Liquored up and Lactating

A new product tests breast milk for alcohol.

milkscreen.jpg

Ah, new motherhood ... exhausted from breastfeeding around the clock and nipples stretched to lengths you never imagined. It all could lead a new mom to drink. While everybody knows alcohol and breastfeeding don't necessarily mix, some of us aren't ready to quit cold turkey. So how do you make sure you can still throw a few back and rest assured your infant isn't enjoying her first taste of Cosmo?

A new product called Milkscreen just hit the stores and the Web and solves the problem for those moms who think breast is best but still love to party. Each package comes with strips you dip into your milk (a breastalizer, if you will) to determine if it the alcohol content exceeds the safe .03 amount.

What do you think of this product: lifesaver or money waster?

next: Say What?
foxymama June 17, 2008, 1:17 PM

My pediatrician told me to drink beer to improve my breast milk supply. Seriously!! So, maybe it’s not ALL bad…if you’re worried PUMP AND DUMP

mom of 3 June 17, 2008, 1:29 PM

My doctor said it’s the alcohol that helps bring your milk in as it relaxes you and thats what your body needs to produce milk is rest. As a mom we all know that getting rest isn’t that easy so it is nice to know we can sit back with half a glass of wine every now and then and know both of us will be okay. I follow with a bottle of water.

SugarPlumFairy June 17, 2008, 1:38 PM

I’ve heard that beer does increase the milk supply. I wonder why that is???

lil_filley June 17, 2008, 1:57 PM

I have researched this topic as a breasteeding mom. What I found was that alcohol is in your milk just like it is in your blood. It doesn’t contaminate the milk. So if you have a drink and wait a couple of hours, the alcohol is no longer in your milk. I always thought I would have to pump and dump, but that is not the case. I thought that was interesting. I havn’t had to worry about it yet, but it’s good to know.

Anonymous June 17, 2008, 2:26 PM

Hey, so there’s a little alcohol in the milk. What’s the big deal, it’ll be Junior’s first White Russian?

Wendi June 17, 2008, 11:22 PM

Well here is a thought, DON”T DRINK and you won’t have to worry about it at all. If partying is that important to you them maybe you should have thought about that before you had kids. Or if you still want to drink then don’t breastfeed!!

Your child should be the most important thing in your life and come first each and every day. Why take a risk at all? I think having a product around like this will only encourage women to drink and in the end the child will pay. It is very selfish to do this.

I gave up everything while I was pregnant and nursing. All the way down to not even taking an allergy pill or Tylenol. It totally paid off, BOTH of my kids are very healthy and normal. One is 11 and the other almost 2. It can be done, it is all about what is more important to you. I CHOOSE my kids!!!

m. June 18, 2008, 2:33 AM

oh wendi…lighten up!! a woman should not have to “give up everything” just because she has a child. we are not going to turn into a bunch of raging drunks just because of this product. maybe you should have a drink or two and RELAX a little!

Wendi June 18, 2008, 12:15 PM

I am all for having a good time, but give me a break. You are telling me that you can’t wait a year to make sure of the safty of your child?? I just think that is down right irresponsible.

As for people not becoming raging drunks, well since there is so many teen girls having babies that feel they are entitled to still have a good time….explain that to them. Their judement is already screwed up, they don’t need a reason to make it okay to drink.

There are other ways to relax. One big one is to just enjoy that wonderful child that you have been blessed with. They are so precious, enjoy taking a nap with them or just snuggeling them. That is the greatest joy of all. No amount of drinking can beat that.

Anonymous June 18, 2008, 8:18 PM

wendi-
do you really think a teen mother who wants to party will even consider a product like the one mentioned above?
i don’t.
this product seems like it is for mature, responsible mothers who might want a glass of wine, a beer, martini etc…and not pass the alcohol to their infant.
women can have a drink and still put their children first.
i think any mother who would use this product is probably pretty responsible.

Shelby September 8, 2008, 10:08 PM

I think this product was wonderful for us! I have been a vegetarian all my life, runner etc., and when I became pregnant, I cut out my occasional glass of white wine, and (sob)my java…
I also didn’t drink while breasfeeding, because to me, I just wasn’t comfortable with wether or not alcohol was or was not out of my system, besides, not drinking wasn’t going to kill me, and then this product came along! My husband and I were able to go out, enjoy a friends wedding, dance, have a few glasses of wine, and a well deserved GREAT time. When we got back, I had already pumped ahead of time, but with Milkscreen,I was able to see that the alcohol was out of my system at our 4 am feeding,(which are my favorite feedings,in bed with them tucked in next to you). I really enjoyed our night out, and I enjoyed the security that Milkscreen gave us.

cheapviagra7551 August 30, 2010, 4:48 AM