Tourette Syndrome Teens Unite

The National Institutes of Health estimates that one in 1,000 American children suffers from the disorder.

On this week's Primetime: Family Secrets, they highlighted a summer camp for teens with Tourette syndrome, a lifelong neurobiological disorder characterized by involuntary vocal and motor symptoms called "tics."

The footage of the camp, known as "Camp Tic-a-Palooza," was beyond compelling.

videogonebutton.jpg

This camp is one of many around the country that focuses on kids with special needs. There are asthma camps, autism camps, and even food allergy camps. Moms say that when their children are around other kids like them in a nonjudgmental environment, they feel less alone.

Do you think special needs camps are a good idea?

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Theresa July 17, 2008, 12:03 PM

BRILLIANT idea! Kids can see that they are NOT alone in their disabilities.

foxymama July 17, 2008, 4:27 PM

The special was hard to watch, but so compelling. My heart goes out to these kids. They have had hard lives filled with physical and emotional pain. I pray for a cure.

Judy July 19, 2008, 12:23 AM

Wow, this camp is wonderful. I’m a licensed therapist & never knew these camps existed. I work with people with mental health problems & will start looking on line for more help for them. thanks so much.

Mark G. August 14, 2008, 9:52 AM

I think special needs camp are a great idea. I attended a special needs camp as a child & had a wonderful experience…I was taught how to swim by a very patient staff…I was afraid of the water up til then.

doreen May 22, 2009, 11:57 PM

It is amazing to watch these youngsters struggle with such a hard disease but to know that they are strong and able to move forward with life is wonderful. I was quite upset to see a MOTHER say she was embarassed of her childs tics. I wanted nothing more then to find the young girl and take her home and let her know that a mother loves you- and is never embarassed. The MOTHER should be ashamed of herself. I think special camps are wonderful. They allow these youngsters to see that other people deal with similiar problems and it is ok. They aren’t freaks.. they are unique individuals. Thank you ABC for such a moving special.

cheapviagra4950 August 30, 2010, 8:06 AM
Pharmf18 May 13, 2011, 10:44 PM

Hello! kecebkc interesting kecebkc site!