A Preschool Daughter's Obsession

Momlogic's Julie: My preschooler is crushing hard on Nick Jonas.

80429986.jpg

The other day, my daughter informed me that she was "in love" with someone. This stopped me in my tracks because, hello, SHE'S 4.

I knew I'd have to deal with crushes in junior high...elementary school, maybe--but pre-K? When she told me who she was "in love" with, I was even more disturbed: "I'm in love with Nick. From the Jonas Brothers,"
she declared, with a dreamy smile on her face. How does she even know who the Jonas Brothers are? And how does she know which one's Nick? My mind was reeling.

But she's not alone in her obsession. Two high school juniors sent thousands of emails to Oprah, lobbying the talk show diva to have The Jonas Brothers on her show, the Hartford Courant recently reported.

When the two attended the Jonas Brothers concert, they were shocked to be called on stage by the group and invited to the taping of Oprah, instantly becoming the envy of teens everywhere.

Apparently, countless daughters like mine are also in the throes of a "Jo-Bromance."

"I love Nick, I really love him, Mommy," my daughter told me, stomping her feet for emphasis. Hmm. She certainly sounded passionate. "Why do you love him?" I asked. "Because he has curly hair like me, and I love him," she said, in a "Duh, how could you not already know that?" kind of way. OK. I suppose I've fallen in love for stranger reasons.

You may recall my daughter is the same girl who recently became obsessed with Troy from High School Musical.
I'm starting to detect a pattern here: My daughter falls for cute Disney heartthrobs. What about Mickey Mouse? He's cute. Or Handy Manny? I just wish she would fall for someone a little more age-appropriate. Is that too much to ask?

next: For the Love of Lucy: Day 3
jonas fan May 12, 2008, 7:46 AM

nick jonas is hott!!

jonas fan May 12, 2008, 7:47 AM

nick jonas is so hot! how could you not love him. And Zac Efron who plays Troy is a hottie too!

Liz May 12, 2008, 8:40 AM

Haha, my 4 year old “loves” Nick as well. For about a year now. It helps that she finds he “looks like Daddy”.

I’ve tried to turn it into a positive influence. We’ve been to their concerts and she’s become very interested in which instruments he plays, etc. It’s been really fun. Can’t ask for anything better, more tolerable to share with your daughter than the Jonas Brothers!!

So I’m going with it. Like most moms I know, though, MY heart belongs to Joe. :)

Amanda May 12, 2008, 9:17 AM

My daughter is 12, she and I share an obsession with the JBs as well. My fav is Kevin, however. Hers is Nick…and she and her friends have collected over $100 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, in honor of Nick. I can’t think of better role models than JB. My daughter and I have bonded over them more than anything else (and my husband tolerates us).

marissa May 12, 2008, 9:28 AM

nick jonas is a hottie my mom likes joe though i guess it’s just an age thing….. they are great role models… nick with is diabetes and all of them trying to make a difference and they are!!!!!! more to love then just their looks!! :^)

amber nielsen May 12, 2008, 9:30 AM

That is so adorable I like joe the best though

jonas fan May 12, 2008, 4:06 PM

whats the big deal if she has a crush on nick jonas! its not a big deal. the jonas brothers are great role models for anyone. joe jonas is a hottie and so is nick. im fourteen so nick is best for me but it doesn’t matter. i love the jonas brothers!

jonas fan May 12, 2008, 4:08 PM

whats the big deal if she has a crush on nick jonas. the jonas brothers are great role models. i love nick jonas and joe jonas. im 14 so nick is best for me but it really doesn’t matter! i love the jonas brothers!! D>

Nick Jonas May 12, 2008, 7:30 PM

awww! that is so sweet! i love you too! thanks for all the support! i really love you guys! i love when little girls like me i think its adorable!

Alexa May 12, 2008, 10:11 PM

aha, that’s got to be just about the cutest thing ever! :D
the Jonas Brothers are my LIFE

Romi May 12, 2008, 10:42 PM

Thats So Cute! Even ZThough I Love His Older Brother Joe!

angel May 12, 2008, 11:03 PM

i guess nick does have a way of charming girls. i like him too, and well, lets just say he has changed my life for the better in more ways than one. he is really a good role model, especially knowing that he’s practically my age and yet he has good morals that not every teen has. it inspires me that he’s been living his dreams at such a young age. it just shows how with passion and determination, you can achieve all your dreams.

being a fan like you very own daughter, i have one advice in dealing with situations like this.

it would really help her if you would be interested in her “obssessions”. it makes a JB fan feel great when her mom seems to be interested about the Jonas Brothers. You would find her more open to you, and seemingly you two would feel a lot closer. I know your daughter would really love you to bond with her in this kind of stuff. I did wish all the time that my mom was interested in them. It would have made us closer and have a much open relationship that all JB fans and their moms have. :)

Jessica May 12, 2008, 11:50 PM

Aww.

And the whole crushing thing is totally normal. i had the biggest crush when I was 8 on Zach Hanson. (I spelled his name wrong but oh well.)

I think she’ll grow out of it too. I may only be 15, but I am a lot wiser than most teenagers.

good luck to you!

brooke May 13, 2008, 8:27 AM

i love the jonas brothers, they have definately changed my life for the better. They are great role models for kids and all have great morals and have stayed grounded, I’m 15 and Nick Jonas is one of my heros for doing what he loves and helping people with diabetes it helps them to not give up and to stay strong. My 7 year old cousin is the same about “loving” one but she loves Frankie xD I’m glad she loves such a great band who are such postive role models on my generation.

Mie May 13, 2008, 11:14 AM

I love the Jonas Brothers too. Im 15. Nick is a rolemodel for me. The way he helps other kids that has Diabetis. And the way he didnt let is low him down! He’s a true fighter! Their music helped me get trough alot. And they still do.
They sure ghanged my life !

She’ll get over that crush. When the next Disney boy pops on the screen. ( Okay that might not help)Well.

Good luck to you with your daughter.

I dont blame her for loving him though =) I do to.

Nick J is my GuitarHero =)

And sorry of there is some wrong spelling in this. Im from Denmark.

Jess May 13, 2008, 11:26 AM

Haha!
Look at this way, you’re daughter has great taste! Nick Jonas is a wonderful boy to have a crush on. I understand the age issue though…I dont know what you’d do about that, but know she has a good crush in Nick J! :P

Carmen May 13, 2008, 12:34 PM

Is that you have not seen Nick J?
He is a perfect model to follow and more if his daughter is 4 years. Do not worry that Jonas are very healthy for them because investigativa purity rings are up. But let your daughter dream with them because they better than others that the damage.

Kevin es el que esta mas bueno!! :)

princess53 May 13, 2008, 1:17 PM

i luv nick 2! they r a very positive influence! so my mom likes that! oh by the way im 16 & im totally n love w/ nick jonas!!! so moms the falling n luv w/ teen heartthrobs never stops! i used 2 b n luv with the backstreet boys, dream street, jesse mccartney, zac efron, & now the jonas brothers especially nick! so even as ur daughters get older they will still b falling n luv w/ teen stars!! i mean im 16 & still watch disney channel! i just look 4 the more positive romodels! the jonas brothers r the poster boys 4 positive!!! plus they r really cute, christian, & down 2 earth! they r just great all 2gether!!! luv u guys! especially nick!!!!!!!=)

princess53 May 13, 2008, 1:23 PM

im n luv w/ nick jonas 2 & im 16!!! i still watch disney channel 2! u know 2 get all the latest news on jb! so no matter what ur daughters will alwayz fall 4 the teen heartthrobs! i used 2 like backstreet boys, dreamstreet, jesse mccartney, zac efron, & now the jonas brothers especially nick! the boys r really cute, positive, christian, & down 2 earth! they r the poster boys 4 AWESOMENESS!!! I LOVE THE JONAS BROTHERS!!! especially nick!!!

jobrofan4life May 13, 2008, 3:01 PM

How could anyone not like them???