Brain-Eating Amoeba in Pools?

The CDC warns families to take precautions.

brain_eating_amoeba.jpg

Six young men, age 10 to 22, died last year after swimming in lakes or pools infested with a brain-eating amoeba, the CDC reports.

According to WebMD, all six of the 2007 cases were in Florida, Texas, and Arizona:

May/June 2007: Angel Arroyo Vasquez, age 14, of Orlando, Fla., was swimming in an apartment swimming pool.
July 2007: Will Sellars, age 11, of Orlando, Fla., was swimming and wakeboarding in Lake Conway.
August 2007: Richard Almeida, age 10, of Kissimmee, Fla., was swimming and wakeboarding at Orlando Watersports Complex.
August 2007: John "Jack" Herrera, age 12, participated in water activities during summer camp at Lake LBJ in Texas.
August 2007: Colby Sawyer, age 22, was wakeboarding at Lake LBJ in Texas.
September 2007: Aaron Evans, age 14, was swimming at Lake Havasu in northeastern Arizona.

States where the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri or N. fowleri has caused disease include Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.

What is it?

The disease caused by the brain-eating amoeba is technically called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM. After the amoeba enters the nose, it finds its way to the olfactory nerve, then follows the nerve into the brain. The amoeba secretes enzymes and proteins that dissolve brain cells so it can suck up the debris. Victims usually die seven to 10 days after infection, although symptoms may not appear for up to 14 days.

Initial symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck. Later symptoms include confusion, inability to pay attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures, and hallucinations. Death follows the first symptoms by three to seven days.

What can you do?

The CDC recommends families:
• avoid swimming in warm, fresh water
• wear nose plugs if you do swim in warm, fresh water
• avoid digging or stirring up sediment while playing or working in warm waters
• avoid thermally polluted water, such as the water near power plants

Pediatrician Dr. Gwenn says there are a few additional precautions families should take:

Avoid poorly maintained swimming pools.
"When travelling, make sure the integrity of the pool is top notch in terms of chlorination. Ordinarily, I'm not an alarmist, but since we are in a recession, it is possible people will decide to vacation on the cheap. So, people not familiar with pools in poor shape may suddenly come face to face with one -- complete with amoebas. Beware."

Skip the hot springs.
"People love swimming and exploring places they happen upon -- like hot springs," she continues. "This may not be the best idea given this CDC report."

"We don't want folks to panic, but it's important to be aware of the risks," Dr. Gwenn concludes. "With the rise of 'staycations,' many parents might not even know there is a risk that could be lurking in their own backyards."

For other aquatic tips, check out our pool safety resource.

next: Moms Are Talking About...
wpolscemamymocneseo April 1, 2011, 8:23 AM

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

japanese tractors April 1, 2011, 1:59 PM

We are a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with useful info to paintings on. You’ve performed an impressive activity and our entire group can be grateful to you.

SolarEnergyNow April 1, 2011, 3:30 PM

Your current writing is excellent and provides food for thought. I really hope that I’ll get more time and energy to read your posts. Regards. I hope that you simply publish new texts and invite for you to greet me

computer repair April 1, 2011, 5:36 PM

magnificent put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

reliacard April 1, 2011, 5:54 PM

Hey mate, greetz from Germany !

rankpay review April 1, 2011, 8:16 PM

He ist dieses ein großer Pfosten. Kann ich einen Teil auf ihm auf meinem Aufstellungsort benutzen? Ich würde selbstverständlich mit Ihrem Aufstellungsort verbinden, also konnten Leute den vollen Artikel lesen, wenn sie zu wünschten. Dankt jeder Weise.

Greenenergydude April 1, 2011, 10:26 PM

Your writing is wonderful and provides food for thought. I really hope that I’ll get more time and energy to read your posts. Regards. I wish that you simply publish new texts and invite you to greet me

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 3:56 AM

Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

Custom Pit Bike Graphics April 2, 2011, 8:02 AM

Very hlpful Post! I am so glad I stumbled onto this. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for Posting. I’ll definately visit again! Jason

PRIVATE JET RENTALS April 2, 2011, 8:15 AM

Could you message me with a few pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would be appreciative.

it support April 2, 2011, 9:51 AM

Great post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired! Very helpful info specifically the last phase :) I take care of such information a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a very long. Thanks and good luck.

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 10:47 AM

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Homes For Sale In Brentwood CA April 2, 2011, 2:12 PM

Thanks for the information, I rarely find what I’m looking for… finally an exception!

Mac Rosselli April 2, 2011, 2:34 PM

four; one hundred and

Homesolar April 2, 2011, 6:26 PM

Your current publishing is remarkable and provides food for thought. I really hope that I’ll have more time and energy to go through your blogposts. Regards. I wish that you simply publish new texts and invite for you to greet me

satellite direct reviews April 2, 2011, 11:34 PM

What i do not understood is if truth be told how you’re not really a lot more well-appreciated than you may be now. You’re very intelligent. You recognize thus considerably in relation to this topic, made me individually consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated except it’s something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. Always handle it up!

Charlie Marchuk April 3, 2011, 3:45 PM

(a vector, remember?); thus

pond maintenance Boise April 3, 2011, 8:08 PM

Great website. A lot of helpful information here. I’m sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks in your effort!

Solar Energy for home April 4, 2011, 3:43 AM

Your publishing is good and provides food for thought. I hope that I’ll have more moments to read your posts. Regards. I hope that you publish new texts and invite for you to greet me

credit card debt April 4, 2011, 8:15 AM

Thank you for making the honest effort to talk about this. I feel very robust about it and want to learn more. If it’s OK, as you achieve extra extensive wisdom, may you thoughts including extra articles very similar to this one with additional info? It might be extraordinarily useful and useful for me and my friends.