McCain Calls Wife C-Word?

The author says it's true and McCain's camp says it's trash. Who's lying?

According to the new unauthorized biography The Real McCain by Cliff Schechter, the presidential candidate's temper got the best of him (and his wife) during the '92 campaign--and he dropped the c-bomb. The book claims that he called Cindy the female body part during a tirade witnessed by three reporters and two aides. "At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, 'You're getting a little thin up there,'" Schechter writes. "McCain's face reddened, and he responded, 'At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you c*nt.'" Whoa. "Cindy just gave an embarrassed smile and remained silent, and the other people in the bus didn't say anything, either," Schechter tells momlogic. "Everyone was utterly speechless."

Momlogic reached out to John McCain's camp for comment about the c-word claims, and John McCain aide Tucker Boundes had this to say: "This is tabloid trash. It has no basis in fact. It calls into question the journalists that report on this."

McCain himself was grilled about this at a town hall meeting last month. Check out the clip here. (Warning: Explicit language is used.) Jon Stewart even had a little fun with the claim this week:

While The Daily Show clip injects some humor into the situation, as women we certainly don't feel the c-word is a laughing matter. We spoke with Cliff Schechter this morning about his explosive claims. "First of all, I wouldn't have put this in my book if I wasn't 100% confident that it was true," he says. "I heard this story from multiple sources, and little details matched up exactly when I talked to more than one person. And, although his staff has denied the claims, McCain himself has never denied the story directly, and I would bet you any amount of money that he never will."

Schechter says that the c-word incident is indicative of why women, and moms in particular, should be wary of John McCain. "Look, he called his wife a c-word. If I called my wife that, I think I'd be living under a bridge somewhere--and rightfully so. If you don't want your daughter to grow up in a world where women are callously referred to as c-words, do your homework on John McCain."

next: My High School Musical Nightmare
Someone June 17, 2008, 7:24 PM

Ok so if I wrote an unauthorized biography on Obama I could say anything as well. So one of my lines would read. Obama being upset and tired of his wife telling him what to do looked at her and said “your one million year behind evolution so begone you ape look alike.”

So with that said is Obama racist towards his wife and I should call an outcry to all women everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! McCain would never say that to his wife. I mean think about it, how crazy that thought is. Cindy is the bread winner, she is worth over 100 million. He also is very much in love with her and I don’t think he would ever call her that. After reading several books about McCain I don’t bel he would ever say that towards anyone. He does have a temper but it is only directed towards ppl who are his equal and when he has very strong emotions on an issue. So everyone should leave it alone and not buy or read this trash talking book.

Mom007 June 17, 2008, 7:57 PM

So his wife isn’t his equal? And please keep your disgusting racist comments to yourself. I come here as a mother and I’d appreciate it if you shut up.

April June 17, 2008, 9:15 PM

No one knows if he really said this or not. It’s an unauthorized biography, and for all we know, the author is just trying to get free publicity - looks like it’s working.

The author (Cliff Schechter) is a devoted liberal - anyone ever read his blog? It’s full of one-liners and cartoons making fun of anyone and anything conservative. Maybe if this guy was a bit more unbiased politically, I would take his claims more seriously.

John June 17, 2008, 10:56 PM

“So his wife isn’t his equal?”

Assume much? You don’t know what that person meant. She’s not equally a politician, equally a presidential candidate, or equally a war veteran. The same way he’s not equally a millionaire and he’s not equally a philanthropist.

If you don’t have a special reservation in the way you act around your wife, that makes you a lousy husband.

Do you read all these comments, just waiting for something ambiguous where you can play the sexist (not racist BTW) card?

Jordan June 18, 2008, 10:09 AM

This is something we should pay attention to in the coming months.

April June 18, 2008, 10:16 AM

So we should pay attention to the CLAIM that he called his wife that… but we should ignore the claims that Obama refuses to say the Pledge of Allegiance, hold his hand over his heart during the National Anthem, and attended a fundamentalist Islam school in Africa?

Makes no sense… we should ignore claims against Obama because they are “unfounded”, but consider the claims about McCain, made by a raving lunatic liberal?

Anonymous June 18, 2008, 11:21 AM

We should pay attention to ALL of it and choose the candidate you can live with.

Jordan June 19, 2008, 5:42 PM

And how does not saying the Pledge of Allegiance equal calling your wife an abusive name? What if someone called your daughter that?

Baron Von Truthelberry June 20, 2008, 1:04 AM

Obama is not senile though. Listen to McCain a bit more, and you will come to know, as I have, that though he may not have Tourette’s, he is a half-wit old bastard. I am tired of puppets in the big chair. Lets all move on.

Rusty Shackleford June 21, 2008, 1:01 AM

April…are you actually suggesting that Obama doesn’t say the Pledge and put his hand over his heart? That’s been completely and totally proven false a million times over…there are videos all over the web showing him leading the Pledge. It’s PROVABLY false.

I’m not saying McCain said it or not…apparently six people or so were present, only they know. Don’t care.

But spreading these false claims about Obama when a simple internet search would answer the issue is so underhanded it’s unbelievable. Do talk-show hosts pay people to go around spouting this nonsense? Do you actually think these two issues are similar in the least? Because if so, and there are more like you out there…we are doomed.

Don’t repeat stuff you don’t understand…just because you heard it on Rush Limbaugh doesn’t make it so. You are already on the internet, for Jebus’ sake, do some research, think for yourself and try to be a positive member of society instead of spreading idiocy.

I am so disappointed in this country, and it’s people like you and the first racist moron who posted who are dragging us even further down. Read, learn, think…before it’s too late.

Lola June 26, 2008, 4:32 PM

Very well said, Rusty!

Anonymous August 10, 2008, 11:10 PM

So… Someone who politically opposes a presidential candidate writes a biography while this man is running for office, in it is a *story* that he may have used unsavory language sixteen years ago, and suddenly he’s a bigot?

Am I the only one who sees a gap in logic here?

Tom August 16, 2008, 1:35 PM

The one thing that all of you who are defending McCain or attacking Obama are overlooking (or conveniently ignoring) is that McCain has never PERSONALLY denied making the statement — only his handlers have said, “It didn’t happen.”

On the other hand, every time accusations have been leveled against Obama, he has personally responded to them — and he has directly addressed AND DENIED the garbage that isn’t true (he’s secretly a Muslim, etc.). At the same time, he has explained things such as him not always wearing a flag pin on his lapel (and I have to agree with him, wearing a pin does NOT make you patriotic). Look a Bush, Cheney, et al. — never without the pin, and a less patriotic bunch (assuming that you define that as standing up for the values that America is supposed to represent) I cannot imagine.

Bottom line: Given McCain’s famous temper (cursing fellow Republicans on the floor of the Senate, etc.), I think that this easily could have happened. That said, I’m sorry, but if it (McCain calling his wife a c***) didn’t happen, why hasn’t he — and she — denied it?

ian b August 20, 2008, 11:22 PM

Ian. Herewith as promised.
Aggrey

angelroost August 29, 2008, 5:06 AM

I think McCain has an anger management problem that probably relates to PTSD, which is understandable after his ordeal as a POW. After doin quite a bit of research, it is believable that McCain called Cindy the word he is accused of calling her. In addition, after spending years working in an ER, I would be suspicious of the arm injuries Cindy has sustained. She claims to have gotton them shaking hands with supporters…but it is very unlikely she got the stress fractures from hand shaking. If she were anyone else besides McCains wife, a social worker would have been called. Those kinds of injuries are often from hot tempered husbands who wouldnt think of hitting a woman, but grab a womans arm.

kaaren September 3, 2008, 5:36 PM

I agree McCain has an anger management problem. This is well known as is his penchant for using profanity and general nasty comments. His association with dominionism would explain an attitude that his wife ‘belongs’ to him and thus no matter her wealth still put her 10 paces behind him as ‘any good wife should be’ according to his current religious leanings.

Kathy September 5, 2008, 4:46 PM

I’m so tired of people trashing the McCains. The man must be doing something right if you all are trashing him. I know when it comes to keeping us safe in this country it will be McCain. Thats the Man for me. By the way my parents always told me You are who you hang out with. Have you checked out Obama friends lately? Obama belives in partcial birth abortion. It seems like we lost the respect for humanity if animals are more important than human life. I guess darvin was some what right. Instead of our ancestry being animals We are going in reverse we are turning into animals.

Jean September 5, 2008, 5:29 PM

Kathy, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Having a temper,does not equate with abuse. Look at how thin she was last night, I think she has other medical problems and I would bet she has osteopenia(sp) or maybe full blown osteoporosis which could certainly account for the stress fractures.
If I had been asked a similar question with that horrible word used in such a mixed audience, I would have done the same- moved on to spare the audience.It is beneath anyone to answer a selfserving question like that - for any politician right or left.I dont believe for a minute that a minister would have said that word.
Many authors are looking to promote their book anyway possible and the truth is not always important.

Anonymous January 18, 2009, 2:31 PM

McCain is a old, womanizing, sexist who makes me sick! I am so glad that I don’t have to hear or see him anymore!

loveusa April 26, 2009, 11:13 PM

Umm Kathy is it?
Obama does NOT support Partial birth abortion, the reason he didn’t vote against it was because he had previously voted against it..do your research