Germaphobes Rejoice

A sign of the times? A new product warns people your baby is hands off.

babysigns2.jpg

Momlogic's Momstrosity: For those nervous moms who have never let another human being touch their baby unless they scrub down like a doctor before surgery -- there's a new product for you!

A company called My Tiny Hands has come up with the idea of a sign you can hang in your baby's stroller or carrier that tells people with unwashed hands not to touch. Kind of like the "Don't feed the animals" signs they put up at the zoo. We think this "invention" goes a little overboard, and perhaps the real sign that should be worn is by the mom:

controlfreak.jpg

Of course, the tiny little sign (which sells for $4.75) can be useful, says pediatrician and momlogic contributor Dr. Cara Natterson. "It's a nice, gentle reminder to people. If nothing else, it is a good deterrent for most people who just reach right in and touch babies."

But hey, why stop at just telling people to wash their hands when you can tell them how to behave around your kid too:

fakesignssigns.jpg

What do you think of My Tiny Hands "Please Wash" Signs: Lifesaver or money waster?

next: Jamie Lynn Spears Has Baby
crystal October 9, 2008, 4:12 PM

i think this is a great idea.. i was just worrying about that now.. with all the germs going around… i feel like i need to be the germ police.. and when you do ask someone to wash their hands they look at you like you are being a butt hole… and i look right back at them and say wash your hands or don’t touch the baby!!!

get over it December 4, 2008, 3:54 PM

I think people who are “GERMAPHOBES or so called GERMAPHOBES” are mentally ill. Germs and Bacteria have been around before all of us. And apparently you were healthy enough to give birth. Germs can also help fight off sickness the next time. Please dont pass on your mentall illness to your children.

Lisa April 2, 2009, 8:45 AM

I feel that the back carriers that moms use are a threat to your child saftey and are unsafe. Strangers can touch and play with your child with out you being aware (your back is turne). Sotherefore there is no safe guard your child from germs! Your parents beware! Germs have and always will be in the atmosphere!

Mom of 4 September 24, 2009, 4:35 AM

Apparently there is a market for these signs. I saw another version featured on CNN. They can be found at www.handsoffbaby.com

Trish October 3, 2009, 8:22 PM

Honestly, I’m amazed at the negative comments. People are DUMB.
I have 2 of the signs- both given to us by the NICU Robbie was lucky enough to come home from. Do germs build immunities? YES…. IF. (IF!) they don’t die from them!
Robbie gets so much as the sniffles and it turns into wheeze, which blocks his airways which limits his oxygen which sends us to the hospital.

Maybe these people should take a visit over to www.thespohrsaremultiplying.com and read about Maddie who caught a cold and died. She was a preemie (just a little bigger than my Robbie) with lung issues and it took her life. Her immune system isn’t working so well right now.

ARGH! Some days I just hate people!

Rachel December 18, 2009, 12:16 AM

Love it! Not so concerned about the germs ppl pass by touching my kid, I just don’t think it’s right for compleat strangers to touch my kid. These thingS would be a great deterant.

Pharme948 April 6, 2011, 11:12 AM

Hello! cdkdeeb interesting cdkdeeb site!