Cops Rescue Baby -- Or Not

These dolls are so life-like, police tried to save one.

rebornrescue.jpg

Concerned that a baby was lying unconscious in a car, police smashed the window open only to find one of those creepy "reborn dolls" instead of an actual infant in peril. The dolls, meticulously crafted by women with a desperate need to "play house," can cost thousands of dollars and come with everything from motorized heart beats to fake keepsake umbilical cords.

Vynette Cernik, (shown holding her doll) was apologetic about the incident: "People do have to be careful when they go out with them," Cernick said. "I tell them to hold them properly, not dangle them by one leg or something, because other people do think they are real babies and become alarmed." Some concerned Aussie citizens have suggested the owners of reborns put signs on the dolls saying they are fake. Something tells us the women who are obsessed--some might say addicted--to making dolls look real wouldn't be into that idea.

Click on an image to view the Fake Babies Gallery!

next: Celeb-Bitty Fashion: Foo-Fighter Baby
B July 18, 2008, 3:15 PM

How sick! Please don’t tell me there are post menopausal women out there playing with dolls as if they were their children!

Erin July 18, 2008, 3:21 PM

This is incredibly disturbing. These women need to seek counseling. These babies are NOT healthy alternatives to address whatever biological issues these may be having.

Catherine July 18, 2008, 3:38 PM

Can you tell me when the black ones will be ready?

Rene' July 18, 2008, 3:54 PM

My daughter used her life-like dolls when she volunteered at a local nursing home. Residents truly enjoyed her visits and my daughter enjoyed sharing her time and treasured dolls. We were careful to cover them up if they were left in our car, though.

Yvonne Rahming July 18, 2008, 4:38 PM

There are so many terrible things happening in the world today Especilly with little inocent children.( Michael Jackson’s Song) There’s a place in your heart and I know that it is love and this placecould be much brighter than Tomorrow. Heal the world makeit a better place for you and for me and the entire human race there are people dying If you care enough for the living make a better place for you and for me.So many children in our hometown need to be loved someone to look out for them and care to guide them and to protect them clothe and feed them to care for them .It is so sad to see that woman the time she take to make a doll she should use her knowledge to reach out to one little boy or girl who need someone to care for them .If each one would reach one the the world would be a much Better Place. (Peace And Love.)

Marthe July 18, 2008, 5:05 PM

I understand that we sometime use dolls to teache our young adults,to learn how to take good care of children once they are ready to be parents ;
or to comfort ourselves from loosing a baby we did love or still love after they are gone . But let be realistic ,what ever we do , we really need to think about what will follow next meaning ; one, think about the police who put so much time ,to make sure that we all and our kids are safe no matter what time of the day ,two if you are going to leave a baby doll in your car , think about if it was a really baby would you have done it ; they are so many people in this world who love kids and will do ,no matter what it takes to save anybody. So please make sure if you are going in public with a baby doll , don’t leave it in the care to give heat attack to those once that really care .
The police have a lot to do please ; we really need to try our best to help them .
I love kids and I will do anything , I mean anything in this world to save a child and to say that , it was not funny to me .Thank you and sorry if you had lost a baby in your life .

Yvonne Rahming July 18, 2008, 5:06 PM

You know there are so many terrible things happening in the world today especially with our little children . There are thousands of children suffering in the world today that needs tender loving care .(Michael Jackson’s Song)there’s a place in your heart and I know that it is Love and this place could be much brighter than tomorrow and if you realy try you’ll find there’s no need to cry . heal the world make it a better place for you and for me and the entire human race there are people dying if you care enough for the living make it a better place for you and for me .so many children need the tender loving care someone to love them to clothe ,feed and to guide and protect them to shealter them . If the woman who make the dolls save the time and energy to just reach out to a child and if each one could reach one then the world would be a much Better place. Peace And Love .

Anonymous July 18, 2008, 5:56 PM

this again how crazy people. these dolls are creepy just like the people that buy them.

yvonne rahming July 18, 2008, 8:12 PM

woman who ever your are I just hope you do not be the bride of Chucky .doing stupidness .why don’t you spend the money on the poor hungry starving children.

Jane July 18, 2008, 9:11 PM

I love making porcelain dolls. They also look very lifelike. Doll makers and collectors need to be considerate of others by putting a note “Doll” on the doll if leaving it strapped in a car seat or seat belt. Lots of childern have died from the heat and it is no laughing matter.

KIANNA July 21, 2008, 2:01 AM

CREEPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Msmablack July 21, 2008, 5:57 AM

Please understand that when anyone see’s a child in a car with the windows up,they are going to react quickley,they dont have time to examine the child to see if’s it’s real or not,just think,if it was real and you were just standing there saying hmm no tears no red face hmmm do i know how long that child has been in there for all the cops know the mother just left a few minutes ago does anyone know how long it takes for a childs face to turn red,or how long you will have to wait to see tears come on now people,break the darn window,
2nd of all yes i belive in collecting dolls,and yes i would have the right to leave them in my car but were talking 1 doll not 3 or 4 dolls,so i as an concerned human would have done the same thing broke the window to make sure,you all have to understand when you make something that really looks human,you take a great chance of this happeing,cause if you just looked with out really knowing and said oh just and doll and later read in the paper child died from heat,you should fill really really bad for not makeing sure,guess this will be another law goverment will have to deceided on.and for you to walk around with and doll cause you lost and child to me,raises concerns,cause if you are mentally unstable i fill it will make you might want to go take an real one,dont get me wrong here,all women who lose and child wont to this ,but that 1 percent is not worth the risk.with so much going on with women cutting other womens stomach to get there child so they can have it raises my eyebrow to this idea,gives us all something to think about,remember what works for one will not work for all

Alexia July 21, 2008, 1:09 PM

Those babies are super cute….too bad they cost so much because they would be great for little girls! I would have loved to have a baby doll like that when I was little.

RaRa July 21, 2008, 1:52 PM

NOT A REAL BABY. DON’T YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO THAN TO SEND PHOTOS LIKE THESE OUT. THIS IS NOT ENTERTAINMENT!!!

cattwmn July 21, 2008, 2:39 PM

My previous comment didn’t seem to post.
Doll collecting is a hobby. Using a doll as a bandaid for losing a child is NOT emotionally healthy. I totally understand how grieving mothers need some contact with babies. Volunteer at the hospital in the children’s ward. Read to children. Rock the babies that are being given up for adoption. Many larger cities have rehab centers for drug addicted babies. Those are babies desperately in need of a caring pair of arms with time to rock them. Put the grief to work. It is so much more rewarding AND emotionally more healthy than a ‘dead baby look alike’. Honey, you don’t need a ‘dead baby’ to remind you.

BJ July 21, 2008, 5:40 PM

I’ll take number 9. All of them are really beautiful. I love the way #9 has her feet in the air. Reminds me of my great grandchild 17 months ago.

Brenda July 22, 2008, 11:45 AM

I live in Cincinnati, and at the beginning of last school year we had a principal actually leave her child in her vehicle all day, even though she went out to it a couple of times, she claims she “forgot” her baby was in the car. As a mother, I know I couldnt forget my child anywhere. I think it was a good thing that the cop did what he did, and I agree that she should have been fined, and maybe made to take classes on childcare. I know this wasnt real, but if she is going to have a baby doll that is just like a real baby, maybe she should learn how to take care of it properly

Jen July 26, 2008, 5:15 PM

I had no idea that women were carrying these fake babies around. If it’s someone collecting them, then fine. But I would think if its a collectable item, wouldn’t it be safe at home somewhere it won’t get damaged. Yeah I think it’s awesome that someone can make something look so lifelike, that’s real talent, but with every talent comes responsibility. These fakes babies, I thought, were orginally created for high school students to learn parenting skills, or even to teach adults parenting skills in adult parenting classes. These are great learning tools, but even with that said, they could NEVER truly prepare anyone for REAL parenthood. If there really are women, or even men, out there who feel they “need” one of these fake babies to fill in their loniless from empty nest syndrome or a loss of a child’s life, then yes they do need a different form of therapy. This would only enable the issue, not really resolve it. The police officer did what he was trained to do, I would have done the same thing if I had seen it. I might not have smashed in the window, but the cops would be the first to get a phone call, if then THEY told me to go ahead and smash the window, I would have done so. I don’t see anything wrong with these fake babies, people just need to be aware of how they handle them in public.

Ku July 27, 2008, 12:19 AM

My grandmother has always collected porcelain and life-like dolls. She even got me into it when I was a little girl. I didn’t like the ones she would pick out for me though, lol.

When I was around 12 years old, my cousins and I were having a sleep over. In my curio that night, I could have sworn I saw the eyes move. I was forever freaked out by those types of dolls.

Now that I am a mother, when I saw this doll I immediately thought of my own son. I was delighted with how real they are, true craftsmanship I must say. But it also made me so sad… and so hurt inside. I cannot explain why but there is almost a sense of weary unhappiness around dolls so life-like.

I could understand someone having one to represent each of their own children grown up. Or even some very old lonely woman who never had ones of their own.

However, in my opinion I’d much rather spend time with real children / babies to relive my memories then have something that in my eyes seems just so heartbreaking.

It will never smile, never coo and never cuddle with you. Ever. It almost makes me want to cry just looking at them.

They are so empty and remind me more of a baby that has passed on then a real one personally. I don’t think I could ever own something like th

jemms August 1, 2008, 5:42 PM

i am not going to coddle here or comment something stupid and p.c., but this woman needs help(imagine!) and you do not as grown woman have this around. get a grip. really? does need any further comments?