The Purity Promise

These days, young stars are sacrificing sex in favor of virginity vows. Momlogic explores this modern movement -- and what it means for teens everywhere.

What's the latest accessory to grace the bodies of teens wearing barely-there skirts and tummy-bearing tops? Purity rings. Selena Gomez, the 15-year-old star of Wizards of Waverly Place, wears one on her left ring finger that says: "True Love Waits." And the pop group the Jonas Brothers (Kevin, 20, Joe, 18, and Nick, 15) don silver metal bands to signify their promise to God to remain virgins until marriage.

American Idol winner Jordin Sparks says of her ring: "My parents gave me a purity ring and talked to me about waiting until I'm married to have sex. It wasn't forced; it just made perfect sense. It's going to be awesome to say to my husband that I waited my whole life for him."

These stars seem to want to prove they can be young and have fun without sacrificing their beliefs. And although this celebrity pledge may inspire young teens to wait until marriage, the numbers show they are just a reflection of a booming trend. Over the past decade, the number of Web sites selling purity rings has skyrocketed. In fact, sociologists found more than one in eight American teens have made a virginity vow to God.

K-Mart now sells gray, yellow, and blue sweatpants that proclaim in what they call "bold abstinence screen print" a logo that reads "True Love Waits" on the crotch and butt of the pants. And there's a new magazine geared toward junior high and high school students called Just For Girls, which encourages "abstinence living."

The good news: Studies have shown that purity pledges lower the risk of early sexual activity and teen pregnancy. The bad news: Researchers have also found that girls who make purity pledges were six times as likely to engage in oral sex than virgins who hadn't taken a pledge, and were also less likely to use a condom the first time they go all the way.

What do you think of purity pledges: good idea or a waste of time?

next: Boy Scout Camp Tornado Nightmare
Anonymous March 30, 2010, 1:52 PM

I love how no one seems to think it is possible to respect yourself, and your body while having sex. There is nothing wrong with sex, even outside of marriage, it can still be in a loving, mature relationship even if that relationship does not last forever.

Our culture is not sex saturated, so much as saturated with lies and exaggerations, in part because sex has always be a taboo to talk about.

Yes, it feels good, yes it has risks, risks that can be dramatically reduced pair with educated birth control use.

If for your own personal or religious reasons you choose not to have sex, great, but that isn’t the only healthy sexual attitude either.

Throwing a ring at teenagers doesn’t count for jack squat, what does count is being open, honest, understanding, and teaching them the truth about sexual health.

julia April 18, 2010, 2:41 PM

i’m 13 and have worn a purity ring since i was 11, and i know plenty of people my age who have ALREADY lost their purity, so i think the pledge and idea is great especially in this present day!

Hailey June 1, 2010, 2:00 PM

Stop saying “Its okay to wait until your in love” and “Sex is healthy, even outside of marriage”… Thats not true. Look at all of the people out their that have shared themselves with a partner that they ‘were in love with’ and have gotten STDs.
I’ve made the commitment of with-holding sex until I have married (I was 10) because I feel my husband is special and deserves a gift for being my REAL AND TRUE LOVE. I am not going to share my body with a guy I know I won’t marry since I’m a teenager (turning 15 this year) because guys my age aren’t looking for anything serious.
I might be the ‘40 year old virgin’ until I marry but I know that that special someone is out there for me and when I find him, I will reward him greatly.
Oh, and another thing. People that make the choice (themmselves) of waiting until marriage, have a deep self-respect and high sef-esteem of their whole being. Stop criticizing us just because YOU didn’t wait. Thanks.

Katie's Mom June 3, 2010, 11:15 AM

I totally agree with “Anonymous”
I happen to believe that organized religion causes more problems than it solves in this world (hey, it’s what I believe - I don’t say you shouldn’t believe what you want 8^) Linking sex to religion and judging people based on an expectation of blind faith (if “God” say so it must be right) just does not make sense to me.
People need to think for themselves, educate themselves, and teach their children to do the same. Doing anything because someone tells you that “God” says so just doesn’t make sense. After all, if there is a God, she gave us the ability to think and use free will - didn’t she?

Missy June 3, 2010, 11:58 AM

Well, keeping yourself for the right one sounds nice, but I guess everybody knows that nowadays a lot of people don’t do that any more. I’m 17 at the moment and still a virgin, and I don’t think that’s going to change easily, because my parents have always thougth me to honor myself, not because I would have made some promiss to God, that some people are bound to break, but because I am worth the guy who doesn’t just jump onto me to have sex. I do not think you have to have a purity ring and make a promiss to God to decide to not sleep with anyone till you are totally dedicaded to whoever it is you are with. And that can be before marriage, but in my opinion, you should allready be married in your heart. O dear, that just sound overly romantic, but I guess you get the point?

O and oral sex is sex too, so I don’t consider that ‘keeping’ your promiss to God, it is just avoiding your promiss by doing such a stupid thing.

15 yr Grl June 23, 2010, 2:42 AM

I know nobody’s commented in a long time, but I just wanna say - my mom talked to me about Purity when I was 11 years old. I’m 15 and a virgin. I don’t have a boy friend, I wear modest clothes, and I set boundaries that I will NOT break. Including waiting till marriage. I have friends who have waited too, and they are very happy people. No parents deprives their children of any experience or joy by teaching them to Wait, because teens choose it for themselves. I choose to wait - even for my first kiss. I have had dreams about my children, my future husband, and my life when I get older, and it excites me - I don’t want to let anything get in the way of that, because I know that not being fully commited to my husband - even now - might limit our devotion. Plus, I love Jesus Christ and He’s warned me to be careful and not to get physically involved with anyone… YET. I am waiting, and I hope you all are too.
It’s your life, don’t mess it up. (Sex is not the same as Love - and ‘til you are ready to give Your whole love to someone, sex needs to wait.)

Andrew A. Sailer July 26, 2010, 2:28 PM

Hello,i search your blog from google,perfect!!I am browsing exquisite prose.

supra skytop July 27, 2010, 3:12 AM

Can you believe this site has been cheated of risk?

babyblue August 27, 2010, 11:50 AM

@15yrGrl-Much respect to you. Keep following Christ and make HIm your #1 priority. I’m in my mid-twenties and will soon get married. Yes, still a Virgin, b/c I have waited for the right one to be my wife, and respect my body as well. Overall, I Love God and want His blessing in my marriage. I know it’s WORTH the wait. Wait on the Lord and He will answer.

paint work home jobs October 21, 2010, 3:53 PM

Tea Incident,report presence realise warm may desire strongly your remind little civil perform office foreign those closely broad carry else understanding soldier nature would operate cheap amount concerned laugh state side even liberal sell development recognition suggestion famous consist wind amongst this if royal stick representation external obtain instrument include horse subject press public list pick shout own operate bottom week avoid technical beat again accompany prefer reality alternative congress artist attractive forget assume as her again except channel daughter treatment opportunity background tour reader pool transport page i deny talk love book shoot

Anonymous November 8, 2010, 11:18 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW

Dsl High Speed Internet Service November 25, 2010, 1:29 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Fort Myers Wedding Photography December 11, 2010, 12:36 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

Manuela Isle December 16, 2010, 6:56 PM

I’d have to give the go-ahead with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I really like reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

blinds direct January 23, 2011, 6:14 PM

I appreciate the time you put into this post. Your post has me wanting to kickoff my own webblog now. Thanks again for taking the time to put this up.

varicella zoster February 2, 2011, 10:19 AM

fantastic points altogether, you just gained a brand new reader. What would you recommend about your post that you made some days ago? Any positive?

dresses for wedding guests February 17, 2011, 8:44 AM

If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair.

Chicken Pox Prevention February 19, 2011, 2:58 AM

It is really a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

ball joint tool kits February 21, 2011, 1:38 AM

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

chicken pox scar removal February 23, 2011, 2:36 PM

I found your website through a random stroke of luck. It helped me do my research on this topic. I really learned alot from your site. Don’t stop writing articles, because I would become lost!