Cops Rescue Baby -- Or Not

These dolls are so life-like, police tried to save one.

rebornrescue.jpg

Concerned that a baby was lying unconscious in a car, police smashed the window open only to find one of those creepy "reborn dolls" instead of an actual infant in peril. The dolls, meticulously crafted by women with a desperate need to "play house," can cost thousands of dollars and come with everything from motorized heart beats to fake keepsake umbilical cords.

Vynette Cernik, (shown holding her doll) was apologetic about the incident: "People do have to be careful when they go out with them," Cernick said. "I tell them to hold them properly, not dangle them by one leg or something, because other people do think they are real babies and become alarmed." Some concerned Aussie citizens have suggested the owners of reborns put signs on the dolls saying they are fake. Something tells us the women who are obsessed--some might say addicted--to making dolls look real wouldn't be into that idea.

Click on an image to view the Fake Babies Gallery!

next: Celeb-Bitty Fashion: Foo-Fighter Baby
T BEAR July 18, 2008, 9:18 AM

I think anyone stupid enough to leave a doll this life like in a car get what they deserve if the police smash a window. They should also be fined for starting a panic or something!!

pat  July 18, 2008, 9:20 AM

“POST MENOPAUSAL WOMEN WITH A NEED TO PLAY HOUSE??” HOW INSECURE, IMMATURE AND LACKING IN INTELLIGENCE AND SELF ESTEEM TO SAY SUCH A THING. PATHETIC !!!!

Alan July 18, 2008, 9:35 AM

CREEPY

billy bob July 18, 2008, 9:37 AM

I had a doll like this for a project in high school. These dolls detech Negligence and many other situations. It creepy how real tehy appear to be. Since these dolls are designed this way one shouldn’t leave it laying around like its a cabage patch doll. The cop may have over reacted, there are many other ways to adress this situation but he was in the right. the person owning the doll should be fined cause im sure during the officers resue a 100 different crimes were taking place

Henry July 18, 2008, 9:47 AM

These women need some psychiatric help. anyone leaving this doll in a car in that manner should be treated the same as someone who calls 911 “for fun” or as a joke. what’s next? having pedophiles order these?

Carrie Avery July 18, 2008, 10:00 AM

I say “better safe than sorry”…if it looks like a baby left locked in a car…(and God knows it happens, though I cannnot imagine “forgetting” I have a child in tow…)a broken car window is the least of these women’s worries,they should be grateful for the diligence of their police. I have nonthing but praise for the police officers involved here. Good work! And keep it up! If it saves just one child out of a hundred…its worth it.

Anonymous July 18, 2008, 10:02 AM

yep

Anonymous July 18, 2008, 10:26 AM

Just so typical, to bad mouth something you might not be in to. And soooo immature. Do you collect baseball cards John Wilson?

Tabetha July 18, 2008, 10:30 AM

The fake babies created for high school students were there to teach them exactly what being a mom and/or dad was about. It was a scare tactic to reduce teen pregnancy - a good idea. This however, is just another way for someone to make money off of other peoples lonliness and insecurities. With the country in a depression, who has the money to spend thousands of dollars on fake babies?! Send it to me to pay for my gas if you have it to waste!

stella July 18, 2008, 10:31 AM

I think this may be a good form of therapy for women with out children or women who has lost a child. I now everytime i look at a baby i smile and smiling is good for the heart.

JJB July 18, 2008, 10:33 AM

I personally believe that this was not an intentional mistake on behalf of the women who left them in cars. If this was an intentional act meant to scare police then then these women should feel ashamed, if not, what is the harm. It is a little weird in my opinion for a grown woman to be toting around a fake baby in an effort to recapture her mothering years, but hey, who knows, I might end up doing it too!
As for the police, they did a very good job attempting to rescue these ‘babies’, and their city should be proud that thier child would have been rescued had that been the case.

KEI July 18, 2008, 11:00 AM

I don’t think that there is anything wrong with people who like to collect dolls. Maybe its a hobbie. If you say something that looked that real, wouldn’t it intrige you? Even if they did leave the look alikes in the car, I feels its okay because why would they carry it everywhere they go? People leave stuff in the car everyday, balls, hats, shoes, babydolls, it could be anything. The only way they should get in trouble is if the baby was real, but it wasn’t. I don’t think that they were thinking they have to take the baby in the building with them or feed the the baby or have a baby sitter. It’s just a collectable hobbie.

Bryce Mirtle July 18, 2008, 11:02 AM

These poor women need to get a life…

christine July 18, 2008, 11:02 AM

JJB ,you are wrong. Grown woman Do NOT tote around a fake baby to “recapture their mothering years”, Like most reborn doll ARTISTS, I tote one around in publiconce in a great while, in order to sell the doll,and get exposure,not because I’m crazy. OR to show someone I know ,and i might need to take it in the car and drive to that persons house,or place of business. If someone does this for any other reason,it is very UNCOMMON.

Lindy Friedman July 18, 2008, 11:03 AM

I use reborn dolls to teach
cpr. They are lifelike and make
people aware of what to do in case of
an emergency. They are wonderful
learning tools.
Other people collect them as others
collect stamps, baseball cards, and
any other memorabilia or collectible.
How quick everyone is to pass judgment
on someone else. Sad.

Wes July 18, 2008, 11:07 AM

Yes I think a fine is in order for the “parent” of this doll, and a commendation for this Officer who without thinking twice acted to save a life. If the owners of the car decide to sue the police department over the broken glass ,then the Police officer should in turn sue over mental anguish. Can you sue someone for being stupid and sick.

TheDuck July 18, 2008, 11:08 AM

I really hope people do not think these are good therapy for someone who has lost a child. It is the last thing they need in their lives. They really need is support and help using a doll to fill in for a greiving persons loss isnt healthy at all. It doesnt allow them to fully embrace and deal with the loss they get caught up in a fantasy and wont ever let go as they need to do. So wake up

Mike July 18, 2008, 11:12 AM

Christine is missing what this woman said, “When you go out with them.” That sure sounds something like Mothering to me. When you have to depend on something like this woman has and is, there is somthing different going on. Oh, MOMMA.

Mary  July 18, 2008, 11:13 AM

These delightful little dolls are absolutely wonderful. It takes hours and hours of painstaking skill to create a truly lifelike “baby”. They put a smile on your face and bring back sweet memories. They are truly a work of art and as such deserve respect.

Let’s not be too quick to judge something unique and “different” that you obviously haven’t seen or learned to appreciate as others have. What qualifies you to be a critical judge?

I can’t help but wonder about how observant the police were before they decided to act. Wouldn’t a baby that suffered from heatstroke be very very red? Perhaps it would have very wet cheeks from crying?

It probably wasn’t a good thing to leave a plastic doll in a very hot car in the first place. So both parties learned a lesson, no harm done.

Trish July 18, 2008, 11:15 AM

I understand the grieving process and how some may feel that “reborn babies” will help a mother cope with her loss of a child. I’m all for that. However, with all the crap that goes on in today’s society, I believe this should be a private thing. It is being taken too far when a police officer has to rescue one of these fake babies from a situation such as this, one where real babies die all too often. I watched a program a couple of weekds ago, where a woman who’e children grew up and moved away became very lonely. She bought a monkey from the jungle..She didn’t care about the stress put on the monkey from being drugged and literally ripped away from it’s mother. She only cared about her feelings. This is wrong too. Back to the reborn babies, these mothers who are grieving need to consider the feelings of others too. What about the cop who might have been fearing that he didn’t spot this baby in time? That, in my opinion, is cruel. It might have been a mistake, but it was a cruel one for the ones who had to witness it and to protect. I would have to agree with Henry above. I think these woman would benefit more from psychiatric help than from trying to replace their loss with a fake baby. As far as the pedophiles go, it is sick to have to think that soon, the doll making industry will probably begin making dolls to resemble children as well as infants. I don’t thank you for that thought Henry.