Is Your Child Safe with the Sitter?

We've seen horrifying images of babies being beaten, slapped, yelled at, and neglected by the people entrusted to take care of them--their sitters.

videogonebutton.jpg

Do you suspect that your sitter may not be taking the best care of your child while you're at work or out of the house? Do you want to find out how your sitter is treating your child?

Momlogic.com is launching a hidden camera investigation and wants to hear from moms interested in seeing exactly what their sitter is up to while they're away.  Would you like to participate and be part of our investigation?  Ever wonder what your babysitter does when you are not home than click here to possibly take part.

Anonymous May 23, 2008, 1:50 PM

I’ve been able to avoid a nanny so far but you never know, even with a weekend sitter on occasion. Go with your gut if you think something is wrong.

Anonymous May 23, 2008, 1:56 PM

Anonymous May 23, 2008, 4:39 PM

Anonymous May 26, 2008, 4:14 PM

I am a very reliable experienced loving nanny but I am very uncomfortable with anyone videotaping me - whether I know about it or not! In fact in college I had a panic attack while being videotaped during student teaching!
How would your employers feel if someone videotaped them while they were working at their job? I think the best way to check up on your nanny is to make unannounced visits home during the day and if you are suspicious that something is wrong- do not leave your precious children with that person for another minute!

4:11 PM

Kaitlyn May 26, 2008, 7:39 PM

I am also a nanny for a very trusting family. If I found out they were videotaping me without my permission, not only would I sue as this is very illegal in my state, but I would quit immediately. If you have any suspicions about what a nanny is doing at all, how can you justify leaving your child with that person again? A camera placed in your home to record what goes on is not going to stop abuse before it happens!

Chrissy May 28, 2008, 12:10 AM

I would videotape my nanny. I have no problem with it. I would videotape her in common areas of my home, where there could be no expectation of privacy, so there would be no lawsuit. I would love to know if my nanny is as great as I believe her to be. I do spot checks, but sometimes I wonder. No one can be that “ON” all the time. Maybe I will look into a nannycam, even if only temperorarily. The worse that happens is that I learn she is terrible, and fire her, and the best that happens is that it is confirmed that my nanny is superwonderful. I love it. Sign me up.

Anonymous June 1, 2008, 4:21 AM

I understand why parents feel safer with a videocamera. But all people, including nannies are entitled to personal space and basic privacy without being under surveilance.

If you disagree, think of this: As an employee working in someone else’s office have you ever talked to yourself, picked your teeth, eaten something messy in a hurry, had a personal phone conversation, burped, adjusted your bra or underwear, sang aloud, done a little dance, used a naughty word, checked your personal email, muttered a complaint under your breath or otherwise acted like a normal human being at your desk?

As you can imagine, it would be very embarrassing to have your boss record and watch you during every moment of youor day. It is even harder when you are in a home setting because you are inclined to feel comfortable and therefore more off guard.

As a nanny, I would not want every moment of my day available for reivew. To top it off, I often make dorky jokes, sing to the kids (and I can’t sing) and make up goofy dances.

I would say that if you do not trust the nanny, you should use a day care until the child is old enough to speak well.

Sas November 25, 2008, 11:31 PM