Extreme Cartoon Makeovers

Moms' fave dolls and characters are getting a modern twist. Will moms dig the new look?

The syrupy sweet Strawberry Shortcake with a love for her kitty and all things candy, recently got a makeover in an effort to bring her into 2008. Instead of hanging out with Angel Cake and Ginger Snap in Strawberryland, she can easily reach them by cell -- and she looks like she has been using a flat-iron.

She isn't the only one getting an Oprah-style makeover. The Care Bears are getting tummy tucks and longer eyelashes, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are coming back with more muscular bods and even Mickey will be getting a new look. Momlogic moms like the new Strawberry -- but do you think toy companies should change the classics?

next: Moms Are Talking About...
I <3 The Classics! June 12, 2008, 12:53 PM

The new version looks COMPLETELY different from the original Strawberry Shortcake. She’s cute, but she’s not the SAME. I hope they don’t mess with the classics—They’re wonderful as is!

alaboutnow June 12, 2008, 2:15 PM

I used to love Strawberry Short Cake and The Care Bears, I was so happy when I first heard they were bringing them back… until I saw what they did to them. I have DVDs of the old show Fraggle Rock and my daughter loves it. I watched it when I was little so it’s fun for me too. There is music and every story has a moral unlike a lot of the new shows that don’t teach children anything. They should bring back the classics as is. It’s new to the kids and nostalgic for us.

Lorraine March 7, 2009, 7:24 AM

Why can’t they just leave the classics alone? Why mess with a good thing? Because of GREED!

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 9:24 PM

i really like the new Strawberry shortcake. I know she’s not the same, but most girls nowadays really like the new one. The classic was great, but I think it’s a great new look for her.

Anonymous March 23, 2009, 12:57 PM

i think i know why they do thins its NOT about the mom or dad its about your KIDS so she looks different from 1956 or something like that what if they had only had shows that we used to watch your kids wont be happy the dora thing is bad but most cartoons should have them grow up

Susi March 28, 2009, 4:27 AM

I think they should leave the cartoon characters as they are (the classics). I like the new Strawberry Shortcake, but, she shouldn’t be Strawberry Shortcake. I mean Superman doesn’t have white hair…..

Arden Michel February 16, 2010, 7:05 PM

Me, being a young teenager I personally like the new strawberry shortcake. Many people can relate to this new look. Plus the bright colors pop more and are more memorable.