Breastfeeding a Third Grader

This video of a woman proudly breastfeeding her 8-year-old daughter is creating a buzz on the Internet. Some cultures find this perfectly healthy. What do you think??

Here's what might happen if these kids continue breastfeeding into adulthood:

next: Get Fit in Minutes: Day 5
Liz June 20, 2008, 2:44 PM

Does she realize that this is going to make her children social outcasts for the rest of their lives?! I have to say the LARGE majority of people would find this extremely strange.

Sharon June 20, 2008, 2:55 PM

I bet the dad gets in on the action too.

Iyeshan June 20, 2008, 3:04 PM

This is so disturbing.

Okay, when your child can TALK BACK to you while breastfeeding, that just *might* be a clue that they can move on now.

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 3:23 PM

man, I dunno what to say to this

MaryM June 20, 2008, 3:40 PM

I think this is a form of molestation. There is something incredibly wrong about this.

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 4:20 PM

This sooooo wrong!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 5:24 PM

This is very wrong!! I am a nursery nurse and think breastfeeding is amazing but to feed for that long is very disturbing. I think that the mother has underlying issues to allow this.

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 6:24 PM

I believe in the right to choose, but is the mother really doing this for her or the children? It seems to me that they’re attached to it because she is. I nursed for 14 months and my daughter is extremely intelligent and healthy. Each to his own, but this is a bit creepy.

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 6:34 PM

I think its her own body and she has the right to what she pleases. I breastfed till my children were 2 and i wish i could go longer but couldn’t so i praise her for doing it that long.

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 6:37 PM

I too agree that its creepy but its her right who are we to judge. Way to go.

Baron Von Truthelberry June 20, 2008, 7:02 PM

Sickle cell

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 8:23 PM

I have seen this video before.. I think I heard that the dad DOES breastfeed sometimes. Not sure if it’s at the same time as the kids though.

Anonymous June 20, 2008, 9:01 PM

ABSOLUTELY SICK. SHE GETS PLEASURE OFF THIS. SICK DISGUSTING HUMAN BEING. WHY IS SHE ALLOWED KIDS WHEN OTHER NORMAL PEOPLE CANT GET PREGNANT?

Anon June 20, 2008, 9:31 PM

GROSS!

Batik June 21, 2008, 1:56 AM

Eh, not a big deal. The problem is that the movie was even made. This is really nobody’s business.

Erica June 21, 2008, 9:54 PM

I find it odd but not at all disturbing. Most mamas do stop the breastfeeding before this age, but as any attachment parenting mom will tell you, the child will choose when they are ready to stop. I surely couldn’t breastfeed that long, but all the power to that mama for giving her children only the best.

Anonymous June 22, 2008, 9:13 PM

Well, this created a “buzz” quite awhile ago - it’s old. You’d think the “Added: April 06, 2007” was a big clue, but whatever.
As for my opinion, once your kid is old enough to be able to retain the, I’m sure what is much less than wonderful, memory of sucking on your teat - it’s time to stop.

reneejohnson June 23, 2008, 3:04 AM

i think this woman is getting off on her 8 year old child breastfeeding. i personally think it is very sick and i think this woman needs some kind of help.there is no way i would be breastfeeding my child that old. i never breastfed with my 14 year old daughter so i dont really know the age that babies stop breastfeeding but i know it is way before they turn 8 years old.

April June 23, 2008, 9:09 AM

This just doesn’t seem to be psychologically healthy for that child. I saw the video last year, and in it, the children are drawing pictures of their mother’s breasts… they have even named them! The mother said the children get upset and throw temper tantrums whenever she wears a bra. The older girl (age 9 I believe) said that for her birthday, she wants to nurse again.

Yes, breastfeeding is natural, and it is healthy… but the above mentioned attitudes do NOT sound healthy.

I know that some children nurse for comfort and security - and that’s fine for a baby or a toddler. But at 8 years old, a child should be able to find comfort and support elsewhere.

There is a HUGE difference between breastfeeding a 2 year old (even a 3-4 year old!) and an 8 year old. Yes, some people can claim that the mother is selfless, and only wants the best for her children. But it seems to me as if she is being completely selfish - there is no scientific proof that breastfeeding this long is any healthier than stopping at age 2. And if she is so concerned about their well-being, why not simply pump and give it to them in a cup?

Lela June 23, 2008, 9:11 AM

The global average for breastfeeding, according to the World Health Organization, is 2 to 7 years. It might seem odd in the U.S. where we’re offered cow’s milk formula from our pediatricians, but the fact that she can still produce milk for that long says something about what women’s breasts are designed to do. The fact that people find the act of nursing an older child sexual has more to do with our cultural bias than biology.