Offensive Obama Doll Pulled

Sometimes toys and politics don't mix.

thesock_obama.jpg

TheSockObama, a stuffed monkey said to honor the presidential hopeful, has created a huge controversy. So much so, that just as we were contacting the company for comment, they pulled the "curious" Obama doll off their Web site--after a storm of angry people wrote in and demanded answers. While the company says the toy was made to introduce kids to politics and support the presidential candidate, it seems a little hard to believe that they were completely naive to the stereotype of comparing blacks to monkeys. But hey, they also claim they wanted to  produce a McCain doll in the shape of a potato. Hmmm...

next: Should Dads Get Paternity Leave?
Anonymous June 17, 2008, 11:50 AM

Get over it. They can make a monkey doll out of me. I promise I won’t be offended. They should make one of “President” Bush too.

SugarPlumFairy June 17, 2008, 12:40 PM

Sorry, anonymous I don’t agree. Given the fact that blacks used to be called monkeys, I find it incredibly offensive.

Wake Up Anon June 17, 2008, 1:30 PM

Anon. you’re a moron, so a monkey doll of you would be a perfect fit…or perhaps a donkey would be better for you?

Naomi June 17, 2008, 1:36 PM

Oh, God, why don’t they make potato dolls of McCain with a red neck eating a cracker while they’re at it. C’mon people, nobody in the company stepped back and said, hmmm…maybe this is a bad idea…? Somebody’s idea of a bad bad joke.

Anonymous June 17, 2008, 1:49 PM

I’d take a donkey doll of me too? Why not? It’s all in good fun no? Well, you guys fight the good fight getting these dangerous dolls off the market. I’ll go worry about stagflation, rising gas prices and that unnecessary war.

Farrah June 17, 2008, 2:03 PM

I think the toy is not only disrespectful but it would have not helped kids learn anything about politics.

SugarPlumFairy June 17, 2008, 2:07 PM

Anon., there is a such thing as good fun, and there is a such thing as downright racist and idiotic. If someone called and treated you as an animal for 400 years and then made a doll out of it, I doubt you would find it funny.

Why Are the Dumb Anons Still Talking June 17, 2008, 2:15 PM

Dolls themselves aren’t dangerous Ah-NON…it’s the idiotic, racist attitudes behind them that fuel unnecessary wars, and create hateful, fear-based lifestyles that hurt every person.

We DON’T like the gas prices etc. either but gas prices—like most things—are a symptom of bigger issues among the human race.

But what do we know, right?

Hey,ANONs—you’re just TOO SMART for the rest of us. Here we are worried about dolls, while you’re really in the KNOW, aren’t you?

The more you speak, the more of a donkey’s butt you resemble.

SugarPlumFairy June 17, 2008, 2:31 PM

I hate gas prices more than anything else as well. I’m with Why Are the Dumb Anons Still Talking. Yes, we could gripe all we want about gas, poverty in the U.S. and abroad and teenage pregnancy (which are more serious than a doll, I will admit) but let’s not neglect that supposedly “small” attitudes have always led to bigger issues in society. this doll could look like a “small” issue but is saying to your child, “Aww, doesn’t Sen. Obama remind you of Curious George?” is NOT the way to teach children about race or politics.

SugarPlumFairy June 17, 2008, 7:21 PM

You think this doll is bad, check out this pin from a Republican:

I was shocked!

F Chap June 18, 2008, 1:24 AM

Wow!!! If The “N” word wasn’t enough, now it’s a monkey doll of Obamba. I am so pleased the doll was pulled from production. The company needs to be ashamed of itself. I wonder what kind of doll they create for Bush.

Zak June 21, 2008, 5:12 AM

Awwww it isn’t a monkey, it’s a doll that looks just like him……. no wait……… it is a monkey……. oh now I am confused!!!!! LOL!!!!! There just mad bc he does look like a dang monkey and so does his wife!!! Get over it!!!!

Heather September 15, 2008, 4:24 PM

Wow. I seriously was totally unaware of the African/monkey thing. Did anyone notice that they have a white “McSock” monkey though? I think it was an innocent faux pas. Sock Monkeys are ridiculously popular and I can see why someone would make a little patriotic monkey thinking it would be a cute little “Vote for [insert your candidate here]” gimmick. Take a picture of a kid campaigning with their stuffy… Knowing now that there is a negative connotation that goes along with monkeys, probably not such a hot idea, but I wonder if they really knew since they had McCain monkeys too, ya know?
I think that this election is bringing out the true colors of everyone; it almost feels like if you DON’T vote Obama you MUST be prejudiced. I wish all Americans could be as colorblind as we profess…
I am trying to not be biased but lots of people are spewing the “he’s too old” or “he’s too young”, “he’s too black” or “he’s too white”, “he’s so urban” or “she’s way too rural”. C’mon, let’s listen to what they’re saying, instead of how they appear or where they grew up.

Anonymous October 6, 2008, 1:15 PM

I think it probably WAS innocent—but stupid. And no, a McCain Potato is NOT the same thing. My friend calls me a “mick” and a “potatohead” all the time, and I think its pretty funny. I do not, however turn around and call her a “porch monkey” Its not the same thing.

Get over it July 8, 2010, 3:37 PM

Get over it I saw. Just because it was insulting in the past doesn’t mean it is today. Frankly, I never connect monkey with anything racist until a bunch of old people made a big deal about this doll. I call my kids monkeys all the time, so I didn’t really see a difference. My kids didn’t either. A monkey is someone playful and full of energy, how is that an insult? Just because it was associated in the past with this or that doesn’t mean it is today. Gay, for example, used to mean happy, but now it means a homosexual.