Sweetie, Don't Call Me Mommy

On the campaign trail in Michigan, Obama made the huge blunder of dismissing a female reporter's question by calling her "sweetie." Well, at least he didn't call her Mommy.

nomommy.jpg

Momlogic's Andrea writes: OK, here's a rule of thumb, Obama, when courting women voters don't call them sexist names like sweetie...or honey, doll, or for that matter, sugar tits. Oh, and here's another rule, if you don't want to piss me off, don't call me "Mommy." Although I fully embrace my roll as mother or mom--when someone refers to me as "Mommy," I feel that morning sickness queasiness only a real "Mommy" can know.

When I first had my daughter and was going stir crazy in my new stay-at-home role, many of my friends suggested I attend a Mommy and Me class--an idea I found repellent. Wasn't there a group of women who got together with their babies called the more grammatically correct Mom and I? Or, how about this: "Scared Shitless Women Who Just Had Babies and are Going out of their F**king Mind from Boredom Group." What? Too long?

Being labeled as a Mommy sounds like you're doomed to an eternity of changing poopy diapers and shuttling kids to soccer practices. Plus, it sounds like too, too precious baby talk. When I've been asked if I like being a Mommy, I have to say, "Yes, but hey, I am way more than just that. I'm a writer, too." "Oh!," the hapless inquisitor exclaims. "It must be SO hard being a working mommy, tip-tap-tapping on your computer and witing your widdle stories!" Uh...well, yeah.

The only person on this planet who can call me "Mommy" is my daughter. When I hear her say it, my heart melts. But anyone else, please, talk to me like an adult. After all, I've pushed a baby out of my vagina. I've endured more pain than the average lumberjack. Show some respect.

next: Get Elisabeth's Look for Less!
ProudMommy May 16, 2008, 12:18 PM

Weird you have a problem with this — I like being called Mommy. I even like it when my husband calls me mommy. It’s cute and sweet

Mom24Girls May 16, 2008, 12:32 PM

My two oldest children have started calling me by my first name, and it’s a relief. They hear everyone refer to me by my name so they have started doing the same. Some people find it disrespectful, but since it’s my name I don’t mind. Some of us aren’t the “mommy” types.

katey May 16, 2008, 2:23 PM

You’re all weird

Sheri May 16, 2008, 4:17 PM

I’m 3 month pregnant and know I’m going to feel the same way. There’s something so condescending about the sound of Mommy.

Stephanie May 16, 2008, 5:01 PM

I can deal with my kids calling me Mommy, and even my kid’s friends calling me “(my child’s name)’s mommy”. It’s not so good when it comes from another adult, though. It just sounds so condescending to me too.

Margerite May 16, 2008, 5:26 PM

What in the world is “condescending” about the term Mommy?! It is merely a title. My kids call me by Mommy, Margerite, and several variations of those two. Loosen the eff up! Not everything is contrived to offend you.

Ugghh.

Naomi May 16, 2008, 6:31 PM

I agree with a lot of these chicks having weird associations with mommy. I love being a mother and having my children call me mom or mommy is wonderful and is respectful. I DO NOT, however, allow my husband to call me that. ew. I did not push HIM out of my vajayjay!

Julius May 16, 2008, 8:32 PM

Depending on when, where, and who it’s coming from I can totally see Mommy sounding condescending—like addressing an adult man as Timmy.

April May 16, 2008, 11:18 PM

I don’t think anyone said being called “mommy” by their children is condescending - they merely said they think it’s condescending when other ADULTS call them “mommy.” I allow my kids to call me “mommy”… no one else. My name is April, and unless I gave birth to you, you can call me by my name. I don’t find it offensive, but I do find it a tad annoying when a grown man (or woman) calls me “mommy.”

Lesley May 17, 2008, 7:57 AM

Maybe I missed something here, but why would another adult call someone “Mommy”??

I love being a mom, and have 4 kids that have used the words “Mommy” and “Mom” for many years. I have never in all my 18 years of motherhood have had anyone besides my kids call me “Mommy”. Why would someone do that??

mami2fine May 19, 2008, 3:50 PM

I hate that to. I’m not YOUR Mom, so please call me by my name. It’s fine when you refer to me as ‘my childs name’s ’ Mommy I can live with that. Even when you are talking to my child in reference to me, that’s good too. But Do Not call me Mommy. My Mommy NAMED ME. Please use it.

Heather June 12, 2008, 3:04 PM

I don’t like being called mommy…not even by my daughter. I love being a mom but the word mommy sounds so whiny. The only time I seem to hear kids say mommy is when they want something. However, I have never had another adult call me mommy except for my husband….and he just does it to bug me. :)

CK1 September 10, 2008, 12:37 AM

Goodness gracious…A Discussion about whether being called Mommy should be ok? Well, alright I’ll play… I am the mother of 4 and grandmother of 2. My children call me Momma and so does my husband when the kids are around. When they are not around I am Honey or Pumpkin. I don’t mind either. All of them are a just his way of showing me he respects me as all of the above. Now if another adult called me any of those names I would probably feel uncomfortable.