Teen Mom Explains Pregnancy Pact

A Gloucester, Mass., teenager speaks out.

teen_mom_pregnancy270.jpg

When we brought you the news of the teen pregnancy pact in Gloucester, Mass., yesterday, the response was overwhelming. It was our most popular story of the day, and moms are still talking about how 17 girls at Gloucester High got pregnant this year -- and half confessed they had made a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together.

What is the reason for this disturbing trend? This morning, momlogic spoke with Christen Callahan, a teen mom from Gloucester, for her insight.

Momlogic: Did you know anything about the pregnancy pact?

Christen: I didn't know there was an official pact, but I kind of figured that there was something going on because there was a specific group of friends who all got pregnant at the same time.

Momlogic: Why do you think this is happening?

Christen: I think Juno and Jamie Lynn Spears certainly play a part in it. A lot of people look up to celebrities, and I definitely think it's an influence. But I really don't know if that's the main reason the pregnancy pact is going on in my town. It certainly didn't have anything to do with my own pregnancy. My daughter, who's 3, was unplanned, and I got pregnant at 14.

Momlogic: What's your advice to other teens who want to get pregnant?

Christen: Before you have a child, you really need to think about it, because you literally have to give up everything. You can't go out anymore. You lose your friends and your social life. I am crazy in love with my daughter and wouldn't change having her for the world, but it is such a huge commitment. These girls have no idea.

Momlogic: Do you think the on-site daycare center at Gloucester High School promotes teen pregnancy?

Christen: I think in a way it does. It's there and it's readily available, so it's just easy for the teen moms to just leave their kids there. It kind of seems like there's not really a consequence to getting pregnant, if that makes sense. However, the on-site daycare center was a really good thing for me personally, because I was able to continue my education and even graduate early because my daughter was cared for there.

Momlogic: Is there anything you wish your mom would have told you before you got pregnant?

Christen: If anything, maybe my mom could have talked to me more about the consequences. She never had "the talk" with me about the birds and the bees. I just kind of figured it all out on my own.

Momlogic contributor psychologist Dr. Lisa Boesky, who discussed the pregnancy pact on The Early Show this morning, concurs. "Teens consistently say they want to talk to their parents about teen pregnancy and to get answers," she says, "but today's parents aren't sending the message that teen pregnancy is not OK." It's time to speak up.

Coming tomorrow: Dr. Lisa shares with momlogic the top five reasons the pregnancy pact exists.

next: Michelle Obama's Dress for Less
Tanya June 21, 2008, 12:31 AM

I am also a teen mother i got pregnant with my first son at age 16 and had my second a few weeks ago i am currently 18. I think that girls really do not understand what is is to raise a child. I really didnt know either but now that i know i try my hardest to talk to the young girls about what i went through and if they choose to have sexual intercourse that to be smart.

mich June 21, 2008, 8:17 AM

if you got pregnant once, why did you let it happen again?!? it always amazes me when people make the same mistake twice.

these girls should be slapped for being so stupid, but they’ll be in their own little hell when the babies come, the majority of the dad’s bail, and they see what being pregnant does to your body.

BadChoice June 21, 2008, 10:44 PM

Stupid girls…life/career everthing given up at such an early age

I hope they suffer badly

Anonymous June 22, 2008, 12:08 AM

it wasnt a mistake the only mistake was that i was too young but i love my kids and i wouldnt change it for the world. Haveing them made me a better person and i can say that now. You make your bed you have to lay in it. if you had a pregnant teen daughter would you want some one to tell her that she will suffer. Now that these girls are pregnant what can people do now whats done is done now people should help them become good mothers

Connie June 23, 2008, 5:09 PM

I was pregnant with my first at 15, married her father, and had 3 by 20. My 15 year old daughter is now expecting, and I will be a 31 year old grandmother despite my trying to teach the opposite of what my mother did, and openly teach my children about safe sex, pregnancy, etc. I think teens, as I did, have this dreamy vision of bouncy smiling babies, and are not capable or just don’t sit and think about the diapers, colic, illnesses, loss of freedom, and setbacks on top of the huge financial and medical responsibilities a child will bring. Yes, you love them, but you give up your life when you bring another into this world. You are now living for that person. The guys, often just as young do not stick around. They get scared of the commitment, haven’t lived yet, and find out the responisibilities are so great they run like the young boys they are. You can’t really expect more. Once your pregnant, you have to start planning and thinking of every next step for you and the baby-alone-don’t count on anyone. There is help out there, but it is so hard. These girls are just thinking that it’s going to be so great and fun and they have these kids growing up together, etc. Have they thought that they will be so busy supporting them, and not having any time to get together, that most likely they will grow apart and hardly ever get to see each other? Then, they’ll look at the girls thier aghe who did not get pregnant, going out, having fun, dating, spring break, etc. and it will be too late for them. Stretch marks, stretched skin, used, that’s only the beginning of it.

Gary June 25, 2008, 6:14 PM

Parents are so influential to their children’s lives…This is why parents need to teach kids to be understanding and tolerant. You can see that need on the show Baby Borrowers on tv. These teens are left to look after kids they barely know, and you can see the lack of patience and tolerance on their faces… dont be them, learn from them

Natasha July 9, 2008, 4:19 PM

Wow, all those young girls need to give there heads a shake!, big time!.

It’s so sad when you hear and see all this happening, I hope in hell they all know who the fathers are and I hope they had explained this “Pregnancy Pact” with these guys befor having unprotected sex with them at the time.

I think that all those girls in the “Pregnancy Pact” should go on that new T.V show Baby Borrowers and see how it is on the other side, they might be in for a HUGE shock.

buydrugs September 10, 2008, 11:23 PM

A significant percentage of our patients coming for medical treatment
have to pay for the cost of their drugs, as out of pocket expenditure, since they do not
carry any medical insurance cover, whether private or state. Therefore, an important
question that arises is whether patients are receiving adequate information from their
treating doctor regarding the prices of the various brands of drugs that are available in the
market in context with the drug prescribed to them.

Nicole November 2, 2008, 3:18 PM

I can’t believe that teenage girls are so impressionable, that they could make a pact to change their entire lives. I was one the teen mother’s in highschool, but I made it a point to not be another statistic! I never recieved any gov’t assistance, I finished college, and I married the father of my child. I was a lot different than most teen moms, but I did have to work a lot harder than most people my age! Today I am successful and have a wonderful life and I owe it all to being a teenage mom! I think when life gives you challenges you should rise above them!

Beth January 9, 2009, 8:53 AM

well thank you all for showing me how disrespectful and unappreciative and horrible you really are. i had my daughter at 15 years old, her father and i are still together and doing well, i am graduating high school and starting college in the fall. i have never fallen behind in school, my fiance and i have supported our daughter on our own since before her birth and are not on welfare or anything so thanks a lot for stereo typing all of us into one category, we are not all the same. i hope you suffer in return. as nicole said above me, when life gives you challenges rise above them.

Amie February 10, 2009, 5:53 PM

Umm Wow.. I Don’t Agree With The Teen Pregnancy That Seems To Be Flooding My Generation, But To Say That They Should “Suffer Badly” Is Just Disgusting, Shame on You “Bad Choice”

Ashley January 3, 2010, 6:14 PM

I don’t agree with what these girls did, but hopefully, they are up for the challenges they face in the future and will still live their lives to the fullest. I wish them well.

marty the kid behsman February 10, 2011, 8:58 AM

I was born in gloucester and raised my mother had me at 16,And grew to be a sucessful women and me im 27 and got 2 kids.1 ,5 yrs and 1, 5 months.We make it by sometimes things are bumpy sometimes im short on cash,sometimes i cant make a bill,but guess what i know people that waited and theyve been divorced and and had there cars repoed,so who cares what people say.If you girls raise ya kids ta the best of your knowhow and beyond and raise them right..THEN IN THE LONG RUN YOULL WIN..oh and for those that dont know gloucester the best way to describe it is remember that game telephone were you whispered to someone.I got an apple in my bag.And by the time it got to the last person they said i have an orange in my pants…all because of the he said she said bullshit