Top 5 Worst Movies for Girls

Forget about Miley, Britney and Paris: the real bad influence on our daughters--these five flicks.

Top 5 Worst Movies for Girls

Grease

Sandy starts out a sweet, innocent virgin until the Pink Ladies teach her to dress and act like a cheap harlot. With cigarette dangling out of her mouth, sporting skin-tight leather pants, she finally wins Danny Zukow's heart and, as they fly away in their car to the strains of "We go together like rama lama lama ka ding-a da ding-de dong," one can only think that within a week Sandy's gonna get knocked up, contract a venereal disease...or both.

Cinderella (1950)

There is no detectable reason why Cinderella is in love with the prince--they spend almost zero screen time together. She'd make a better match for that fat little mouse, Octavius, than the dull-as-paint prince. Unless Cinderella is just looking for a meal ticket, it's sad to think a young girl with such an affinity for animals doesn't end up studying to be a veterinarian.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

One of the main characters (a teen) completely throws herself at the cute boy and then has random sex on the beach. Problem. Should've been called Sisterhood of the Traveling Underage Sexploits

The Little Mermaid

Ariel falls in love with a guy because she thinks he's hot. Then, he falls for her when she doesn't even have a voice! In the end, she changes herself (from a mermaid to a human) just to be with him. A beautiful, mute mermaid gallivanting around in a seashell bra might be every man's fantasy, but for little girls, it sends a fishy message.

Clueless

Yes, Clueless is based on the classic Jane Austin book Emma, but there are major differences. Emma wasn't an idiot and Cher well, she's got good fashion sense, but not much else. And what's up with her ending up dating her stepbrother? Creepy.

next: Sex and the City: Mom Review
Charli May 31, 2008, 9:04 AM

I think that this is over the top and outrageous! Mainly because one has to go above and beyond to come up with these reasons.

Movie 1 Grease. yes they do get her to change her appearance but Danny loves her and tries to change his image too. and at the end of the movie they do sing that song but it is based for the whole group getting together.

Movie 2 Cinderella. It is true that they don’t meet until the ball but I don’t know if you know this or not but Love like that does happen. It happened to me. It’s called Love at first sight…Most people don’t believe in that kind of thing. Plus it’s a fairy tale. Make Believe!

Movie 3 Sisterhood of the Traveling pants. Yes she does meet a guy and have sex with him but it’s for a deeper meaning she is messed up and didn’t have a mom as a role model…if you remember right she lost her mom when she was little.

Movie 4 the little Mermaid. Ok so you are telling me that people who are deaf who don’t know how to speak are no able to fall in love? Yes this is a fantasy that men have but there are other mermaid movies out there…not just this one.

Movie 5 Clueless. I agree that it is creepy that she ends up dating her step brother, but if you did notice they weren’t related anymore because her dad wasn’t married to his mom anymore…I think that the dad had his own issues and couldn’t hold down a marriage. So what if she didn’t have brains…she did have fashion sense and that could take her to be a designer!

NottaMomma May 31, 2008, 9:31 AM

She’d make a better match for that fat little mouse, Octavius, than the dull-as-paint prince.
Haha. Never did understand her attraction to the prince.

Anonymous May 31, 2008, 10:00 AM

Danny was a pig who put on a varsity sweater for a day and will absolutely go back to being the loser he was. Would you want your own daughter with him?

Love at first sight? Ridiculous.

Charli May 31, 2008, 10:13 AM

Ok it does happen my hubby and I knew from our first date. For those who don’t know what it’s like don’t know the true power of it!

danasmom May 31, 2008, 12:22 PM

wow, this is seriously funny!

stinkybrat41 May 31, 2008, 1:14 PM

these movies and their underlying messages are’nt the most wholesome but in harmony w/that thought how about many of the “so-called” family shows of Disney, or even the other network shows: gossip girl, one tree hill, smallville and others that feature the whole “it’s only ok, if you reeeeeeally love him mentality” and “follow your heart” (which incidentally is horrible advice). and i do belive in LAFS but it does’nt count for much when those rose colored glasses come off-those burned know what i mean.

ashley May 31, 2008, 3:49 PM

dnt make fun of these movies theres nothing wrong with them

sarah May 31, 2008, 6:52 PM

While I agree with most of your points, I question the inclusion of “Clueless.” Unlike the other movies, it is a teenage/adult comedy - not a family film. Cher is supposed to be a funny, frivolous character, not a role model to viewers. The movie is not intended for children too young to understand the difference, but has appeal for older viewers.

dani May 31, 2008, 11:05 PM

charli, i agree with you about grease, but that’s it. a lot of disney movies are bad for young girls( i personally think disney is evil). and in the little mermaid, she’s not born with a disability, she chooses to lose her voice in order to get the guy. what does that say to young girls? “don’t talk. just be pretty and things will go your way.”
as far as sisterhood of the traveling pants, just because she doesn’t have a mother doesn’t mean she should go around having random sex with someone. confusing sex for love is not something that i would want my daughter to be exposed to. she should see a therapist.
but as for clueless, cher actually was smart. her father made sure that she got good grades.

Jen E June 1, 2008, 9:15 AM

So funny and strangely true despite the fact that 4 out 5 are some of my favorite all time movies. Yikes!

Ambrosia June 2, 2008, 2:02 PM

Jules they”re just movies—not meant to be real anyway..not everything has to be a lesson does it?

Shay June 2, 2008, 5:20 PM

Don’t forget Legally Blonde, Last Holiday, and Beauty Shop. Talk about overcoming adversity.

Princesspeachfan2008 June 8, 2008, 8:31 PM

Ok! Cinderella is intended for kids and thats final, sue disney for it and promise yourself to live in jail. Cinderella’s ending was The prince married her, not she married the mouse, i think you have edited the scenes in Cinderella or you are just sick of Movie editing syndrome which is an obsession of making fun of movies, you’d rather make a youtube poop-thats where u belong!

Dad June 9, 2008, 9:34 PM

I agree these movies aren’t good for teaching young girls the “right” lessons. Fortunately for my daughter, we choose to teach her to be a strong woman and a good person, and we don’t let movies do all the teaching for our kids.

So, if she wants to watch these Disney Princess movies, that’s fine with us…

Elizabeth June 18, 2008, 1:36 PM

Wow.. Whoever came up with this really needs a hobby! (and that shouldn’t be thinking too much into movies) Movies, animated or not are supposed to be entertaining in one way or another. If children are getting a ‘wrong’ message from what they watch? Then their parents should be responsible for what they watch. Making sure that it is age appropiate and that they understand what they should and should not get out of what they’re watching. Basic parenting.

Leigh July 9, 2008, 11:56 AM

I hate Disney, so I can agree with that. But do you remember that dreadful soccer movie, I think it was called “Ladybug” or something equally awful, and the plotline was that the losing girl’s team had a boy, disguised as a girl, play for them so they could win? Trumps ALL if the above, except Disney. Google “Disney and lemmings” and find out how awful Disney really is.

teen passing by August 31, 2008, 1:38 PM

Pardon, I must disagree with your opinions on Disney. Yes, I have herd about several inappropriate things about some Disney movies, however most of the inappropriate things are not detectable by children. In fact, I myself had not distinguished any of them (like the word “sex” being written in the sky in the movie lion king) until my friend told me about them. I grew up with Disney films and I turned out to be perfectly fine. I don’t drink, do drugs, party, or have sex, and I am an intelligent, strong minded individual. So what if your children watch Cinderella, or the little mermaid, I personally believe it is wrong to numb your children of romantic ideas. Cinderella is about love at first sight and what people will do to find that love. How dare you spoil the warm feeling of the movie by saying Cinderella was looking for a meal ticket. That was not the point at all. She did not even go with the intention of seducing the prince, she was a girl who was being oppressed by her stepmother and she just wanted one magical evening of dancing and happiness. Ariel was a girl who was kept in a bubble all her life, she saves a man and falls in love with him, and then she trades her voice for the chance to be close to him. Then he leaps into the ocean to kill the sea witch who has the woman he loves. Both movies are about what they are willing to do for a shot at true love. It might seem a bit corny but the whole idea of love at first sight is magical and that is what Disney is about. And sorry for saying this but, if your children are getting their views of right and wrong from movies, then you must not be doing your job as a parent. I watched a lot of movies when I was younger, but I never looked too them for guidance. I had, and have my mother for that.

Christy September 4, 2008, 10:11 AM

This is completely hilarious! My daughter and I actually really like all of these movies. The movies aren’t meant to be reality … they’re meant to take you away from reality … for 2 hours!! Seriously, Grease takes place in the 1950s … things were a lot different then. Cinderella and The Little Mermaid are cartoons about girls finding their prince charmings … you know, fairy tales. And, Clueless, well I think about that movie and start laughing. It is a spoof!! Meant to be FUNNY, and it is. Alicia Silverstone was hilarious as Cher! If you want to take a look at movies … why not look at all the Disney movies … did you ever notice that most of those little princesses are living in their castles with one parent dead!

Beth September 5, 2008, 9:39 AM

The Little Mermaid is not deaf—she loses her ability to speak which used to be called incorrectly “dumb”—which this list is!!

colleen September 17, 2008, 8:06 AM

this list is ridiculous-they are movies! grease and the disney movies are fun musicals. i think clueless is pg 13 so young girls shouldn’t be watching it anyway!