Breastfeeding a Third Grader

This video of a woman proudly breastfeeding her 8-year-old daughter is creating a buzz on the Internet. Some cultures find this perfectly healthy. What do you think??

Here's what might happen if these kids continue breastfeeding into adulthood:

next: Get Fit in Minutes: Day 5
Proud Marine Wife and Sister June 23, 2008, 4:23 PM

If we want to talk about biology and a woman’s body, let’s talk about young girls having babies while we’re at it. The typical age of puberty is 12 years old. Back in the day, most women were married and having children by 16. After all, our bodies are designed to bear children. So does that make it right? Is it okay for young girls to have babies simply because their bodies are able to?

Anonymous June 24, 2008, 3:12 PM

I doubt there is much nutritional need for nursing this long. Strange the girls still want to do it. My girl wanted nothing more of it at 11 months. It was the cup and independence for her. Our culture says its so wrong and all, I just do not know what to say. The girls may be very insecure, mom wont let go… there are issues but I would not so so far as to say it’s wrong or gross. It is what it is. Just different.

Jamie June 25, 2008, 11:52 PM

Wow….this is seriously SICK!! Her children are going to be social outcasts for the rest of their lives…I mean, think about kids today…they’re always picking on each other and what not, but damn…when the kids tell their friends (if they have any) that they are still breast feeding…they will be the laughing stock of their class. GROSS GROSS GROSS!!!

Kimberly June 27, 2008, 1:20 PM

I think this is wonderful! I nursed my son until he was 4 years old, & only stopped then because my milk dried up. Todays culture frowns upon anyone who doesn’t stick a bottle in their baby’s mouth & a plastic diaper on their butt, let them cry it out in a “cage” away from mom/dad in another room, shoot them full of toxic poisons in the name of “modern medicine”, or feed their children tortured flesh. I’m proud of my healthy, happy, NATURAL kids. We as a society really need to wake up & get back to what really matters…our children. I say BRAVO to this mommy! Wish I could’ve nursed my adopted daughter (now 3), but she just thought they were toys…oh well. Yay AP!!!

Anonymous January 2, 2009, 10:50 PM

That’s just so wrong.

jena February 7, 2009, 7:19 AM

ON MY GOD I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW CLOSED MINDED SOME PEOPLE ARE. SOME PARENTS GO TO SCHOOL AT LUNCH TIME TO FEED THEIR KIDS. PERSONALLY I CANNOT IMAGINE MY DAUGHTER SUCKLING AT THAT AGE BUT I WOULD DEFINATELY CONSIDER EXPRESSING FOR MY DAUGHTER IF SHE STILL WANTED IT!

Steve McPhail August 20, 2010, 9:07 AM

As a very strong supporter of extended breastfeeding; I honestly that if this mother wants to continue breastfeeding her daughter ( a 3rd grader) She can do so. In fact, She has every right to! For all you people who are so strongly against mothers who are still breastfeeding their older children; please allow me to say that it’s absolutely none of your business as to how long a mother should continue breastfeeding their child. As long as they both enjoy doing it I honestly wouldn’t say anything besides, if I did I would most likely get told off so therefore I don’t say anything; you all shouldn’t either. I do strongly believe that one of the greatest ways to instantly bond with your child regardless of the age is to just allow them to nurse at your breast. This way as the older child is nursing the mother can gently stroke her daughter’s hair or as the older child is breastfeeding the mother may want to just hold her child’s hand and treasure these special moments. Besides the mother is only giving her older child the very best and nutritious milk in all the world… Her Breastmilk!! Breastfeeding has so many health benefits; The longer a mother breastfeeds the healthier her child will be! no more earaches, colds, sore throats etc… Although I’m not a parent I highly encourage all mothers to continue breastfeeding as long as they can! Whenever the child wants to start weaning I’m sure the child will tell his or her mother. Until then enjoy these very special moments with your child by allowing them to continue breastfeeding!!.