4-Year-Old Dies in SUV

Should the couple's other seven children be taken away?

boy_left_in_car_270.jpg

On Sunday, Las Vegas parents of eight accidentally left their 4-year-old son in their SUV after a church outing. Little Jason Rimer wasn't discovered missing at lunch, dinner, or even at bedtime. In fact, his body wasn't found until Monday morning, after 17 hours of being left in the car. The child, who had special needs, was deceased. Officials say temperatures likely reached 130 degrees in the hot car.

Radio station KDWN asked the father how his family lost track of a mentally disabled 4-year-old. "No one ever said anybody was missing or anything. We usually keep Sundays a quiet day, and one got away from us," Stan Rimer said. "It never crossed my mind we had one dying in the car."

Now, the couples' other children have been put in protective custody. But the parents maintain this was all just a tragic mistake.

Do you think these parents should get their children back?

next: Elizabeth Smart: Not Sorry This Happened
Carrie July 6, 2008, 6:55 AM

I think they couldn’t handle taking care of the child and say they FORGOT about him just so they wouldn’t have to take care of him anymore. You never know what goes through peoples minds, and what makes them do the things they do. They shouldn’t of had that many kids if they couldn’t keep track of them. ( I watch too much Forensic Files! )

meagan July 6, 2008, 3:10 PM

this story send chills up my spine…….. how could a parent lose a child for 17 hours. especially a child that needs special attention during everyday activities. such as lunch dinner and bedtime. they didnt notice??
it is a shame to have your kids taken away and it should never happen. but in a case like this, these parents should never see their children again and also be charged.
have you even seen the show jon and kate plus 8. they do a wonderful job caring for 8 kids and havent lost one. and they have 6 3 years olds. thats alot to handle. but they arent on the new for losing any of their kids………. ppl all over the world keep track of their kids everyday. whats wrong with these parents.
im 21 and live 2000 miles away from my parents and they still know where i am everyday.
this is a scary story and it could have been prevented. i dont think it was just a mistake .

desireebr July 8, 2008, 2:55 AM

Hell no! This is outrageous! I have two kids and I always know where they are, as it should be. There is no way that these murderers should get their other kids back!. Charge them with MURDER!

veronica July 9, 2008, 9:44 AM

Ok so here is my guess. i’m guessing that with so many kids, the parents leave it to the older kids to be responsible for the where abouts of the other kids. i know a family that has 10 kids rangin from 21 to 2. the older kids do more for the little ones than the parents. i guess everyone else thought that someone else was looking out for that poor little boy. if ya cant take care of 8 kids, ya shouldnt have 8 kids. i have 4 kids and i know where they are just about all the time and if i dont know where they are i would find out. Thats called responsible parenting, which apparently this family know nothing about.

Davina July 9, 2008, 11:19 AM

I’m unsure……For the life of me, I can’t understand how a parent can forget about their child. After 17 hours, come on, they should have noticed much sooner than that. Given the time frame, I would say; the kids need to be placed in a better situation….at least until the parents get counseling.

Anonymous July 10, 2008, 10:07 AM

“it never occurred to us that we had one dying in the car?!?” that is so insensitive. no these people should not get their children back! 1 child, let alone 8 would be too many for these people! wouldn’t you think that a 4 year old special needs child would be at the top of your list as a parent to make sure he/she is with the group and is safe! my goodness..

Deb July 11, 2008, 12:07 PM

I agree with all of you but especially Stacey who said they should leave them in a car for 17 hours in 130(or 150 since they could probably withstand more heat)degree heat. Take those other children away now!!! Put them in jail!! They probably did it on purpose and thought they would get away with it since this seems to happen all the time anymore. And Sunday is “a quiet day”…in a house with EIGHT children??? What, are they all locked up in a closet or something?? I have issues with EVERY part of the fathers statement. Just put him away before another child “gets away” from him.

Angela July 11, 2008, 5:26 PM

I think this is a case of murder! The child was mentally disabled, therefore would need help getting out of a car seat! The parents do not deserve to get their other children back. The comment that the father made, “It never crossed my mind we had one dying in the car”, sounds to me like his children are expendable

Anonymous July 20, 2008, 12:31 PM

No!!!!!!! This story disgusts me! I teach at a daycare center and we have to check the children every 15 minutes when we go on field trips. These are not even my children and I know when one is missing. That child should have been getting extra attention being a special needs child. How about asking the other children if everyone is there? If they cannot keep track of their own children, they shouldn’t have them. People who want children and care about their well being should be in custody of their children. Quiet day or not, count your children when you have so many!!!!!!!

tir3dmomor3 July 21, 2008, 10:56 AM

I have 3, I am a single mom that works and goes to school. I don’t see how these parents forget their kids in the heat? They make so much noise. This child was a special needs child which means you are usually interacting with him every 15 minutes at least. How the heck do you not notice he is missing for 17 hours? They should be thrown under the jail. Somebody should take these parents and tie them into a car for however long they left that child in the car so they know how it feels. If they die oh well.

Robbie July 21, 2008, 6:15 PM

“…one dying in the car”?????????? HELL, NO, THEY SHOULDN’T GET THE OTHERS BACK BECAUSE THEY SHOULD GET THE DEATH PENALTY FOR SUCH A LOW-LIFE ATTITUDE!

Melanie July 22, 2008, 2:39 AM

They obviously do not care for their children. They probably make the older kids watch the younger ones, which is horrid. How can they not even say goodnight to all of their kids? Not even notice? Ugh.

Jennifer July 30, 2008, 11:52 AM

How sad. Yes, mistakes are made, but if I do not know where my kids are every 5 minutes, I panic. It seems as if they did not even miss him. A way to dump your special needs child off and they sure did.

Paul July 31, 2008, 3:30 PM

An absolute horrible situation, but we need more facts, it is disheartening to hear so many people condemn the parents without full knowledge of exactly what happened, who the parents are, how the kids are treated. People make mistakes every day, and people die, that doesn’t make them murderer’s. As for protective custody, what a joke, the only guarantee is that if all the kids are taken away they will be worse off in protective custody, once a child becomes sucked into state custody they have practically 0 chance of normalcy. Stop being so judgemental, we all agree it is a tragedy, a horrible tragedy, but before we condemn the parents AND the kids to hell, make sure you get ALL the facts.

colene August 13, 2008, 11:51 PM

how in the world can you not know where your child is for that long! I am contantly checking on my kids EVERYDAY! and four years old? that child would more then likely spend most of its day with one of the parents unless the parents pawn him off on the other kids to take care of, either way sounds bad to me, i dont think they should have them back.

Sandi August 27, 2008, 1:29 PM

I have a special needs brother and my mother ALWAYS knew where he was, and when he went missing, which he did, because special needs kids get into trouble.. She realized it after 15 TOPS minutes. Life gets busy, I understand, but you would think they’d of realized at lunch…dinner, and esp. bed time, “hey, whereis our 4 year old?” A child who cannot do the normal daily tasks another child can is usually top priority. Youngest, Oldest or in the middle. As a mother myself, i’m outraged. 17 hours is beyond a mitake.

Judy September 19, 2008, 10:12 AM

I had ten children at home at one time out of eleven, plus a couple “borrowed” children who stayed with us when life at their own home wasn’t possible.
I either counted heads or called out names to be sure I didn’t leave anyone. Once, I did not and left a son at the park, and as soon as we were home and the kids were in the house, I asked where’s John and the other 4yr old said we left him at the park. (I don’t know why HE didn’t mention it to us before) We tore back to the park immediately and he was sitting there waiting for us. I can only thank God for that blessing every day - even now and my son is an adult now with children of his own.
I cannot imagine how one could not notice a child missing during a meal time - especially a child with special needs as one of mine was. We ate meals together and tucked kids in at bedtime individually. But I cannot pretend to know what goes on in others’ homes or lives - and certainly not in their hearts.

rhonda September 19, 2008, 11:32 AM

how does a parent not know one is missing??? who was actually raising this boy??? his siblings?? 7 other children and not one of them noticed he was not at lunch or dinner or even put to bed…special needs often requires more attention. it appears that the poor child was possibly neglected before this tragedy…how does (9) in a family of ten (10) go 17 hours without out even (1) realizing that one child is missing??? totally shocked here!

Tracie  September 19, 2008, 12:12 PM

I cannot and will not believe that this couple did not know that their son was missing even for the first 5mins and I say couple because they are not fit to even be called parents, I mean come on this is crazy. These two conspired together and left this child on purpose in hopes that something like this would happen, because they couldn’t handle it (OBVIOUSLY). I grew up with three brothers two with disabilities one of which was severely mentally retarded and one with CP both of whom needed constant supervision and care be it a (DIAPER CHANGE MEDICINE FOOD) and oh yeah don’t forget the bath and bedtime. I to have children 4 to be exact and I could not fathom ever leaving one in the car unnoticed for more than a few minutes. These people should never and I repeat NEVER get custody of the remaining 7 children that GOD has blessed them with and they should both be fixed like the dogs they are so that they cannot destroy another life on top of the 8 that have already suffered. I say 8 because not only is they baby dead but the other 7 left behind will suffer from this in one way or another (IE) guilt for not knowing he wasn’t there and blaming themselves for his death because the people who brought them into this world put all the responsibility of raising this wonderful child on them, not to mention with a man like that as their father with his less than impressive attitude I can only wonder how much guilt he has piled on the other children for not knowing their brother was missing as if it was their doing. These two murdered that boy premeditated and all they deserve to sit and rot in a jail cell like garbage they are. Monkey’s take better care of their offspring.

e October 18, 2008, 2:28 PM

this is beyond ridiculous..

when you see news articles where someone thinks they drop their child off, or it slips their mind and they are completely broken and distraught about what they’ve done it’s heartbreaking because really anyone is just one step away from a really bad choice.. they punish themselves, often for a lifetime.. i just see it different..

HOWEVER this story is unbelievable. the father shows no remorse, and for 17 hours that child was left in a car?! i am sorry, it’s hard to believe one of the siblings didn’t ask about him, or they didn’t get a clue.. something else is behind this, or it just shows that the parents don’t deserve custody of any of their children.. it’s sickening to think of the way the child died, but also the way the child lived.. if no one noticed he was gone for that amount of time, at that age, with that many people in the house it makes you wonder how his day to day life was..