4-Year-Old Dies in SUV

Should the couple's other seven children be taken away?

boy_left_in_car_270.jpg

On Sunday, Las Vegas parents of eight accidentally left their 4-year-old son in their SUV after a church outing. Little Jason Rimer wasn't discovered missing at lunch, dinner, or even at bedtime. In fact, his body wasn't found until Monday morning, after 17 hours of being left in the car. The child, who had special needs, was deceased. Officials say temperatures likely reached 130 degrees in the hot car.

Radio station KDWN asked the father how his family lost track of a mentally disabled 4-year-old. "No one ever said anybody was missing or anything. We usually keep Sundays a quiet day, and one got away from us," Stan Rimer said. "It never crossed my mind we had one dying in the car."

Now, the couples' other children have been put in protective custody. But the parents maintain this was all just a tragic mistake.

Do you think these parents should get their children back?

next: Elizabeth Smart: Not Sorry This Happened
Julie June 13, 2008, 9:55 AM

Do they not tuck their children in at night? Do these parents ever actually PARENT? I understand 8 is a large number of children, but I always make sure to kiss each of my babies goodnight.

Christina June 13, 2008, 10:23 AM

I think this was done on purpose. I also think that they couldn’t deal with his disability. Like everyone else is sawing ok, you lose track of your tots for a second or two. But for 17 hrs. Take the other tot’s away and give them to a family that will appreciate them. As for the parents put them behind bars, and stick them in those boxes that they have for bad behavior, and let them bake in the sun. Taste of their own medicine!

John June 13, 2008, 12:00 PM

Just terrible! How in the world can a family of 18 children (The Duggars’), not lose a member or forget a child in a van? And such thing can happen to a family of just 8 children? They’re murders!

Stephanie June 13, 2008, 3:10 PM

Lunch or dinner? C’mon, If there were 20 kids there… u can always tell when someone is missing! You may not know which 1 immediately, but you know someone is missing.What the hell happened @ bedtime??!! I’m not saying anything else!!! This whole thing is BS!!! Do you really just get out of a vehicle and go in the house and say…”Boy…I hope all the kids are inside!” Really. don’t you wait until EVERY CHILD is out of the car!!! Very Unfortunate..

momof9 June 13, 2008, 4:13 PM

I have as my name says nine and I have never lost one yet. Even when they were all little… I mean at one point I had a newborn, a 2yr, a3yr, a4yr, a8yr, a9yr + their friends all going places with us at one time. We went to zoos on vacations on shopping trips, to church activities etc. I just made sure they all had an assigned place to sit, stand, walk etc. I counted heads frequently when we went places. I still find myself counting them even though our youngest is now 10 and quite capable of using her cell to call us if we were to “lose” her. I am often teased about having my ducks all in a row but jeez people if you are going to have eight or more you had better understand that with the blessing comes responsibility. I hate that these children are away from their parents but have to agree that they are probably safer that way..at least till mom and dad get some serious parenting classes.

Christina  June 13, 2008, 6:58 PM

I just don’t see how this could be a mistake…. I don’t know about other parents but I’m always wondering where my kids are (I’ve got 4 and one on the way)… maybe 10 minutes TOPS goes by and I think, “I need to check on them” for the older ones and the little ones it’s every 30 seconds.

reneejohnson June 14, 2008, 11:54 AM

its sad to say but i just cant imagine going all day and havent kept count of my children even if it was 10 of them.at dinner or something they should have noticed that one of the babies wasnt there or did they not feed and bathe the children.that just dosent sit right with me and i dont think that this couple should get the other children back either because what kind of other mistakes will they make with the other children.i mean if the child was missing for just a few minutes is one thing,but that shouldnt happen either because they shuld be watching kids that young closely.its a sad sad situation.

katie June 15, 2008, 10:38 PM

NO!!! How do you not notice a 4 year old is missing. He needs help to get food and take a bath.

Kim  June 18, 2008, 7:15 PM

Unbelievable! These people should not be allowed to raise a dog, much less children. I don’t care how many if children you have, if there are so many of them that you lose track of them for more than 5 minutes (which sometimes is too long) then you should not have so many children.

In the article linked to this story: The father says that the older brother usually watches out for the younger children. He also said that the reason he was not missed at dinner was because the children usually grab something for themselves and no one said anything about the child not being at the table. He does not say anything about missing him at bath or bedtime. Who was parenting these children? They don’t keep track of the children, they don’t feed them dinner, and they must not put them to bed or they would have noticed he was not in bed that night or in the morning when they woke up.

They obviously are not fit to care for these kids and because they left the responsibility for this child to another child, he is dead. There should be criminal charges filed against both parents and they should not get any of their kids back. There is not enough the state can do to them to punish them for being so negligently lazy and irresponsible!

Elaine June 18, 2008, 7:49 PM

I heard that SUV’s have child proof locks even when the car is shut off. No one is able to get out of the car except when the car is turned on again??

momof9 June 19, 2008, 10:08 AM

The child proof locks I have seen are only on the rear seats. Our mini-van has them. The point being to keep children from opening the door themselves while you are driving down the road or parked in a busy parking lot or something. These doors can only be opened from the outside of the van.

Sandi June 19, 2008, 12:33 PM

My heart goes out to the 4-year old child left in the van as if a family pet. I think the parents should be locked in a van on a hot day like he was left. I feel the court system should send them to prison for the crime they have both committed together. We do not know if it has happened before. I think he was taken advantage of because of his disability. I feel that the american sociaety for disabilty should also give them a lecture. The nonchalant statement made by the father is pathetic and shows the moral character of this society when something goes wrong. I feel that only God can forgive him of his sins and also his wife who might have been part of this conspiracy. This should be a wake-up call for people to stop apologizing when they are aware of their intentions.

Suzanne June 19, 2008, 2:24 PM

I have a four year old and even though I ALWAYS know where she is, if I can’t hear her playing for 5 minutes I am yelling “KAITLYN” at the top of my lungs and looking for her until she answers with “WHAT?” at the top of her lungs. I always know where my kids are and what they are doing (admittedly, the 10 month old ain’t going far or doing much).

These parents wanted to unload their kid and should not only NOT get their other children back, they should be sterilized so that they can’t make any more.

shelleyb321 June 24, 2008, 12:24 AM

wow! lunch, dinner but bed time i put kids to bed and kiss each one before i go to bed again, just to be sure they are safe.
my two year old likes to hide but after 5 minutes of quite i start looking. those people don’t deserve there other kids back they should also be tried for murder, special needs and gone for that long sounds funny to me.

Anonymous June 25, 2008, 9:34 PM

I agree that this was not a mistake. I cannot believe they went that long without noticing he was not there!! They should NOT get their kids back and they should be arrested!

mona June 27, 2008, 5:05 PM

how could they do that to the poor kid??? i mean come on when my sister goes missing for a second me and my mom go searchin for her. its not a surprise or anything impossible to go lookin for your kid. what awfull people, and the father, i mean come on those words he said were ridiculous. what lowsy parenting they should not get there kids back and they should be charged with murder just look at there pictures they look like addicts to me.

Crystal June 29, 2008, 12:33 PM

This sounds like another case of too many kids so you are crazy and start killing them off one by one. Like the crazy woman who drowned all of her children in a bathtub because the devil told her to do it. Unacceptable, if you cannot mentally handle having that many kids, stop at one or two!
If this child had special needs, why didnt it occur to either parent that hadnt done anything for that “special needs child” all day or even put him to bed?

Samantha June 30, 2008, 1:36 PM

I am a mother of 1 and there has been times when I know in my mind he’s with me but I will double check just in case. Its what parents do, we always MAKE SURE! Its our job.

Krystal July 1, 2008, 11:58 AM

My mind reminds me every minute that I have three boys and I am always reminding myself of where they are and if for one moment I do not know, I run to check until I find them. You don’t just misplace your four year old and forget him like a rag-doll.

Anonymous July 1, 2008, 2:43 PM

No they should not get the other children back. 17 hours without noticing? Its ludicrous. Those parents need to go to jail. Thats a horrible way for an innocent child to die.