A Preschool Daughter's Obsession

Momlogic's Julie: My preschooler is crushing hard on Nick Jonas.

80429986.jpg

The other day, my daughter informed me that she was "in love" with someone. This stopped me in my tracks because, hello, SHE'S 4.

I knew I'd have to deal with crushes in junior high...elementary school, maybe--but pre-K? When she told me who she was "in love" with, I was even more disturbed: "I'm in love with Nick. From the Jonas Brothers,"
she declared, with a dreamy smile on her face. How does she even know who the Jonas Brothers are? And how does she know which one's Nick? My mind was reeling.

But she's not alone in her obsession. Two high school juniors sent thousands of emails to Oprah, lobbying the talk show diva to have The Jonas Brothers on her show, the Hartford Courant recently reported.

When the two attended the Jonas Brothers concert, they were shocked to be called on stage by the group and invited to the taping of Oprah, instantly becoming the envy of teens everywhere.

Apparently, countless daughters like mine are also in the throes of a "Jo-Bromance."

"I love Nick, I really love him, Mommy," my daughter told me, stomping her feet for emphasis. Hmm. She certainly sounded passionate. "Why do you love him?" I asked. "Because he has curly hair like me, and I love him," she said, in a "Duh, how could you not already know that?" kind of way. OK. I suppose I've fallen in love for stranger reasons.

You may recall my daughter is the same girl who recently became obsessed with Troy from High School Musical.
I'm starting to detect a pattern here: My daughter falls for cute Disney heartthrobs. What about Mickey Mouse? He's cute. Or Handy Manny? I just wish she would fall for someone a little more age-appropriate. Is that too much to ask?

next: For the Love of Lucy: Day 3
Kyka May 13, 2008, 4:45 PM

cutie *—-*

Natalie May 13, 2008, 5:17 PM

omg that is just about the cutest thing ive ever heard!! im 14 and i’m in LOVEEE the jonas brothers!!! don’t worry about the age issue, he’s a celebrity and it’s not like anything will happen.
hope that helped!!
-Mrs. Nick Jonas hehehe

fany May 13, 2008, 6:26 PM

oooohhh that’s a sweet story cuase i’m in love with nick too but never mind that a little girl like her feel the same. maybe i can hear my friens talkin abaout them or saying nick is hott but well here in mexico (cause i’m from mexico) people say that for love isn’t age and this little girl can show us that, haha good and i agree with that gilr cause i really love his hair and others thousands of things too it’s really hard find a defect in this boy.

well bye

Mee May 13, 2008, 6:27 PM

omgg she is sooooo cutee! that is friking adorable..!! who doesn’t love him

Estefania May 13, 2008, 6:31 PM

Awww super cute! Don’t worry Nick and his brothers are 3 of the best rolemodels every! Even though I LOVE Joe I have to admit Nick is a cutie too!

woah. May 13, 2008, 7:08 PM

that is one awesome kid you got on your hands :P

Luiza May 13, 2008, 7:52 PM

Mommy, i want an Orginal Jonas from Christmas! Can you give me one ?

Jeanine May 13, 2008, 7:57 PM

awwww thats so cute :D

charlie May 14, 2008, 11:51 AM

BTW Nick Jonas has read this article just to let u know!!!!
HE HAS READ IT

Oh dear May 14, 2008, 7:47 PM

I wish the Jonas brothers were all about the punctuation. Wouldn’t it be great if they were all “How about capitalizing our names?” Or “We only like girls who can write proper sentences.” What a shame their fans write like they are in second grade!

Amanda May 22, 2008, 9:15 AM

My daughter is 5 and is the same way, except she says she is marrying Nick! I think its adorable…

kay June 6, 2008, 10:14 AM

lol my nephew loves hannah montana

nessa June 24, 2008, 6:58 PM

your child has problems nick jonas is butt ugly just like every one else in the jonas brothers =p

Anonymous September 9, 2008, 4:06 AM

Wow am I the only one who doesn’t care about the Jonas Brothers? They’re average looking boys with little singing talent who have been driven up to stardom by obsessive fans who apparently don’t have eardrums. Case and point, there rendition of “take on me” listen to it, without the screaming fans.
((Also listen to the original artist, who can sing))

She’ll most likely outgrow it.

emjonasmuch January 25, 2009, 6:47 PM

Well I dont blame her. lol that is so cute. I am a very big fan of the jo bros and i think that she is so cute for saying he has curly hair like I do. lol.

Amanda August 3, 2009, 4:46 PM

my little cuz is only 5 1/2 & she likes the Jonas Brothers it might not be to good to have a cursh that young but it is ok to like the Jonas Brothers

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 2:56 PM

I’ve gained a couple excellent suggestions for my website from reading this.

Shades Of Blonde Hair Color November 24, 2010, 11:38 PM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Average Height Of Chair Rail December 11, 2010, 1:08 AM

You know that children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers.

Merchant Services December 24, 2010, 8:35 PM

hit the nail around the head