Dad Jailed for Kid's Sunburn

A Kentucky man is charged with abuse for allegedly failing to apply sunscreen on his fair-skinned boy.

sunburnboy.jpg burnsunburnboy.jpg

Most of us do our best to keep our kids slathered with sunscreen on those hot summer days, but who would've thought if we didn't we could land in jail? That's what happened to a father from Kentucky who allowed his 2-year-old son to stay in the 95-degree blazing heat, shirtless, with no sunscreen protection for over an hour. The child sustained second-degree burns and landed Bobby Jones in jail for criminal abuse.

Sadly, pediatrician and momlogic contributor Dr. Cara Natterson isn't surprised. "This story illustrates the power of the sun and its potential to cause acute injury," says Natterson. "It's a painful reminder children must be well protected in the summer months. Keep them in the shade, cover them with loose-fitting long-sleeved shirts or long pants when appropriate, and apply sunscreen to exposed skin every 1-2 hours when your child is outside."

For more tips check out our momlogic Summer Safety 101 Primer.

next: Summer Survival Guide: 6-10 Years
Ben June 12, 2008, 6:23 PM

Those are some bad burns… I don’t think the guy should have been jailed, but the kid is two years old. He can’t be expected to know how to protect his skin.

reneejohnson June 12, 2008, 6:32 PM

i understand the importance of sunscreen but sometimes you just forget to put sunscreen on your children but i dont think someone should be jailed for it.i come from a family who hardly ever use sunscreen and nothing ever happened to us.what i usually do is tell my daughter to stay out of the sun if at all possible, and if she is outside when the sun is shining to try and find some shade and thats what i do for myself as well.me and my daughters skin is so sensitive that sunscreen will probably break us out.so i dont use sunscreen.i tried it once and i was itching for days.

MRSEVW85 June 12, 2008, 7:35 PM

This is another example of how STUPIDITY can be deadly! I’m glad the KY father was jailed! He needs to be kept FAR AWAY from his son! Time in jail is EASY; he should be sunburned so that HE can feel the AGONIZING pain from (what looks like) second-degree burns! What other painful symptoms did the toddler have from over-exposure to the sun?

LeLe June 12, 2008, 8:01 PM

I think as a parent I don’t always remember to the right things. However leaving that child in the heat for that long he should have had on a shirt. I don’t think the father being jailed was necessary.

Zachary June 12, 2008, 10:56 PM

I grew up on the Lake and I never put on sunscreen. I was out on the boats and sea-doos and all that stuff and never put it on. However with my own kids, if we are going to be outside for extended periods, then yeah I spray it on them. however I think the kid in the pics was outside longer then they said. Those are bad burns. I don’t think the dad should have been jailed for it though. It is an honest mistake. I think if it happens again then yeah throw him in and throw away the key.

Anonymous June 13, 2008, 1:21 AM

Overkill.
I got a couple second degree sunburns as a kid. Should my parents have been put in jail for it? Hardly. It happens. Plus, it’s only blisters. Yeah, the dad should have done more, but is it a huge enough deal to jail him for it? Absolutely not. Give me an effing break.

Kate June 13, 2008, 7:30 AM

Jailed, seems overkill. But regardless of whether you burn or not, sunscreen is essential for your health. To say that “we never used it and we’re fine” is crap, this is a different time, the ozone layer, etc, come on. Do you really want your kids to get skin cancer later in life, just because you were “fine” and they should be too? There are a lot of sunscreens out there, and because you’re allergic to one, doesn’t mean you are to all of them. Neutrogena for sensitive skin is great, the only one my son isn’t allergic to, for those that need a recommendation. And some kids and adults DO burn that fast in that short of a time.

Christa June 13, 2008, 8:05 AM

A parent who willfully (is there any other way) allows a 2-year-old child to develop this kind of burn over a 1 1/2-hour period most certainly should be jailed. After just a few minutes in such intense sun any halfway observant and decent parent would easily have known the child needed to be in the shade and sunscreen applied. I don’t even know if any sunscreen could have protected against this. This is a case of an absent parent leaving a baby to fend for itself. No way the father could have been anywhere nearby as this burn happened over a considerable period of time. It sends precisely the right message to jail and prosecute this father. We have become a nation that chronically neglects the welfare of its kids, from health and safety to character development to education. We’re raising now the third generation of morally and socially retarded morons.

BeachBum June 13, 2008, 8:30 AM

When I was 5 I went to the beach with some family friends. I fell asleep on the beach and awakened with a terrible sunburn. I raced into the water to cool off and was immediately attacked by a jellyfish. Not a good day. They didn’t sent the friends’ parents to jail. They didn’t send my folks to jail. And guess what? I learned to pay attention and turned out OK. Our government is totally out of control—-the judge should be in jail. Or staked out on the beach for a day then tossed into the jellyfish pool.

Carrie June 13, 2008, 8:34 AM

Jail may be overkill in this situation, but as a parent of two kids, I may not always think of myself but I always think of putting sunscreen on my children.
To anonymous who said its just blisters! Imagine if you had them and somone told you that! This little boy has to be in obvious pain. As a kid I have had numerious burns where it hurt to even wear a shirt. Imagine what this little guy is going through and this can potentially affect him later in life. We dont know if he was taken to a dr. but if so, I am sure the dr. felt some sort of obligation to protect the child more than hand over a topical cream.

Alicia June 13, 2008, 12:00 PM

Which will be a longer lasting scar in this young child’s life. The fact that his father was jailed or the fact that his father made a mistake. Parents make mistakes everyday! If that is the case we should all be incarcerated. Sunburns happen with or without sunscreen. Yes, this little guy has a severe case but the important fact is that his father learns from this experience. His son’s physical scars will heal but the emotional scar of his father going to jail will stick with him and his father for the rest of their lives.

angie June 14, 2008, 11:14 PM

I definately agree that the child had been out longer than 1 1/2 hours. I don’t think the dad should’ve been jailed. Yes, it is a terrible burn, but we all make mistakes, and those of you that disagree, …well you do have your own opinions, but really, stop and think of a time you haven’t made a really, stupid mistake. This is NOT child abuse. If it happened more that once, maybe? This is so ridiculous. There are so many people I see in public that are publicly abusing their childrent whether it be physically or verbally and they just get by with it. I say the dad is not guilty.

momof9 June 15, 2008, 7:50 PM

As to the time it takes to get a severe burn for me I blister after only about 15 minutes…my skin just can’t take the sun at all. However, my husband can stay out all day and just get slightly red. I worked a summer camp for girls this summer and we were told that as counselors it is our job to be sure that all the girls in our care use sunscreen even the girls with darker skin. We also were not allowed to let a child who had any redness from the sun return to the pool until they had been seen by the nurse and given her OK to return to the sun. We as counselors apparently can be held legally liable if we allow a child to get a sunburn. I was surprised to have several moms become irrate when they learned that their daughter who came to camp with already burned, peeling and even blistered skin would not be allowed in the sun at our camp. I use sunscreen on my own children if they are going to be in the sun for too long a period but the chemicals in most sunscreens make me sort of scared to apply it every time they walk out the door…so I try to reach what I think is a delicate balance of mild sun exposure versus mild chemical exposure. So far we have had no severe burns in any of my children who are still under 18. The older ones have gotten burns from time to time while out with their friends on college trips and stuff though. I think more investigation would be needed to determine if the father let the child burn on purpose before he should be jailed though.

jessi June 17, 2008, 9:01 PM

that is just wrong.
very.very wrong.
enough said…

star June 20, 2008, 11:00 AM

give me a frickin break!! MY x HAS DONE FAR FAR FAR FAR WORSE , LIKE PUTTING MY 2 YEAR OLD UP IN A CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT VEHICLE! ON HER/HIS OWN. (DOES IT ALL THE TIME!) I ONCE FOUND MY 15 MTH OLD IN A SWELTERING DUMP TRUCK, HOLE IN THE FLOOR, EXHAUST FUMES COMING UP, LEANING OUT THE WINDOW!!!ENGINE ON!!!, THEY ARE 8 AND 10 NOW AND HE LETS THEM PLAY WITH HIS MANY MANY COLLECTION OF 50-60 GUNS!!! YEAH. DOES HE GO TO JAIL??? HECK NO! HIS DADDY IS ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND SHAKES THE JUDGES HAND…HE BROKE INTO MY HOUSE , STOLE FROM STORAGE UNIT, ETC…

KY IS A CRAZY COMMONWEALTH, I LOVE IT, BUT LOTS OF TWISTED COURTS IN THE DIXIELINE.

Amanda August 11, 2008, 6:51 PM

As i mother i know for a fact that parents dont always remember to put sunscreen on thier children. And an hour is not a long time at all. That father (also being a Man) let his child play for an hour, wich probably flew by, and then BAM bad sunburn. He never knew it was comming i’m sure….and i’m also sure it was not neglect. He should not be in jail. I totally disagree with the law inforcement and how they handled this situation. Hell, my child got sunburned yesterday, and my whole family was there, most of us were burnt…..shit happens, and it was a learning experience for that father, it wont happen again i’m sure, and i’m also sure he loves his son.

rulsgrl August 14, 2008, 10:43 AM

Instead of jail, he needs a parenting class.
My mother did the same thing to me as a child, just because she was too dumb to understand to put sunblock on me.
He really needs someone to take some mercy on him and sit him down and explain to him good parenting skills. If he doesnt understand to put sunblock on his kid, then what on earth else is he doing wrong?

Kris with a K September 10, 2008, 11:26 PM

Seriously?? Jail time for this guy and yet the #@*&%$##@s who kill their babies by leaving them in hot cars keep getting nothing?! If we’re gonna punish negligent stupidity, we should do it across the board.

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 2:23 PM

I’ve organized many exhibitions at the Fashion Institute of Technology in my previous years and am presently functioning with a forum for the market.

Merchant December 25, 2010, 6:54 AM

cheers thanks for that submit