man? BE A DAD! Stop trying to pimp out your daughter inappropriately, just because you want the money, you washed-up has been. Why would you want grown men seeing your little girl half naked? Ugh.

Rockstar Parent May 1, 2008, 5:44 PM

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion. The media today just can’t seem to understand that there is a role model out there for children who is actually normal and has her head on straight. So they find the littlest details and make it into some huge debate just to bring her down. Excuse Miley for trying to live the most normal life she possibly can, and excuse her for being a normal teen going through normal teen situations. Those pictures are in no way wrong, it was what she was asked to do. The photographer is known for pictures like that and going to that photographer she must have known what she was in for and she was ok with that. Other famous people today have done much worse things and these pictures are nothing. We should be glad Miley isn’t doing drugs or partying out late. She realizes her mistake and she apologizes for that. In my opinion the pictures were artistic, as Miley herself described them, and that’s just how the Vanity Fair Magizine is, so what else would you expect from it? As parents you shouldn’t even be showing these pictures to you younger children at all. Why crush their Miley fandom at such a young age? And what 5-year old is even picking up a Vanity Fair magazine anyway? As a parent you should be hiding this from the young Miley fans in your household and let them keep on believing that she is a good girl. Because Miley is a good girl! So she did something “bad” once. Big deal! She obviously won’t be continuing this so why make a big deal over it. Sure the older Miley fans can make their own assumptions, but my teen Miley fan still believes in her because Miley has done so much more good in the world. As the song goes “nobody’s perfect” and just because she made one mistake doesn’t mean we should be labeling her.

shelleyb321 May 1, 2008, 5:46 PM

if this was just some john doe taking a half naked photo of some 15 yr old it would be considered child pron. I think miley is a child still a very smart one at that but still to young to make decisions of what type of photos are acceptialbe, she is a great role modle and i hope this is not the begining of a down ward fall.
girls at that age what to be sexy and beutiful and dont always make the best decions.

Rockstar Parent May 1, 2008, 5:47 PM

? May 3, 2008, 6:22 PM

I’m 13 year old girl and I’d like to tell you almost everyone at my school does this and I’m pretty sure she had her parents consent.

Mom2Divas May 3, 2008, 10:27 PM

Wow…so much understanding..well, not from me. Sorry! She is 15!!!! And a comment said that we should be hiding these photos from our children..really? If you said there is nothing wrong with them then why hide them…MAYBE BECAUSE ITS A 15 YEAR OLD GIRL…NAKED!!! seriously people..come on. I have 2 girls and 1st can you say grounded forever if i ever caught them doing anything like this..and we wont get into what their father would say. I do blame Billy Ray for these pics, but Miley is responsible too. She should have known better than to ALLOW these photos to be taken. If she was just an average girl this would be wrong, but because she is a roll model its ok…thats backwards. BECAUSE SHE IS A ROLL MODEL IT MAKES IT WORSE…she wants to be a roll model for kids then she needs to act like on..untill then my daughter will not be listening to her music..i dont want her thinking its ok to be 15 and taking naked pics…hell its never ok..even at my age…respect your body, its for you and your husband..not millions of ppl around the world!!

Anon May 5, 2008, 10:58 AM

Who really cares what she does anymore? I don’t.

deb May 8, 2008, 10:02 PM

It’s just sad that she has now joined the masses of bleached bimbos who think they have to show off their sexuality so early in order to sell herself. I thought she was doing ok without resorting to the oldest trick in the book. It’s just getting SO old and they (Britney, Lindsey and Miley) have a tiny bit of talent and are way overpaid. Where are the real hereo teenagers - why doesn’t Mom Logic promote them? Give our teens someone worthy of looking up too please? My Gosh we have a bunch of TV and video game addicts who look up to someone because they get behind a microphone and shake or some overpaid basketball player without a brain making a fortune because he can throw a ball in a hoop.

Carlie July 9, 2008, 11:45 PM

GIVE HER A BREAK PEOPLE THESE PICS ARE FINE!!!!!

MILEYHATER July 22, 2008, 6:21 PM

can this girl just fall off the face of the planet or die?
she’s soo irritating. people waste their time talking about her like she’s actually talented.

Actorgirl0813 August 7, 2008, 10:44 AM

From a teenage poit of view, I understand that there are little girls that look up to her but, I think this got blown out of proportion. A bathing suit shows off more. People made a bigger deal about seeing her shoulder and part of her back than they did about Jamie Lynn being pregnant. Just being a celebrity puts a lot of pressure on her. Expect her to make mistakes.

Erika August 30, 2008, 11:41 PM

I THINK , well, i know this sounds crazy at first… but, disney put her up to it, BECAUSE guys would think she was cooler and possibly buy her stuff. And I miss old Miley but, all stars should have SOME privacy!!!!!!!