4-Year-Old Dies in SUV

Should the couple's other seven children be taken away?

boy_left_in_car_270.jpg

On Sunday, Las Vegas parents of eight accidentally left their 4-year-old son in their SUV after a church outing. Little Jason Rimer wasn't discovered missing at lunch, dinner, or even at bedtime. In fact, his body wasn't found until Monday morning, after 17 hours of being left in the car. The child, who had special needs, was deceased. Officials say temperatures likely reached 130 degrees in the hot car.

Radio station KDWN asked the father how his family lost track of a mentally disabled 4-year-old. "No one ever said anybody was missing or anything. We usually keep Sundays a quiet day, and one got away from us," Stan Rimer said. "It never crossed my mind we had one dying in the car."

Now, the couples' other children have been put in protective custody. But the parents maintain this was all just a tragic mistake.

Do you think these parents should get their children back?

next: Elizabeth Smart: Not Sorry This Happened
Stacey June 12, 2008, 5:09 PM

no no no!
This happened last summer in Mid GA where I live. The mother went to work and left her 6-7mo old baby girl in the car… she thought she dropped her off at daycare and left that baby strapped in her carseat… middle of the Georgia summer with no air.
It is an OUTRAGE! Those children are not safe and I am a mother and understand separating children from their parents is very sad but what would be even more sad is if another child died when it could have been prevented.

Anonymous June 12, 2008, 5:23 PM

I am the mother of a special needs four year old boy. I ALWAYS know where my son is because he can get into trouble very quickly. This is UNTHINKABLE! I don’t believe the parents didn’t miss him. Not only should their other children be taken away but they should be charged with first degree felony murder.

Cindy June 12, 2008, 5:35 PM

Not discovered until the next morning! Um … no, they do not deserve to get their other children back.

Arlyn June 12, 2008, 5:57 PM

How can a parent now know where their child is at all times? No they dont deserve their kids back if it took more than 24 hours to figure out the child was in the car!!!

Anonymous June 12, 2008, 5:59 PM

Did they just assume that a special needs child fed himself and put himself to bed? I cannot imagine what that poor child went through…

Anonymous June 12, 2008, 6:01 PM

If you can’t count to 8 maybe having 8 kids isn’t the best idea…

Lunch, Dinner, AND bedtime? I can’t believe it… no way should they get their other kids back.

Misty-Jo June 12, 2008, 6:10 PM

My heart is breaking and tearing are rolling down my cheeks. I cannot comprehend how a parent can leave a child in the car for any amount of time. How do you not realize your child is gone?

Losing my children is one of my greatest fears. Saying that your child “never crossed your mind” is absolutely irresponsible and in this case tragic.

I hope the other children can be placed in a home where parents will keep a close watch over them and actually put forth an effort to parent.

I’m still in disbelief.

Allison June 12, 2008, 6:21 PM

I agree, NO they should not get those babies back. How can a parent not know where ALL their children are I don’t care if you have 8 or just 1. It’s rediculous!!!

Melissa  June 12, 2008, 7:11 PM

What was the fathers response
“It never crossed my mind we had one dying in the car.” Do you not think this was done on purpose? Is this there only disabled child? I can not even comprehend that they forgot there child. I know where my two are at all times. Whether it be 2 or 4 or 8 kids, you know where they are when lunch comes around. They should be charged and never get there kids back. How sad… so very sad.

LeLe June 12, 2008, 8:07 PM

I think this wasn’t just a tragic accident. I always know where my child is and because they have eight they should be even more alert. This just really makes me upset to see a child die because of a stupid parent. I think that the children should be with their parents, but they need time away. Those parents need some serious help.

Sharron Carr June 12, 2008, 8:22 PM

NO! Anyone who could lose track of ANY child for 17 hours should not be a parent!

Lanette June 12, 2008, 8:38 PM

What horrible parents! I don’t mean to sound a bit judgmental, but like most parents have already said—a good parent does keep an eye on their children AND (is it just me) but the father sounded way too cavalier about his son’s death: “It never crossed my mind we had one dying in the car.”

WTF? WHO says that when their child has just died?

This quote alone sends a shiver down my spine and makes me think they probably wanted to unload this poor special needs child because of his disabilities.

Heather June 12, 2008, 9:04 PM

This is a terrible, terrible shame, especially in a country where hundreds of families would have gladly raised that precious boy as their own. As a nanny, it it completely unfathomable to me that a parent or anyone for that matter, could simply “forget” about their 4 yearold! I am outraged! This kind of thing takes away from the small bit of faith that I have left in humanity

Anonymous June 12, 2008, 9:07 PM

I understand if a parent lost track of their child for 5-10 min. but 17 hours! that just B.S. It sounds like they have some issues and should not be caring for any children! that poor baby, i don’t want to even imagine how much pain he was in.

Stacey June 12, 2008, 10:13 PM

those parents should be left in the car for 17 hours @ 130 degrees!

jennifer June 12, 2008, 11:55 PM

I have one question! How in the hell do you forget about your child? How is that possible? If my kids are missing for more than 5 minutes I get worried. But going 17 hours and not knowing your son wasn’t around, that is just ridiculous.

Wendi June 13, 2008, 12:06 AM

I can not believe that people can actually say that this type of thing is an accident. It is not at all. This is a parent that clearly does not care about his kids.I could never leave any of mine in the car. I mean really, I am always telling them to get out of it when we get home. That way I know they are in the house and safe. I have 3 kids and can manage to keep track of them extremely well, I don’t know what these people’s problems are!
I think that maybe if there were stricter laws and consequences to this happening each and every time, we would see it less and less.
I feel so bad for that child he did not deserve this not matter what.

bronnie June 13, 2008, 3:03 AM

crd  June 13, 2008, 3:43 AM

I have a disabled son there is no way I would not miss him if he wasn’t in the house. No matter how many kids you have in the home you alway know were the one is that needs the most because they are the youngest,disabled or just has the habit of getting in to trouble. This child was not only the BABY of the house he was also mentaly disabled. My grandmother had 9 kids and was on her own with them most because my grandfather traveled for work. None of those kids were ever lost.

Anonymous June 13, 2008, 3:50 AM

Yeah, I understand losing track of your kid for a little while, but when you have that many kids, do an effing head count every time you go somewhere. Especially since that poor kid was special needs! How do you just forget, for SEVENTEEN HOURS that he’s missing?!