Teen Trend: Inner Lip Tattoos

Ouch...how painful does this look?

When we were in Texas for our Momlogic Investigates: Spring Break Confessions expose, we encountered a guy who alerted us to a disturbing new trend...inner lip tattoos. Yes, we're serious. Check out our video to see for yourself!

We asked teen expert and psychologist Dr. Lisa Boesky what Moms should do if your teen wants one. Here, her top 5 tips:

• If your teen is under 18, the answer is no. If you're deadset against an inner lip tattoo, simply don't give parental consent. Communicate that, at 18, your teen can make decisions about his own body, but for now, you have the final say. Make your teen aware of the very harsh consequences if he gets a tattoo behind your back.

• Discuss location, location, location. If the tattoo is definitely happening, there might be room for negotiation about placement. An eagle over the whole back is definitely a bigger deal than a tiny butterfly on the ankle. I like to remind girls their "tramp stamp" (lower back tattoo) will some day turn into a "gram-stamp"--for their granny years.

• Bring in reinforcements. If you are open to the idea of your teen getting a tattoo, make sure you talk to their pediatrician and dentist first. The dangers of tattoos and piercing are many--in fact, there have been a number of recent deaths as a result of infections stemming from tattoos. You definitely want to consult a professional so your teen fully understands the dangers.

If you agree to the tattoo or piercing...

Check out the tattoo parlor for yourself. It's imperative they go to a professional with a good reputation for quality, cleanliness and a sterile environment. Parents need to research appropriate places, then go and visit. You wouldn't let your teen have surgery or go to a new dentist without checking it out first, right? Have a good sense the professional has your teen's best interest (instead of pocketbook) at heart.

Would you let your teen get an inner lip tattoo?

next: Adoption's Not for Sissies
starcraft 2 cd key July 7, 2010, 9:50 PM

Hi great site! really cool and can be a new inspirations! Good luck

kindle case July 13, 2010, 12:55 AM

Blogs these days are not the only communication tool and I¡¯m much more active on Twitter than here although I plan on blogging more often when I have enough time to do so

Mrs.Carr August 19, 2010, 12:01 PM

I didnt really feel my inner lip tattoo when the guy was doing it for me. After like 3-5 minutes he was finished,and I didnt believe him. It just didnt hurt.
The only person who has seen my inner lip tattoo that I didnt show myself was my dentist.lol

Bank online with Chase October 18, 2010, 10:32 AM

Hey, I just hopped over to your site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would normally read, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for making something worth reading.

Elijah the Panda January 15, 2011, 2:29 PM

I dont get why so may parents are against tattoos and piercings. I’m only 16 and I’ve already decided that I’m getting a portrait of my sister’s face on my upper thigh and I could really give a damn what anyone has to say. Tattoos, to me, are beautiful. Your body is a canvas that needs to be filled. :)
PS: The whole defense saying that once your old, your tattoos will look nasty makes no sense. When your old your skin looks gross either way.. I’d rather it look gross and pretty at the same time ;).

arm tattoos for guys March 20, 2011, 3:55 AM

Armband tattoos are the most popular of the body art that can be made temporary or permanent. As arms are fleshier than the ankles and lower back it makes the whole process simpler.

frostwire March 29, 2011, 6:17 PM

I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

louis vuitton Handbags May 7, 2011, 6:51 PM

I notice you have not written one more weblog for a while?