Is Mom's Lawsuit a Croc?

Pediatrician Dr. Gwenn says Crocs should never be worn on escalators.

60.jpg

Mom Alison Pregliasco says Crocs shoes are to blame for serious injuries to her 3-year-old daughter Lexi's foot at an airport last month, when her foot got trapped in an escalator en route to a Disney World vacation.

"There's no reason this should have happened to my daughter," Pregliasco told WLKY. "She was holding onto the rail...I heard her screaming and tried to pull her foot out and it wouldn't come out and the escalator just kept going
down. And, I just started screaming at the top of my lungs, 'Somebody stop this thing, somebody stop this thing. We have to make it stop.'

Pregliasco said it took 15 minutes to get her daughter's right foot out of the escalator after her daughter's Croc got stuck in it. EMTs took the child to the hospital, where doctors put pins in her foot and performed surgery to clean bones and remove contaminated skin."Three broken toes, two pretty severely broken, the other is just a hairline fracture," said Pregliasco. "The toe was severed down to the bone and they called it a 'dirty wound' because they had escalator grease in there."

Alison is now suing the manufacturer of Crocs. The suit, filed last week in federal court, says Crocs should have issued a warning to buyers about the repeated accidents involving kids, Crocs and escalators. Her attorney represents several families whose children have been hurt wearing Crocs. "Every one of those parents said, 'If I had known of this, I never would have let my kid wear those shoes as everyday shoes. He never would have been on an escalator. She never would have worn it anywhere but at the beach and by the pool,'" her attorney Andrew Laskin said. "That is what Crocs has tried to conceal."

Pediatrician Dr. Gwenn says, "The Good Housekeeping Research Institute has warned parents against allowing kids to wear Crocs on escalators. And with good cause. The material of Crocs is so soft, that as early as 2006, multiple national news stations reported stories of children's feet being literally sucked into escalators causing serious injury.  Riding in the center of the escalator helps but, in my opinion, not wearing Crocs on escalators is the only way to ensure true safety."

For more from Dr. Gwenn, click here.

Will you stop your kids from wearing Crocs?

Vince Rio May 4, 2008, 1:14 PM

My kids will continue wearing the beach and caymen crocs shoes. Crocs is the brand name, so by saying they should ban crocs. Is like saying we are going to ban Nike. I have a pair of caymens and my wife got the Crete and kids just got some new caymens. We bought our 3 year old son the Pelican (New style for the spring.. NO HOLES people) Look up the Santa Cruz by crocs, I douubt thoses will get cought in the escalators. The Crocs brand makes some of the most comfortable shoes my family and I have ever tried on. Just because of a few problems does not signal a red flag. Crocs will continue to rock and the new styles will surprise alot.

Kate May 5, 2008, 9:12 AM

Vince Rio, it’s not about the holes. It’s about the soft material that the crocs are made out of.

Anon May 5, 2008, 10:55 AM

Kids that wear heelies in public are irritating. They get in everyone’s way and their stupid parents don’t have enough brains to tell their kids to stop it. I will laugh when I see one of those brats wipe out.

Jane May 6, 2008, 1:54 PM

Vince Rio sounds like a Crocs marketing guy.

Anonymous July 8, 2008, 10:09 AM

Crocs are for fun—they are not durable shoes meant to be worn for a day at the mall, traveling through the airport, etc. They belong at the beach, in the house and the backyard.

I imagine this child was wearing Crocs in the airport for one of two reasons - 1) the mom is clueless about the shoes she puts her kids in or 2) mom isn’t clueless but is powerless over what the kid wants to wear.

Either way - is a lawsuit necessary? The judge should rule to force Croc manufacturers to add dummy-proof warning tags on their products and send the mom home, lesson learned.

Anon July 8, 2008, 12:05 PM

Parents should use better judgement on what type of shoes their kids wear. Anyone can tell by looking at these ugly shoes they are clunky and may cause an accident. Same goes with the wheelies. I’m sure there will be a lawsuit against the maufacturer of them when some stupid kid wipes out and breaks his arm or leg.
Once again parents don’t want to take responsibility of their actions and blame the maufacturer as always.

Elaine July 8, 2008, 2:13 PM

The same could be said about any flip flop. I wear crocs myself, and have found them to be as safe as any sandal.

Anonymouz July 9, 2008, 12:05 PM

In the future, podiatrists are going to make alot of money off these people when they get foot problems down the road.

jan July 11, 2008, 9:19 AM

I agree with most of the above. Parents are clueless about what they put on their kids feet these days. We are also in a sue sue sue world. When something happens we sue!!!!! I see kids out of control endlessly and parents turn a blind eye because they don’t want to have to say no to their children. I agre that croc’s are very comfortable and kids just need to be supervised more. I see kids on escalators endlessly riding down the moving railing doing unsafe things while parents just look the other way. I feel sorry for the lady who’s child’s foot got caught but please sue!!!!! come on.

Nancy July 11, 2008, 6:03 PM

While working at a department store, I have seen similar incidents on the escalator with men wearing rubber boots over there shoes. The rubber boot had been pulled into the esclator, but fortunately they were not seriously injured because of the hard shoe underneath.

Tonya July 12, 2008, 1:07 PM

If you follow proper safe escalator riding, you wouldn’t be standing close to the side for this to happen. The gist of this lawsuit is every company should put warning tags on its products because people are too ignorant to know what to do for themselves. Hopefully, the judge will not honor this lawsuit. Someone needs to put a stop to these frivolous lawsuits.

Mary E. Jackson July 12, 2008, 11:28 PM

The respondents to this article suprise me very much. It is the parents or the consumers fault. I wonder if they would feel the same if it had been their child. Or as they have described in their responses they are too intelligent to have anything like this happen to one of their children.Unfortunately, we as consumers in the US depend on the corporations to be honest and to let consumers know if they have found that multiple children are being injured in the same way, while wearing their product. They need to be as responsible as the parents and stand up and take the “heat” if they deserve it. Why should this company not, at the absolute minimum, reinburse parents for the medical expenses they have incurred.
Lets be real if it was your child you would want a company that has had multiple complaints about similiar accidents in children to take responsibility. Believe me, I would not be against a recall if the company is not trustworthy.
I do let my children wear crocs. But I will never let them wear them on an escalator again.

John H. July 17, 2008, 9:10 AM

Sorry, Mary, but there are risks in life. Should all these soft shoes be banned - along with rubber overshoes, flip-flops, etc.?
Riding on an elevator is inherently risky - should they be banned too?
This is why rules (riding guidelines) are posted on most elevators.
Crocs are not inherently dangerous so the lawsuit is basically frivolous.

That said, I see nothing wrong with Crocs settling by agreeing to include a disclosure with each pair of crocs sold (say on a tag that can be removed after reading) stating there have been such reports, and advising on how to ride escalators while wearing crocs to minimize this already miniscule risk.

John

alfred m. July 19, 2008, 8:44 AM

what a frivolous lawsuit. this is the problem with a country where people expect free handouts and the actual innovators who add something to society are thought of as evil rich people.

John H. July 24, 2008, 11:00 AM

Looks like Crocs took my advice!
LOL
smart move that will head off future frivolous suits.
Good for them.

Glenda Hanson July 26, 2008, 1:51 PM

These shoes need to have warnings on the tags that are VERY LEGIBLE so consumers can read and know the danger, this includes children and adults. It’s not only children that’s being injured. Although, they usually will not be able to tell us they are being tripped by the shoes. Please don’t blame this on the parents. Its the Croc company that has the responsibility to their consumers.

Glenda Hanson July 26, 2008, 2:07 PM

Shame on you John H. Why would anyone LOL when a child gets hurt?

Agnes August 14, 2008, 7:29 PM

Shoes are not the problem on escalators. Escalators are the problem. Old escalators that have a open margin between the moving step and the wall can cause accidents. Shoe laces, pant cuffs, flip flops, clogs, scarfs, you name it. The lawsuit against the shoe mfg.is ridiculous and as sad as it is when anyone is hurt, this sounds like capital GREED.

Agnes August 14, 2008, 7:32 PM

One more point, the picture of the doctor looking at the picture of the dangerous shoes - those shoes are NOT Crocs brand. Looks like Lands End????

Agnes August 14, 2008, 7:46 PM

Sorry, the shoe in the picture could have been the Crocs Bayo which looks like a man’s shoes on Crocs web site. It is off the point anyway. Crocs warns for all I guess that escalator safety requires attention by parents. Money, money, money, money, money - remember the old song Trump still uses it for his TV show.