'Divorce is Not an Option'

Will Smith makes bold statement...do you agree?

divorce_not_an_option.jpg

Will Smith made major waves recently when he took a stance against divorce on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. "What I found is divorce just can't be an option," he said. "It's really that simple. And I think that's the problem with LA. There are so many options. So a huge part of the success for Jada and I is that we just removed the other options. We're like, listen, we're going to be together one way or the other, so we might as well try to be happy."

Do you share his opinion?

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Kelley June 3, 2008, 10:13 AM

Good for him! It’s so refreshing to hear someone in Hollywood with real morals and values. When I got married, that was forever, it left no “options” or back-door escape clauses. I think there is too much empahsis these days on each person making THEMSELVES happy rather than the couple working together to make their MARRIAGE happy.

The simple fact of knowing you are committed and that divorce is not an option forces you to work through issues that may have otherwise been dealbreakers, and for good reason. If your marriage isn’t worth saving, why get married in the first place?

Now, all that being said, I do believe that abuse IS a reason to end a marriage, and seek help. It’s NEVER acceptable for abuse to occur, and it’s not likely to get better. It’s dangerous for the woman, and her children.

April June 3, 2008, 10:23 AM

I agree whole-heartedly with his statement. When my husband and I got married, we had the same attitude. We will not get divorced because that option is not there for us. If you go into marriage with the option of divorce being on the backburner, then it’s too easy to give in when things get rough.

dixiegirl June 3, 2008, 11:07 AM

I totally agree, except in cases of abuse (mental of physical). My husband and I share the same view.

Anonymous June 3, 2008, 1:19 PM

My question is why is someone saying they are not going to divorce thier spouse considered making “major waves”? Is this country getting that backwards that it’s strange for a couple to not want to get a divorce?

April June 3, 2008, 1:38 PM

Anonymous - we live in the days of pre-nups and divorce lawyers on speed dial “just in case” something happens. It seems as if people no longer believe in the “sanctity” of marriage. I know couples who won’t even say the traditional wedding vows of “till death do us part” because they all say that you never know what might happen. What kind of attitude is that when you are entering marriage?

Anon June 3, 2008, 8:28 PM

Now tell me again why he didn’t say that phrase with his first wife? From what I saw of her she was a very attractive lady, and they had/have children together. So, why wasn’t that an option-huh?
Personnally, this 2nd wife is a real .. well, I won’t say it but, she really bosses Will around and I think this is what he likes! It is ‘She’ who wears the pants in the family.
I’ve lost a lot of respect for Will in the past few years, I think his acting has lost its luster of old, and now hangin’ with Crazy Tom Cruise says a lot about who Will and Jada really are.

Anonymous June 3, 2008, 10:10 PM

I have always heard they have an “open relationship” and ask permission to sleep with other people…THAT IS WHY DIVORCE IS NOT AN OPTION for them…it has nothing to do with morals in hollywood.