Britney's Smoking with the Kids

A disturbing yet not all that shocking Britney sighting.

britney_kids_smoking270.jpg

A new photo has surfaced of mom Britney Spears lighting up in front of her son--he's even grabbing her smokes! What effect does this have on her kids?

We asked momlogic's resident pediatrician, Dr. Cara Natterson, for her perspective...

"When it comes to smoking in front of children, there are health effects to consider and then there are issues of role modeling. Secondhand smoke is known to increase a child's risk of asthma. This is no small deal--asthma can require regular use of breathing medications and, in some cases, it can be so severe that a child needs to go to the hospital.

But apart from the effects on the lungs, there are the effects on the brain. When a child watches an adult smoke, he learns that the behavior is acceptable. When preteens and teens watch their parents smoke, it is very difficult for those same parents to turn around and instruct their children not to do the same. Ideally, parents will be inspired by their children to stop smoking. But if they cannot quit, they should at least make every effort to do it out of the sight of their children."

What do you think of Britney smoking in front of the kids?

Phallena July 22, 2008, 4:21 PM

I’m tired of seeing her…we get it—she’s a train wreck! I feel sorry only for her sons because they didn’t ask to be here.

She needs to get it together.

Anonymous July 22, 2008, 4:36 PM

I DO strongly agree that a child should never see their parents engage in habits of the sort. Me being a closet smoker, I keep the filthy habit far away from my son. I have tried many times to quit, and will quit again. I constantly see parents whom cannot stop their habits for 2 seconds to care for their children whether it be pool side, in a car, or even in the home. In my opinion, if you cannot control your habits for the sake of the well being and health of your own children, and the psychological impact it will have on them to boot, you should not be caring for another human life.

Adam July 22, 2008, 4:40 PM

oooo oh no, call social services…Britney is smoking in her childs presence, we better put it on the front page! Get a life people. there are thousands of people who do worse things TO their children and they only merit a small column before the sports page. Leave the poor girl and her kids alone. How can she fix anything, if no one cuts her any slack whatsoever. I don’t smoke, but if I had been through half the crap the media puts her through they’d more than likely find me with two in each hand.

Sandra July 22, 2008, 5:10 PM

The funny thing about the photo that you negleted to mention was that she was outside smoking when Sean sneaked up on her and tried to grab the cigarretes. She then reacted fast and grabbed them from him.

Funny how you conveniently forget the other photos.

retired teacher July 22, 2008, 5:14 PM

Leave her alone….she’s messed up. We get it already.

foxymama July 22, 2008, 5:37 PM

at least she’s taking them away from him and not lighting one up!

Barbara July 22, 2008, 8:41 PM

I would love to know, is this her home or is it at a hotel? Where was this intrusive photo of this poor woman taken? I think its time that these scumbag tabloid photographers answer for these things. We love you Britney and we know you are working hard.

stephanie July 22, 2008, 8:43 PM

ohh no i guess kevin better hurry up and take her to court now! this is soo stupid.

Bonnie Alcore July 22, 2008, 8:45 PM

I think Britney is a human that has made mistakes in the past that is doing a great job today. I have seen the great work she has done and I thing the magazines that follow her every move should be ashamed of them selves. I think Britney loves her babies and would do anything for them. To heck with the rest of them.

Bobbi in Ohio, Mom of 2 July 23, 2008, 7:12 AM

My opinion is she is a strong YOUNG woman that has had the common struggle as most honest women have after having children AND getting married or have we all forgotten it changes a women and then add all the STRESS of all the people straight up in HER business!!! I love to see her and hear about her but not in this way! Brittany my family loves you and I will let my daughter know all about your struggles as a performer, keep looking foward, NOT BACK!! - Lets all stop being critical focus on the real problems!!!

cee cee July 23, 2008, 7:29 AM

wowww leave her alone please its people smokin crack in front of their kids and yall makin as big deal of this

Anonymous July 23, 2008, 7:29 AM

get a life people. So what there is more of you people out there doing far worse things then have a smoke.

Barb in TN July 23, 2008, 8:58 AM

So she is being picked on for smoking in front of her kids when there is moms and dads out there beating up babies cause they won’t quit crying, eatin up thier kids (molesting/rapeing) and all kinds of stuff. why can’t someone be complaining about that instead of Britney smoking in front of her kids. Why aren’t the people that took this picture of Britney out chasing down the real threats to kids. Hey at least she wasn’t inside her house/hotel room smoking and making them breathing it in. I know smoking around kids is bad but dang she could be doing worse. I know celebs have no privacy at all but dang give her a break she’s off of drugs and she’s trying to be a better mom otherwise she wouldn’t have gotten her kids back. COME ON!

Married a Country Boy July 23, 2008, 10:11 AM

Oh leave this girl alone…I can’t imagine where she is that they can be allowed to photograph up so closely all the time. Isn’t private property, “private”!
I am a non-smoker, but back in the 60’s-70’s everyone smoked around everyone, their children included. Luckily, with medical education and some laws about where people could smoke alot of this has stopped, but to think that Britney Spears is the only one smoking around her child in 2008, is absurb! I have an in-law that smoked during her pregnancy, and around her child until finally her child asked her “Mommy are you going to kill us from the smoking?” and she has never smoked again. But her sister was smoking at the beginning of her pregnancy, and I don’t know if she finally stopped or not after so many people were giving her a hard time about it. These girls come from the same region of the country as Britney,and also a small town. It’s almost a certain mentality, and what they saw growing up that I find the only explanantion to it, because there is alot of things my in-laws do, I do not “get”, and my soon to be ex-husband included, and I always have to rack it up to the small town mentality…and it was good enough back then it’s okay…my husband took my 23 month son riding through the country sitting on the console of the a truck…yep no car seat…just cause they were out just riding around on this man’s property not on any main roads…just like Britney when she had her son in her lap driving that time…it makes no sense to us that have “evolved”, in life, I’ve been dealing with this for 10 years, and I never have nor will I ever get it. So bless her heart, I feel she’s going to keep doing things we the public that learns from the past, not live in it, and uses common sense, are going to think she’s a train wreck, when actually she’s part of a very large group of people doing very similiar “dumb” things, and worse, they just aren’t being followed around by the media 24hrs. a day. Believe me I have witnessed them and been subjected to their actions many times. So instead of chastising her all the time, send her advice instead. Sure it didn’t always work with my in-laws, but I felt alot better trying to help them better themselves than puttting them down over things, hoping maybe something I would say, or do would make something click in their heads one day. There have been improvements…now my husband, he disguises his by being an officer in the military, but in real life…it’s small rural area that he grew up in, in the 70’s-80’s (yea he had a mullet!) mentality all the way. Scary! Britney has just ended up being the poster child for it.

Heather July 23, 2008, 11:38 AM

The only thing I can say to this is that at least she isn’t handing him one to smoke some parents would do that and also she isn’t beating them like some parents would so why don’t the media just put those kinds of parents that hurt there kids in the spot light and leave people like Britney only who do take of there kids.

sblondon July 23, 2008, 12:15 PM

Oh ,I totally agree with Adam and Sandra. Leave the poor girl alone for gods sake. These celebrities can’t do anything without being watched. I think I’d loose it too. We do not know the whole story. We are always jumping the gun on these guys!!Maybe she was stopping her son from taking the smokes like Sandra said.Who cares really though!! Just let her be!!!

Tracy Stebleton July 23, 2008, 1:19 PM

If this was just some random person off the street noone would even notice or care-so why do we hold celebritys in such high regard almost like they are GOD. We as americans need to get our priorities straight and we all have faults!! Lets take a closer look at what we could improve on and not focus on everybody else please.

Amber July 23, 2008, 1:52 PM

My husband somes but he never smokes in front of our son or me(i being pregnant) Just only when he is at work and has cut back to just 3 a day because he can’t quite kick it. But he quite smoking in front of our son(stepson to me) when he came to live with us because he always came back from his bio-mom smelling of smoke. Well he developed asthma from her smoking before and after giving birth to him and she is 7 months pregnant and still smoking. So this is why parents who can’t make good decides on there smoking should not have the responsibilty of children so young.

Renee July 23, 2008, 9:45 PM

This girl needs to be left alone. I am sick of hearing her name every time she as much as sneezes. The world would be a much better place if people would worry more about themselves instead of others. She could be doing much worse then smoking. If she wasn’t popular we wouldn’t know what she was up to. I personally don’t care about her life. I do wish everyone that makes a big deal about her would get a life of their own.

charles July 23, 2008, 9:57 PM

Leave her alone go get a life