Gymboree Takeover

Erotic boutique Babeland opens this week in Park Slope, Brooklyn, otherwise known as Baby Central.

babe_gymboree.jpg

The sex-toy shop Babeland is opening in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and many parents are rejoicing. Babeland owner and Brooklyn mom Claire Cavanah says she plans to make the shop mom-friendly, running workshops for new moms and offering classes on having a "sex-positive" family. "I'm putting a changing table in the bathroom," she told the NY Daily News.

But things always haven't been so warm and fuzzy between Brooklyn and Babeland. In March, when the sex-toy boutique (steps away from a Gymboree kids' clothing store) was in the planning stages, it had some parents in an uproar, reported Lil Sugar. Although sex is the way we got knocked up in the first place, many moms just aren't comfortable with a shop like Babeland being so near their babes.

What do you think?

next: Celebrity Crib Notes
RealMomsHaveCurves  March 6, 2008, 7:52 PM

This is almost as bad as the strip club near the elementary school in my old neighborhood.

Lela March 6, 2008, 10:38 PM

Babeland is not just any sex shop. It’s a sex shop for us ladies. It rocks. That’s awesome that they finally opened one in Brooklyn (another great reason to never venture to Manhattan again)… about the Gymboree, it’s a clothing store! It’s not a pre-school. Shop at another Gymboree if you don’t feel like getting a gift for yourself when you’re done buying that onesie.

Cynthia March 7, 2008, 2:17 AM

It’s 1 stop shopping all in one!

Sue March 7, 2008, 2:50 AM

now a strip club near the school I can see getting upset about, they did that here also…but a adult shop next to a baby clothing shop com’on…for
1. Baby’s are not going to know or care what that place is unless the parents tell them and probably not even then would they know or care.
2. unless you take the lil one in the adult store and buy a C-Ring and turn it into a teething ring I dont think it should bother anyone.
I can also see the elder generation getting upset about this more so than younger for some reason…we see ‘sex’ everyday/night on the tv. commercials, tv shows, words coming out of everyones mouths…there is no running from it. Besides, adult store or not im sure when baby turns 10 baby will alredy know half of what you do as adults about sex than you did at their age…I should know im a mom of 3 one of which is a teen boy. so I say new moms n dads just need to chill.

evil_imp March 7, 2008, 11:55 AM

I totally agree, with a new little one it’s hard to go shopping let alone have any adult time. One stop shopping is a must. Atleast now daddy has something to go look at while we go get her close! LOL

Anonymous March 8, 2008, 6:24 PM

And what if you’re buying clothes for the baby and happen to have an older kid asking “Mommy, what’s THAT place for?” I think personal shopping should be done during your alone time. Kids shouldn’t be exposed to those kinds of places. But some people are trying to do just that. Remember those cigarette adds that used to cater to kids?

birdsfly June 4, 2008, 7:12 PM

As long as they keep the street view of the shop tasteful I don’t see any problem.

Putti June 4, 2008, 7:23 PM

It seems okay.

Todd June 4, 2008, 8:16 PM

I think it depends on the community’s decisions whether or not to allow it.
And also, once you allow this, what’s next in line, Hustler stores? I think it’s hilarious that a store that sells baby clothes and items has sex toys on the side. It may have a positive outcome on their business. If you shop the sex shop often it may lead to yet another pregnancy, hence you’ll be in the market for more baby things. It does border on the extreme though. It may work, but not for most more conservative neighborhoods.