10 Ways NOT to Lose Your Kids

Summer is here and so are the crowds. Read our tips on keeping track of your kids whether you're on vacation or just swinging by Target.

disneylandsafety.jpgWith the unsolved mystery of Madeleine McCann's disappearance almost at an end--there are talks of closing the case--it's more important than ever, to know the whereabouts of everyone in your clan on family trips.

We checked in with momlogic friend and safety expert Pattie Fitzgerald, founder of safelyeverafter.com who gave us a list of indispensable tips for keeping the whole family accounted for during summer excursions or just an ordinary trip to the mall.

1) Phone home
First and foremost, kids need to know your cell phone number. For young children, there are some great online companies that make adorable, personalized tattoos with your phone number.

2) Fluorescent kids
Dress kids in bright colors so they can be easily spotted in a crowd. Take a picture of them with your cell phone just before you leave the house!

3) Find safe help
If lost, children should ask a "mom with kids" for help. They can also FREEZE AND YELL, by staying in one place and shouting for mom or dad. In a store, kids can go to the CASH REGISTER PERSON, to ask for help.

4) Take giant steps

Use the 2 Giant Steps Rule: Kids can never be more than two giants steps away from you.

5) Stay inside

Remind your child to NEVER go out to the parking lot looking for you if you get separated. Tell them you'd never leave the store or park to wait in the car.

6) Set up a meeting place
With older children, decide upon on a "meet-up location" ahead of time. For example: "If we get separated, we'll meet at... the merry-go-round, lifeguard station #25, right underneath the big 'Target' sign near the entrance."

7) Out of sight--out of your mind
Talk to your kids before the outing. The rule is that you must always be able to SEE them and they must always be able to SEE YOU... simply put, remind them NO WANDERING without mom/dad/caregiver. Sounds simple, but keep reminding them periodically, especially if you think they're getting restless.

8) Learn to count

On family outings, have the kids take turns doing a "kid-count" after each ride, activity, or periodically during a hike or walk. This keeps everyone on their toes throughout the day.

9) Restrooms are not for resting

Always bring young children into the restroom with you. Avoid facilities that are down dark or long hallways. Look for well-lit restrooms in high traffic areas. Older children should use the buddy system; they should not enter a restroom alone.

10) Communicate, communicate, communicate
Teach children the "CHECK FIRST" rule. Kids must always check first with you or the grown-up in charge, before going anywhere in a public place, including another store, play area, the food court, restroom, hiking trail, etc.

next: Top 5 Easy BBQ Tips
Anonymous May 30, 2008, 6:45 PM

When we go to Disney, we all wear these hideous ORANGE Disney shirts I bought online. I figured this is a good way to be spotted in a crowd.

Momof2 May 31, 2008, 9:40 AM

Take masking tape and put your cell phone number (or whoever’s cell phone number that is in your crowd that day) in the childs shoe. Tell the child that if they get lost, go to another Mommy and say “my Moms phone number is in my shoe”. I’ve been doing this (with avery labels) since my kids were 2. I also told my kids they need to hold onto the cart or stroller, but kids can get separated, it does happen.

Anonymous June 4, 2008, 1:22 AM

I take a Sharpie and write on my son’s forearm: “Mom’s cell” and my number.

Huh. June 26, 2008, 12:47 AM

A Disney shirt at Disney World? Wow, I bet you really stand out.

Anonymous July 6, 2008, 2:06 AM

Once lost sight of my kids on the beach at Waikiki. I’ll never forget that feeling. I’m so thankful for cell phones—I swear that’s what will save more children from abductions. I also ask them to close their eyes and describe what we’re all wearing, and we always wear something that stands out.

Anonymous August 24, 2008, 2:34 PM

you are not getting her back

Michelle September 6, 2008, 9:56 PM

I bought these cute little electronic teddy bears that go on either shoes or belts that also have a transmitter. I put them on when going into busy areas. This is the link;

They also have many additional security devices available.

Anonymous October 9, 2008, 8:37 PM

I’m not sure how compelled I’d be to return a kid I found if he had been written on in permanent Sharpie marker. c’mon, write it on the label in their shirt then, or something!

Inexpensive Handbags March 14, 2011, 7:45 PM

All dressed in a new designer handbag for the holidays and beyond the target. The investment by a new leather or monogram bag has become a treasure. How to do your homework and shop online for handbags and designer Inexpensive Handbags discount in e-commerce site of Fame mode. And when in doubt, send an e-mail to the owner of the website for help, advice and support. Many sites offer personal shopping advice, and share a smile to both the gift and the recipient-donor for the purchase of high-end design.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:15 AM

I’m glad, that i found your site, there are a couple of cool articles

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:17 AM

It’s good too read your website again buddy, i see some interesting updates here…