What Do Tattoos Say About You?

what_tattoo_say_abt_you.jpg

A new study from German anthropologists mentioned in Psychology Today finds that perceptions of women with tattoos may not be reality. Although previous studies show that people assume women with tattoos are more likely to be heavy drinkers and more sexually active, these researchers discovered that inked women were no more "extroverted, careless, or open to new experiences" than those without tattoos.

Makes sense. These days, people of all economic, social and religious backgrounds rock the tattoo--including the mom who drives the Tuesday carpool. (Don't believe us? Ask her!)

But since perception is everything, would you let your kid get a tattoo? Momlogic moms weigh in. What do you think?

jackie.jpgI'm an 'anti-tattie'. I think it's foolish to permanently label yourself with a symbol when we are constantly growing and learning and changing our minds. If my daughter gets a tattoo I will not pay for her college.
melissa.jpgOver 18--I would just tell him to make sure that he goes to a really great artist and doesn't get some stupid girl's name tattooed on him--pick something with meaning that he's never going to get sick of and put it some place he can cover.
andrea.jpgMy son is 6, and I won't let him get a tattoo while he's younger than 18. After that, he can decide for himself. And if he does decide to go for it, it better say "Mom."

Madalyn May 16, 2008, 2:19 PM

As for me I am a mom and have two tattoo’s and I love them.Don’t judge the cover until you read the book..And I to have a son and if he wants a tattoo.. I’ll go with him.. But I hope if he does get one. it’s one that fits his personality. mine are one of a kind. And i know no one else has one like mine..And the tattoo is a part of me and I’m a part of the tattoo..Madalyn

Danielle May 16, 2008, 2:59 PM

Me and my husband have tattoos. I would let my kids (boy/girl)get tats and or piercings. i would rather take them and know it is done correctly than letting a friend do it and find out later. It is part of you and you know the meaning behind it.

Anonymous May 16, 2008, 4:27 PM

How good is that tattoo going to look when you’re old and wrinkled?

Melanie May 16, 2008, 4:48 PM

I personally do not have any tatoos but my husband has 4 original art peices and will get more in the future. Only one of my husbands is visible when he is wearing a shirt and shorts and that is one on his leg. Hopefully when our 2 year old son is old enough tatoos will be uncool. Especially since his dad will have so many. But in the case that he does want to get one when he is of age, we will make sure he picks something original that means something to him and take him to a great artist. We can’t tell him he can’t have one when he is 18 since his dad does.

Sheryl May 16, 2008, 5:48 PM

I live in Oregon; state law does not allowing tattooing of people under age 18—even with parental permission. Anyone tattooing a person under 18, in Oregon, is breaking the law, and I would not consider them a legitimate artists.

When my daughter is 18, she is free to tattoo (or pierce or ???) anything she pleases. I hope that she’ll use discretion and not get tacky flash permanently inked on her, or get any piercings or tattoos that are in places on her body that will impede her ability to gain whatever type of employment she chooses. I will love her, support her, still pay for college, etc., no matter what she decides.

Anonymous May 16, 2008, 7:20 PM

In response to :”How good is that tattoo going to look when you’re old and wrinkled?” I have 2 tattoos and put some consideration into the placement of my tattoos. I believe that many women get tattoos on there backs (and lower backs)because that is one place that does not get as wrinkled or stretched out as other parts of a woman’s body, unless you have significant weight gain.

Anonymous May 16, 2008, 7:38 PM

Mom with two tats, original art (and planning to get at least one more). One on my ankle is visible when wearing shorts. waited until I was 30 to get them…what I will advise my kids to wait, too…but definitely will not discourage them.

Anonymous May 16, 2008, 7:38 PM

Debbie May 16, 2008, 7:47 PM

We have had some good discussions with our three teenagers regarding tatoos and piercings. Anything beyond pierced ears has to wait until they are 18. Thus far, only one has expressed interest, so I’ve mentioned Johnny Depp and his need to alter one when he broke up with Winona (point was taken). Then we discuss placement of tatoos and what happens when people gain and lose weight. I think we’re in a healthy place with this and now I just have to trust that I’ve raised kids who will think it through and make sound decisions.

luvmy2kidz May 17, 2008, 2:02 AM

im a mom of two toddlers and i have a tat and plan to get another one. also had a belly ring until i got pregnant with my first. i have no problems with any form of self expression within the limits of the law, my rules are the same as the law.. no tats or piercings until they are 18 and then i will take them to a great artist to have it done. i only ask that they think about what they want for a long time and keep in mind that it IS permanent. and that it should be a part of them and reflect who they are.

Suzan May 19, 2008, 3:01 AM

I agree with most of you. If my kid wants to get one when she’s over 18 that’s her business but I will advise her to be careful that she puts it somewhere it can be covered up and pick something that she won’t regret a week later. And in response to the person concerned about how the tattoo looks when you get “old and wrinkled”, what’s the point of living for the future? If you live your whole life worrying about what consequences your actions are going to bring in 30 YEARS then you must be an extremely boring person.

Jessica May 19, 2008, 3:15 PM

I love the tattoo thing. I have one on my left breast of a rose same as my mother and my father. We all have it and my kids can get THAT tattoo whenever they want I’ll sign because it means something to our family. Anything else? No they can wait for 18.

Mom2Divas May 20, 2008, 12:52 PM

I am a tatted mommy…16 of them and more to come. my kids are 6,3 and 1. I plan to allow them to get a tat if they like. depending on their maturity level before 18 i might consider it depending on the design they choose of course. my children now love to get henah and play tattoos from the quarter vending things..i have no problem with it. i think if you want to express yourself you shouldnt be limited to paper just because some old people cry about it…boo freakin whooo…get over it!

nina May 20, 2008, 3:31 PM

hi in 23 yr old mom..i hav a tattoo on the neck,my 2 yr old daughter knows tht and me myself dont see anything wrong with tht,i love my tattoo and stiill planing to have one again..it still depends on the person who sees it.

Julie May 21, 2008, 11:26 PM

Its funny to read this tonight. I am planning on another tattoo next week I have 3 already , all with special meaning. Only one can be seen on my ankle. My husband says its bad for my 6 year old to see this because she will want one. Well I just confirmed with her she can not get a tattoo until she is 40! I’m 46 now . She said OK mama.

Tammy May 22, 2008, 12:17 AM

I have 5 tattoos and I love them. I was 23 when I got my first tattoo. I always believed that I wouldn’t allow my three children to have them till they were at least 18. I was wrong! I have a daughter that just turned 17 and I finally agreed and took her to have the tattoo done. It was a hard choice for me to make. My 17 year old daughter has had a job for the past (going on) 2 years. She is a great daughter. She believes that school, chores, and work are more important right now. If my other two children can show the responsibility that she has then when they turn 17 than yes they can get a tattoo as well.

Amber May 23, 2008, 3:48 PM

I have all 3 of my kids’ names in the middle of my back. My husband has the same on his side.

I wouldn’t let my kids get one until they were over 18. I wont sign my name to anything like that. After they are 18 I don’t care if they have a body full of tattoos, it’s their body. I can voice my distaste for that, but in the end it doesn’t really matter! Hahaha

Nina May 23, 2008, 5:41 PM

About the tattoo when you get old: it probably won’t look as good as you want, but who cares??? We are not going to look as good as we want for the rest of our lifes, anyway!
If you like tattoos, gor for it, enjoy it the best way you can and if you are not, that’s ok! Enjoy other things that make you happy.
I have 2 they mean a lot to me and I’ll enjoy them forever, even if they get faded and old.
And when I have kids, I’ll give them advice about it, but will always give them a choice.

K June 3, 2008, 8:43 PM

TO ANNIE… not paying for your daughter’s college if she got a tattoo will not help her make better decisions in the future… but that college education sure would…i believe that if you raise your daughter with those kinds of ultimatums you’re going to stifle her into a Mike Tyson style tatt… ease up Mama

christine June 12, 2008, 9:09 PM

i agre with madalyn and Danielle.