4-Year-Old Dies in SUV

Should the couple's other seven children be taken away?

boy_left_in_car_270.jpg

On Sunday, Las Vegas parents of eight accidentally left their 4-year-old son in their SUV after a church outing. Little Jason Rimer wasn't discovered missing at lunch, dinner, or even at bedtime. In fact, his body wasn't found until Monday morning, after 17 hours of being left in the car. The child, who had special needs, was deceased. Officials say temperatures likely reached 130 degrees in the hot car.

Radio station KDWN asked the father how his family lost track of a mentally disabled 4-year-old. "No one ever said anybody was missing or anything. We usually keep Sundays a quiet day, and one got away from us," Stan Rimer said. "It never crossed my mind we had one dying in the car."

Now, the couples' other children have been put in protective custody. But the parents maintain this was all just a tragic mistake.

Do you think these parents should get their children back?

next: Elizabeth Smart: Not Sorry This Happened
Lisa July 2, 2008, 5:15 AM

This was a horrific tragedy to say the least and of course I think the parents should have been more vigilant in keeping track. The only way this even makes sense to me, even in a small way, is that in large families, the smaller kids are sometimes “assigned” to older kids to keep track of them and possibly they might have ‘taken turns’ and forgotten who was in charge at the time. You’ve probably heard the saying, “if two people feed a horse, the horse will die”. It’s still no excuse for the parents to not even miss or check to make sure ALL of their children were accounted for, but I’m thinking that someone dropped the ball somewhere in the middle. A tragic mistake that they’ll have to live with for the rest of their lives.

father of 2 July 2, 2008, 5:18 AM

Andrea July 2, 2008, 2:13 PM

So who puts the kids to bed??? How can you “let one get away” for 17 hours. No, they do not need to get their kids back!

Diane July 2, 2008, 3:24 PM

I think that if there were more better laws around this problem it would probally happen less.Maybe…I have a disabled child as well and he is always on my mind 24/7 I think they just wanted to get rind of their so called problem to them…A crying shame,But you can best believe he has got to be in a better place than with those idiots.No they should not get any of those kids back…

Ern July 2, 2008, 3:31 PM

This is terrible. Look at the pic of this little boy,I agree with many other’s on this, they shouldn’t get the other children back. I have 5 yr. old twins, am a single mom and have NEVER forgotten either of them. How do you not know where your kid is? You don’t feed or bathe them before bed? They should both suffer like he did!!!!

Kennyta July 2, 2008, 3:40 PM

i cant belive this! 17 hours? Thats a full day! If he was special needs then doesnt he need medicene or a diaper or something. This is a outrage and i feel sorry for the other kids if they get them back

Kristen July 2, 2008, 3:51 PM

I am appalled!!! I have 2 children, B/10 and G/21, only the boy lives home, but I still know where both of them are at ALL times. That is my job/responsibility as a parent. I never ever left my children in the car….not even just to run in a store…When I do see a child left in a car I CALL THE POLICE… and anyone else that witnesses this should also…you just may save that childs life!!!!

Steve S July 2, 2008, 4:42 PM

I live here in Phx. Arizona, and we have had many of these (I forgot about my child)cases here. Way to many to be just accidents. I agree with those that feel that it is just an easy way to get out of having to care for a special child.Charge them with murder, send a message to those soon to be ( I just forgot) parents.

Deb Klimke July 2, 2008, 5:04 PM

I am the oldest of 5 children and I don’t remember my parents not knowing where us kids were at especially when we were little. I can see maybe loosing sight of them for 1/2 hour or so but to miss a child for a meal and especially at bedtime makes me wonder who is really “taking care” of these kids? Are the kids taking care of each other instead of the parents?

r cox  July 2, 2008, 5:14 PM

i dont want to sound mean but we should lock them in the car for 6 hours so they con see what their baby son went through may god bless his baby soul

unknowen  July 2, 2008, 6:11 PM

yea the parents should of knoticed that one of there kids was missing but if the kids are still very young taking care of 8 young kids is hard yes but i would of knoticed if one of the kids was missing you know i think they left him in the car and they knew about it and didnt care and they treated him like he was the black sheep of the family because he is mentaly retarted if they didnt want him they could of gave him up for adoption no one goes 17 damn hours with out knowing there kid is missing and no them kids shouldnt go in a foster home and be seperated they should go and live with a relitive all together and the parents be locked up for seconed degree murder with a life sentance they killed there baby by abanding him in the hot SUV just like a wild animal does when she dont want her babys she abandonds it and lets it die but they killed that poor kid and they should pay for it

sandy July 2, 2008, 6:13 PM

they are full of crap not knowing where their child was at.. oh please
stop the nonse

sandy July 2, 2008, 6:20 PM

chldren are chilren and us as parents should be here there and everywhere to protect them at all times. all my heart is out for this little baby.. and for the parents i hope they never get their other children back.

sksen July 2, 2008, 7:49 PM

This is ridiculous. No parent loses track of their child for that long. Especially a child with special needs! This child would, more likely than not, usually require a greater level of care, attention and time therefore by the age of four it would be a natural reaction for a parent to automatically look for this child. Is he getting into trouble? Is it time for medications? And on and on. I have a feeling this child is the only special needs child this family has and that this was not an accident but deliberate. Which is beyond disgusting.
I have a 13 year old with lissencephaly. I know how hard it is to care for a special needs child. But even at my most stressed and sleep deprived I would not have “forgotten” my daughter - or my son, for that matter. I think they should NEVER get those other children back. What happens if one of them becomes a burden? Maybe they decide little Cindy isn’t living up to her full potential. Are they going to “not notice” she slipped and fell into the family pool? Maybed tripped on the steps and broke her neck? Conditional people, conditional parents … having a child does not mean that child will be perfect and if you cannot love your child no matter what, don’t have them.

LORETTA.A.RENO July 2, 2008, 11:02 PM

HOW CAN YOU FORGET A CHILD IN THE CAR.WHEN GEORGE WAS LITTLE,I WOULD TAKE HIM FIRST OUT THE CAR,NEVER LEAVING HIM IN THE ALONE.I ALWAYS CHECK CAR,CHILDREN SHOULD BE THE FIRST TO BE TAKE OUT OF THE CAR.IF HE OR SHE ARE SLEEPING YOU CARRY THEM IN.DO NOT LEAVE CHILDREN ALONE IN CAR FOR ANY REASONS.

Helen C. July 3, 2008, 11:39 AM

Let me just say first that I have two children 4 boy and 19 months girl. When they are not with me, when they normally are, I always think to myself where are they did I leave them somewhere. Then I think back okay they are with my husband or at daycare. They are always on my mind. I always know where they are. When we are driving off in the SUV, I glance back at my daughter and I can not always see my oldest so I just reach back and touch his foot and I hear him laugh. Then I say okay time to go we are all here. That is the way I keep track of them when we are going out. It might seem like a lot,but it only takes a few seconds to make sure your kids are there or to think back. Parents are busy so just take a few seconds to think about it and this situation will never be you. I do this everytime as a habit.

Whether you have 1 or 10 children it is possible to keep up with them. If you care. I do not know these people, but maybe they meant to leave the poor little boy on purpose. As horrible as it sounds I think that is what happened. Maybe they got tired of taking care of him. Reason: by him being special needs they would have realized fairly quickly. If they truely did not mean for this to happen, that means that they are just crapy parents and their other children should be taken away.

Renee July 3, 2008, 11:48 AM

I can not believe what I have read. I have 7 children still at home and 2 that are on their own. The youngest are 4 and 2 y/o. If I am busy making dinner or doing other household chores I make sure the older children know the whereabouts of the younger ones. I can not imagine forgetting or just leaving that poor child in the car. Being that he was special needs did they just not want to be bothered with him? It makes me sick to think of what little Jason went through. The parents should have to go through the same kind of experience.

Autumn July 3, 2008, 12:04 PM

With the busy lives that are led these days unfortunately we can all make oversights or mistakes.. Let he without sin cast the first stone.. Have some compassion for those parents and their families. I am sure they hate themselves more than anyone else ever could…Let’s just hope some of the judgmental people making mean comments don’t ever find themselves in a similar situation one day! Peace and god bless!

cat July 3, 2008, 5:00 PM

what a bunch of crap, you don’t know a child is missing in seventeen hours!! i guess they think people are stupid. i think that chid was left there for a reason.

VIcki July 6, 2008, 12:30 AM

If you have one disabled child, no matter how many others you have, how can you forget about him until the next day ??

Impossible !