I "Google" Spy On My Neighbors

Guest Blogger Kristen says "I spy with my little eye--a pool in my neighbor's backyard, thanks to Google Maps!"

Used to be, if you wanted to take a peek in to your neighbor's yard, you'd have to weasel your way in by bringing over a bunt cake. Since, as a new mother, I have no time for cakes--bunt or otherwise--I rely on technology to do the dirty work for me.

My husband and my 8-month-old just moved into our first house in Southern California and I thought I'd try to get to know my neighbors in the most technologically savvy way I know--by going on Google Maps for an aerial view of their backyards. You know what I found? Several homes in my neighborhood have swimming pools! Thank goodness, because our new house doesn't, and southern California summers are freaking hot.

Armed with my new information, I was able to pinpoint exactly who I needed to make friends with in the new 'hood, and who would be the recipient of my store-bought bunt cake.

I'm not the only one scrutinizing maps like some self-serving neighborhood watch. Teenagers in England are also using Google satellite images to locate private swimming pools, then sneaking over fences and walls for moonlight swims in a trend called "pool hopping" or "dipping". Residents have woken up to find that kids have used their pools and left behind beer cans and other evidence.

I think I'll try to use a more neighborly approach by actually getting myself invited over.

Does it freak you out that people can see into your backyard?

next: Like Grandfather, Like Grandson
Beth C. June 22, 2008, 8:00 PM

I’ve looked for my own home and neighborhood and the satellite pics are about 4 years old. So, what you see now may not be current.

Princesspeachfan2008 June 23, 2008, 3:48 AM

It could have been the cause why my house was robbed a few months ago.

April June 23, 2008, 9:01 AM

There’s nothing quite like having a nosy Big Brother for a neighbor.

mom_of2boys July 2, 2008, 8:29 AM

As if the satellite view isn’t bad enough, you can see a street view of my house! It’s much clearer than the satellite view. You can see our vehicles, house, and read the license plate numbers. One good thing - good thing my kids weren’t outside.

Anonymous July 10, 2008, 3:49 PM

i googled my house and it showed images from three years ago so im sure its the same for evryone that i know of my friend told me it was supose to have images from three months ago but im not sure

scottindiana February 10, 2009, 12:16 AM

There is no technology available publicly that allows you to see license plate numbers. You are wrong.

paul May 15, 2009, 7:11 PM

Ya’ll need to stop looking at peoples back yard,its none of your bussiness what your neighbor have,buy your own pool.If i catch you in my pool you will never swim again.MIND YOUR OWN BUSSINESS.STOP BEING SOCIALIST.

azariah April 7, 2010, 6:31 PM

i spyed on my friend po po and her brother about to fight over the mcdonalds drinking cup LOL!!!!!

azariah April 7, 2010, 6:31 PM

azariah April 7, 2010, 6:31 PM

Breast enlargement without surgery January 8, 2011, 4:26 PM

The subsequent time I read a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my choice to learn, but I really thought youd have one thing fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you may repair if you happen to werent too busy on the lookout for attention.

webhosting January 16, 2011, 9:46 AM

Great idea I love this

do follow list March 29, 2011, 1:59 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

flipping website March 30, 2011, 4:33 PM

Would you be serious about exchanging links?

Lenard Tisinger March 30, 2011, 7:06 PM

What inspired you to wrote this post? Frankly, you did a very good job! Keep on posting and I will keep on reading :D

california communities March 30, 2011, 10:48 PM

¡Gracias!

book of ra online March 31, 2011, 2:20 PM

Thank you for every other informative site. The place else may I get that kind of info written in such an ideal method? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

it support March 31, 2011, 5:17 PM

You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be really one thing which I believe I would never understand. It kind of feels too complex and very extensive for me. I’m looking forward in your next post, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 6:15 PM

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

attract men April 1, 2011, 12:28 AM

Hola! I’ve been following your web site for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic job!