Court Overrules Tween Grounding

Apparently, a judge thinks this father doesn't know best.

gavel.jpg

A father in Canada decided to lay down the law after discovering his daughter was putting "inappropriate" pictures of herself on an Internet dating site. But after he grounded her from a 3-day school field trip, the 12-year-old did what any other litigious kid would do: She took him to court.

The verdict was in the tween's favor when Justice Suzanne Tessier overturned the father's punishment as too severe for the crime. Are you kidding us? Grounding too serious for posting pictures on that pedophile playground known as the Internet?

The father's lawyer, Kim Beaudoin, is understandably shocked, and she fears that the judge's ruling will have parents "walking on egg shells from now on." The father plans to appeal.

next: Summer Safety 101
Anonymous June 20, 2008, 11:12 AM

This is just unbelievable. If parents aren’t abusive, they should be left to discipline as they see fit.

Jon June 20, 2008, 12:22 PM

The worst she got was not going on a field trip? I think I might just ban electronics from the house when the kids are old enough to use them at this rate…

Diana June 20, 2008, 4:09 PM

You can report me if you want to, but I would have whooped her behind for both the pictures and the attempt to sue me. Society wants parents to be scared of how you discipline your child. If I allowed my children to do whatever they wanted without consequences they would all end up in the state pen, become hookers and sell drugs.

The government and the lack there of needs to get a life.

b babe June 20, 2008, 4:33 PM

what the crap is wrong with canadians??!! hello judge..would you feel better if the father was the photographer and posted the inappropriate pictures himself?

Aine June 22, 2008, 1:20 AM

Diana on June 20, 2008 4:09 PM wrote:
———————————
Wow Diana - with such faith as you have in your own children, perhaps they’re just Trying To Get Away.
Seriously though- you’d “whoop” them for taking you to court? For using an adult forum to air grievances in a non-violent format? …Yeah. Way to teach them how NOT to get into prison. :(

Helen June 22, 2008, 4:00 AM

Honor your father and mother does not mean take them to court for exercising their parental rights.

Tipper June 23, 2008, 8:03 PM

Uhm, I think you’re all overlooking the fact that a 12 year old girl got her father into a court room, sued him for grounding her, and won.
This kid is like a law prodigy. I’m 16 and I admire this kid, she didn’t like something, so she did something about it, and fathers and mothers are all pathetic for thinking they can try and run anyone elses life but their own.

kathy July 2, 2008, 2:19 PM

i’m appalled that the judge ruled on the 16 year old. if my kids did that they would be grounded. This is teaching the 16 year that if she doesn’t like her parents ruling she can take them to court and the judge will rule with her that’s not how our kids should be raised.

kathy July 2, 2008, 2:26 PM

i’m apalled at the judges ruling, if my kids did that they would not be allowed on the computer for awhile; also this teaches the child that is she doesn’t like her parents ruling she can take them to court and that is not right

Nicole July 3, 2008, 2:59 AM

And you wonder why this country is going to crap in a hand basket. With stuff just as this. This is sooo nuts to have even been brought to court. Totally ridiculous!!! This is what are hard earned tax dollars are going towards.

veronica July 9, 2008, 10:03 AM

this comment is to Tipper. It is our responsibility as parents to keep our children safe. I am not trying to run my kids lives. I am trying to teach my kids that there a consequences for breaking rules. A 12 year old should not be posting photos of herself on a dating site. the article doesnt say this but i assuming that she told the internet dating site that she was 18 because there is no way they would let a 12 year old post pictures. i wonder if the judge took that in to consideration.

What i think is pathetic is kids sense of entitlement. i deserve this and i deserve that. Well, in the “grown-up” world it doesnt work that way. you want a car you have to get a job. You want food toeat you have to get a job. you break the rules you lose job, lose family, and possibly go to jail. Unless that is, you are lucky enough to have a judge like this one. People need to be held accountable for their actions.

Teli July 18, 2008, 11:36 AM

I wish she was my daughter… I would’ve beat the daylights out of her!!!!!!!

Sharon August 13, 2008, 10:49 AM

I think the law need to be more focused on theses pedophiles and people that abuses their kids, and leave us parents alone that is trying our best to raise our kids the right way. I think that’s whay it’s so hard to get our kids to listen and understand that some of the things that they do in life is just not acceptable because the law have our hands tied!!!!!!!!!!!!

delilah goodine August 18, 2008, 2:56 PM

that judge didn’t have no right ruling in favor of that little child. The judge probably doesn’t have any kids. Why was she allowed totake nasty pictures anyway? That’s a rape case waiting to happen. What is wrong with the world?

Summer September 5, 2008, 11:21 AM

I wouldn’t have let her use myspace in the first place. At that age? Have you looked at what girls her age and even younger are putting up on myspace. If you are invovled enough in you childs life then maybe things like this wouldn’t happen. They have family settings for computers and t.v.s why not try them out…

Marjie October 1, 2008, 4:10 AM

Sshhhhhhh……….Don’t tell my kids about this legal blunder or I may be in trouble myself! I took the TV out of the 14 y/o, room for talking back and cursing me, grounded her from ANY field trips this year ( she told me she was going on a field trip, but went to the fair and came home at 1:30 AM )
I caught my 9 y/o selling pokemon cards and video games on the bus and I took away all gaming, card collections and am with holding golf for 2 weeks.
I can’t spank them, and now if some judge wants to take away my right to say no…..I will scream and drop them all ( 7 of the little darlings ) right on the judges door step at 2:AM!!! Let her deal with it!

vee October 2, 2008, 12:37 AM

are you freaking kidding me?!? apparently this judge knows nothing. that is why we have so many out of control juv’s … the parents who actually step up to discipline their children are revoked their right to do so!