Top 4 Conceiving Myths

Sure, you may think you know how to get pregnant ... but do you?

sex_crop.jpg

Kim Hahn, founder and editor in chief of Conceive magazine, shares the top four misconceptions about conceiving and helps you get it right about getting pregnant.

MYTH: If you're trying to get pregnant, you should start having sex as much as possible.
REALITY:
The biggest mistakes couples make when trying to get pregnant are having sex too often (!) and not knowing their cycle. Determining your most fertile days is the single best thing you can do for success. Then have sex every other day starting about a week before ovulation. Since sperm can live in the female reproductive tract for a few days, having sex every other day will ensure that sperm are present when you ovulate. Too much sex can actually reduce a man's sperm count temporarily.

MYTH: Infertility is almost always a woman's problem.
REALITY:
Actually, male infertility is just as likely to be the culprit--in fact, it's about a 50-50 split. When a couple begins trying to conceive, both should have full reproductive screenings to look for any irregularities.

MYTH: There's no way to control whether you have a boy or girl.
REALITY:
Many sex selection methods are hit or miss, but according to some doctors, female sperm swim slower than male sperm, so if you are trying for a boy, have sex right after ovulation, and if you want a girl, stop having sex two days before ovulation.

There are also high-tech options that have a much greater chance of influencing the sex of the baby--for example, MicroSort®, a technique that sorts sperm into X-bearing (female) and Y-bearing (male) sperm, done with intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization. If you're doing IVF, you can also determine gender with preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD)--that is, testing your embryos before they're implanted into the womb. PGD is primarily used to find out whether any of your embryos carry a genetic disorder, but a handful of clinics will do it just for sex selection (rather than medical) reasons. While sex selection using PGD gives you a 100% guarantee, many people believe it brings up ethical issues, including sex discrimination.

MYTH: Trying-to-have-a-baby sex inevitably starts feeling like a chore.
REALITY:
When you're trying to conceive, having sex on a schedule can get boring and stressful. But you can keep it sensual by adding some variety to your routine:

1. Skip sex between the days you are most fertile. When the time for baby-making is ripe, the passion will be soaring.
2. Have sex somewhere other than the bed. Try the kitchen countertops or the living room couch.
3. Do it at different times of the day. If you usually make love at night, try going at it in the morning before work, or meet each other at home during your lunch break.

next: Are Your Kids Making You Fat?
Manara September 16, 2008, 8:01 AM

Try having both partners take Kelp in pill form. A friend of mine was told she would never have kids and was on the pill anyway just in case. She was taking kelp to help with a sluggish thyroid and ended up having 3 kids within 5 years. She says kelp balances out nutritional and hormonal imbalances for both men and women, which could be part of the problem. Balance things out and drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. Dehydration causes all kinds of health problems that go away if you actually drink bottled water. Tap water has too much junk in it to be safe for anyone to drink.

oritoke October 3, 2008, 9:19 AM

please send me my ovulation period time
my last period was no the 24th of september 2008.so send me my fertile day for the remaining months of this year.
thanks

adlaide October 9, 2008, 10:44 AM

Hi, for the last few mths i’ve been having my period @ the end of the mth going into the beginning of the new mth. 2 me it feels as if I’m having it twice a mth & I always feel like I’m ovulating. My husband & I would really like to have a baby, but we really dont know how any this ovulating works.
Bear in mind that I have a tween child who was uplanned when i was 19….so that just sets me off course because I was young & no symptoms were being watched then….

A Little Assistance Would Be Greatly Appreciated:)

ss64 October 14, 2008, 10:37 PM

to adlaide…I have had 4 kids all planned. None unplanned…i practice natural birth control. Your ovulation usually occurs 2 weeks after the first day of ur period if u are on a 28 day cycle. Watch for a white discharge as that is mucus that makes the vaginal canal more hospitable for the sperm. I knew when saw the white discharge i was ovulating & got pregnant every time. Good luck

RI October 16, 2008, 5:22 PM

I have 2 boys and we have been trying to have a baby for over 7 months it as been hard for me but i am hanging in there,

jessica October 22, 2008, 12:39 PM

i have no kids but i want one but i have beeen trying for allmost9 months and i dont know whatis wrong !

kb November 23, 2008, 11:23 AM

please send me my ovulation period time my last period was on 15th of november 2008.so send me my fertile day for the remaining months of this year. thanks

za December 13, 2008, 1:08 AM

kb - that’s not really how it works.
Check out fertilityfriend.com it’ll help you to chart your cycles, and you will know when u ovulate every month, by checking ur temperature and your cervical mucus.

mande January 26, 2009, 3:31 PM

1 have 24-25 day cycles my last period started on 1/25/09 when will i ovulate

Anonymous May 17, 2009, 9:45 PM

My husband and I have been trying for a year now. I have one 12 year old son from a previous marriage. It is really frustrating. I am almost to the point of giving up!! Has anyone else been trying for this long?

John919 May 19, 2009, 7:14 AM

Very nice site!

Molly July 23, 2009, 1:21 AM

Me and my husband have been trying to have a baby for four years now and nothing. My period is very irregular but i have tried being on different birth control pills and all they do is make me gain weight so I stop taking them, what do you suggest?

Bochughesee June 24, 2010, 10:17 PM
Avelina Weyland March 15, 2011, 2:54 PM

Useful information shared..Iam very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

Pharme81 May 13, 2011, 7:24 AM

Hello! cfcccae interesting cfcccae site!

Tory Burch Outlet June 7, 2011, 12:34 AM