Back to School: Hoochie Style

Last week, we brought you five things not to buy your tween for back to school. Here are four more.

avril_lavigne_clothes.jpg

Unfortunately for moms, Avril Lavigne has launched a rocker clothing line called "Abbey Dawn" at Kohl's. The 23-year-old wanted to ensure this line was "sexy and flattering" for tweens, but wait a minute: is "sexy" really a key component of our tween girls' wardrobe these days? We certainly hope not!

Avril often wears these pieces on tour. Sure, they might be OK for a twentysomething rock star...but for everyday tweens, the fishnets and schoolgirl skirts are definitely more appropriate on a day like uhhh...Halloween. Seeing tween trends heading in this direction especially concerns new moms. By the time their toddlers face junior high, who can even imagine what they'll be wearing (or what they won't)?

Check out some pieces from Avril's line below:

Tiered Mini Skirt
This skirt measures less than 12 inches in length. Where are the other 12? $28

Jump Suit
At first glance we thought this may be a shirt, but guess what? It's a jumper, meaning shirt and shorts in one. $40.60
School Girl Skirt
This doesn't need an explanation as to why it's inappropriate, right? (Cue "Hit Me Baby One More Time.") $28
Leopard Tank
Since when is it OK to wear tank tops to school? Maybe this would be all right as a pajama top...$21

What do you think: Rocker cool or too cool for school?

Want more fashion and beauty? Click here.

next: Children of Divorce Survey - COPPA
Lesa July 31, 2008, 10:12 AM

People in the fashion industry and people getting into the fashion industry need to stop associating the word SEXY with tweens AND teens.

The only acceptable thing I see here for a tween or teen is the tank and only worn as an UNDER garment to a V-neck and Scoop necks that are too low cut. No, not acceptable for school as a stand alone tank. Maybe layered with another tank for the pool or beach but still not for school.

Girls can wear standard sleeveless shirts to school now but it can’t be strappy, it has to be at least 3” wide on each shoulder (IOW no tanks).

Shorts and skirts have to be no more than 5 inches from the top of the knee not 5 inches from the bottom of the cooch. These skirts and jumpers won’t fly. There is no way I would purchase those for my tweens or my teen. Not even with leggings. It has that dirty schoolgirl look to it.

Do you really want your daughters schlepping around barely dressed in attire like this with people around that already have their minds in the gutter? Me? Not a chance.

Kristen F July 31, 2008, 11:06 AM

What schools do the tweens wear these things to? In my high school (graduated in 2001), we had to wear shorts to the knee and shirts that were sleeveless had to be 2 inches wide at the straps. Before the days of the cute bermuda type shorts, we just didn’t ever wear shorts to school. Things are still the same there now as I know high schoolers and what they can and can’t wear. So, again, who are they designing this stuff for if they can’t wear it to school?

Channah July 31, 2008, 11:38 AM

When does Avril’s line for ‘mothers who pimp their daughters out’ hit shelves?

Seriously, I wouldn’t let my daughter be seen in these outfits.

Anonymous July 31, 2008, 12:41 PM

I can’t believe that designers actually think these are cute.

Anonymous July 31, 2008, 1:12 PM

I think the jump suit is cute with leggings and maybe 3/4 jacket.

Mini-skirts are tired. It’s overused, overexposed and abused. It’s so 1990’s.

I think tank is fine! Long as it is layered or worn with a jacket or cardigan.

Anonymous July 31, 2008, 1:19 PM

You parents, don’t flip out. Get creative with those items. Layer it, cover it, and accessorize it.

That mini jump is adorable with leggings and 3/4 jacket along with those rounded flats is fine.

Those tiered or school girl mini-skirts is boring. Old. Britney wore it before for her concerts. It’s so clueless (movie). It is outdated. Leave it to Avril, yuck.

Tank top is fine. The one pictured above is fine, really. It is wide enough on the shoulder straps. Layer it over with the wider strap tank. T-shirt under it, layer it with jacket or cardigan. Simple. BE CREATIVE long as it doesn’t offend school dress code.

I personally think jump suit is adorable.

Suzanne July 31, 2008, 3:30 PM

What scares me is if this is what tweens and teens are wearing now, what will my four year old be asking me for in a couple of years?

jackie July 31, 2008, 11:27 PM

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. AVRIL should stick with her day job and hire a stylist. seriously

Florencia. August 1, 2008, 8:02 AM

I´m 21 years old and I could wear it… but for photography sessions. I have better clothes and more cheap, haha.
Bye.

chey22 August 3, 2008, 8:02 PM

Being younger, sometimes I can relate to the newer fashion of today. But lately it really has been getting out of hand, even for me. I would never put my child into clothes like that or even allow her to buy them herself.

Girls today need to be taught at a young age that it’s not clothes, makeup and jewelry that makes us beautiful its the person we are.

Kelsey August 4, 2008, 10:00 PM

i think the outfits are fine as long as you layer them. I mean seriously people, you guys dont realize that what was stylish when you were a teen and what is stylish now is COMPLETLY DIFFERENT. Although i must agree the pink tank top is completly ugly. and the jumpsuit. but everything else is fine. You should let your children enjoy shopping and let them wear what they want, but if people at school make fun of them then your children will know to make better choices next time. The only rule that I would go with on the skirts is that if you put your hands on your sides when your relaxed and the middle finger is longer than the skirt, then the skirt is too short. But then you buy a bigger size. honestly it isnt a big deal!

Gilleis August 6, 2008, 2:19 PM

If my 10 year old wanted anything from this line I think I’d have a stroke right there in the store. Thank GOD she is so far a very modest girl and likes clothes that cover her. She has a keen fashion sense too, but fashionable and naked are not necessarily the same thing!

Charlene August 13, 2008, 2:59 PM

who says we shouldn’t be allowed to wear tanktops to school? as long as the neckline isn’t too low and the straps are too thin, it should be fine. especially during the summer or spring

Sunny August 14, 2008, 4:44 PM

I was offended with a recent JcPenny mailer that had an outfit that was not appropriat for the tween on the cover. Why are we allowing these people to be role modles for our kids!! Kids need to be dressed cute, nice, comfortable, fun, not SEXY!!! Your just oppening the door for trouble. You may get creative with them at home, but when they get to school, you child may have other ideas. Be alert parents, its your money, you should approve it before it comes in your house!!

Anonymous March 12, 2010, 11:01 PM

You people are crazy.

Anonymous August 1, 2010, 6:42 PM

i think that they are cute and awesome!

Nika March 27, 2011, 9:57 AM

Of course, too much skin is too much.
Just for all of you to know, your kids know it! These clothes might no suite a 10-year-old, but they are just fine for kids 15+

and you mothers out there, I bet you haven’t noticed that Avril is way better role model than, for example Britney etc who spread a message that if you get a rich man, lose some weight and go to different operations to look better, your dreams come true?
sick.

I’m glad I’ve always had good self-esteem, but you should protect kids who don’t..
Avril teaches you to be yourself, to be honest and love yourself the way you are. She doesn’t encourage using drugs or partying all night long.
In one song she speaks against premarital sex and so on.
Finally a responsible, yet funny, role model who sets a good example.

Calm down, folks
I hope Avril will keep up the good work!

17-year-old girl who loves abbey dawn