Mom Saves for Teen's Boob Job

She's spent 30 grand on her daughter's beauty treatments, tanning beds, and pole-dancing lessons -- and she's proud of it.

AshleyandEmma.jpg
Ashley Hughes works overtime to make sure her 15-year-old daughter Emma's needs are met, working five different cleaning jobs to help Emma achieve her dreams of becoming a model and a "star."

Ashley has already spent $30,000 on Emma's salon treatments and is setting money aside for a breast enlargement surgery for Emma's 18th birthday. She's allowed her daughter to get salon highlights since she was 10, even though she had to sign a waiver because Emma was so young. Beauty treatments like these are costly, but that doesn't stop mom from working to raise extra money for $15,000 tooth veneers to brighten Emma's smile. She also pays for weekly pole-dancing lessons. (Yes, pole-dancing lessons.)

How on earth did this happen?

Emma says her obsession with her looks began at 8 years old when she would gaze at magazine ads and tell her mother she wanted to be blonde to "look like a Barbie doll."  When she was 13, Emma began to idolize British model Jordan. "Jordan's my idol,' Emma says. "I'm already planning a boob job so they look more like Jordan's, despite the fact that I'm already a 34F."

Jordan (of E!'s Katie + Peter fame) is notorious for her plastic surgery (most notably her breast enhancement to size 30G). However, she now says she regrets her surgery and has even gotten a breast reduction -- but that doesn't deter Emma's goal. She's determined to maintain her extreme beauty regime, and hopes to sign with a modeling agency next year.

Jordan.jpg

"Now I hold down as many jobs as I can to ensure she'll have all the beauty treatments and cosmetic surgery she needs to achieve her dream," Ashley says.

When her then 13-year-old daughter wasn't old enough to visit tanning salons, Ashley rented a home tanning bed for Emma to bake in daily, to keep her glowing year round. Two years later, Ashley still tans daily. "I usually tan for ten minutes in the morning and the same after school," Emma says. "I'm not worried about the health warnings. I feel great having a tan. I try to remember to use sunscreen but I tan faster without."

Emma's mother isn't the least bit worried about the health risks, either. "I'm not worried about this tanorexia nonsense, or skin cancer from sun beds," she insists. "It hasn't affected her health. It's making her confident and beautiful. All the treatments will give her the edge. They're going to help her be a star."

Is Emma's mother supporting her dream -- or screwing her up?

"When parents instill superficial values in their children, often times they are trying to compensate for their own feelings of inadequacy," says Jane Greer, Ph.D., a family therapist in New York City. "They may feel if their child is beautiful, it is a direct reflection on them."

"Every teen feels pressure to be pretty and popular, but when a mother validates that pressure, the child won't have a fighting chance to form confidence and individuality," she says.

Emma.jpg

Would you ever allow -- and pay for -- your teen to have extreme beauty treatments?

next: Miley's Mean Girl Video
SHAMEFUL PARENTING July 25, 2008, 7:10 PM

This mother is ridiculous! Why doesn’t she invest her daughter’s best asset: her MIND.

Seriously lady…come to Hollywood one of these days, ok? Pretty girls with or without the surgery are a commodity…and your daughter will just blend in with all the other wannabe hopefuls.

POLE dancing lessons?!

It really sounds like this “mom” wants to turn her child into a sex star…and that’s the saddest thing.

sblondon July 25, 2008, 7:22 PM

oh my god she’s only 15 years old. what mother in her right mind would allow this to happen?? Her boobs look big as it is.She’s going to have back problems when she grows up! She will have bigger problems than that actually.Why don’t people let their kids be kids.And why don’t kids want to take their time growing up anymore.They want to rush into adult hood and believe me that’s not fun and games!!

Michele July 25, 2008, 7:43 PM

I often wonder if people say idiotic things like this to get their “15 minutes” of fame. I mean..woman puts out a ridiculous story about getting her 15 y/o implants and it becomes headline stuff. People start talking, girl gets her photo in all the newsline sites…and there ya go, mom saves money by NOT having to pay for an agent to get the girls name out there. The child is 15 for goodness sake. Let her be a child. And people wonder WHY Vanessa Hudgens sent nude pics to a guy and WHY Jamie Lynn turned up pregnant at 16. Kids just can’t be KIDS anymore. Darn shame.

calimom 3 July 25, 2008, 9:09 PM

Based on my expertise, which consists of watching every episode of every season of “America’s Next Top Model”, the money would’ve been better spent with a greater return on an education.

nottamomma July 25, 2008, 9:34 PM

I wonder if she’ll have grounds to sue her mother in the years to come when her skin is ruined from the tanning bed.

Anonymous July 25, 2008, 9:47 PM

That Mom is crazy. The daughter isn’t even that pretty

JustMe July 25, 2008, 9:59 PM

That poor Mother looks so tired from working all those jobs. I wonder where the father is.

anonymous July 26, 2008, 12:02 AM

the girl is not that pretty at all. she needs to stop the tanning bed business and work on homework

gragusa@mail.com July 26, 2008, 12:32 AM

It seems to be that maybe the mother is living out some of her fantasies through her daughter. It is hard to imagine that the mom is willing to work 5 jobs to fulfill her daughters wish to become a drop dead gorgeous model as she mentions her idol Jordan. She is gorgeous, and born that way, as Farrah Facet, Cheryl Tiegs, Christy Brinkley, these women look good practically with anything. The camera also likes them, not all people are photogenic. Some people are great looking, but the camera doesn’t get it, others are not so great, but what ever the camera does it captures something more. As far as the tanning bed, big whopti do, she is not the first nor the last, people are asked to give up so much these days, sun for some is like food. I know people who are so into thier tan, I don’t think it’s great but who am I? People still throng out to the beaches, with the warnings and all. The pole dancing, well she again is not the first, what needs to be done here is the opposite have the mom take the poll dancing. Maybe it will boost her self confidence, and she will hopefully realize her dream of becoming a gorgeous older model, there is a need out there. As far as the daughter goes, she should be aware of the many preverts out there, and the many schemes, and the fact that she vulnerable to many many other pretty faces. The competition for modeling is frightful, the most that succeed know it is truly what they want, they make the contacts, keep the diet, keep their images clean, and know how to find agencies that are looking out for number 1, and that is this girl. That is what her whole life has been prepared for, it would be pretty awful if she came all this way, and it wasn’t worth it.

M.L. July 26, 2008, 12:17 PM

This is really sad. All that money, and she may or may not make it as a model. If she does, in a few years, she’ll be a washout, and nobody will use her anymore. This mom needs to pay to train her mind, and in a few years she’ll have a good job.

Kelli July 26, 2008, 1:51 PM

Big breasts and pole dancing. Guess we know what part of the entertainment industry her daughter is training for. If my daughter looked up from a magazine and said her hero was a model I’d rush her right out to the boostore and get her her own copy of Women Who Run With Wolves. But I doubt this kid reads. Her mom should be ashamed of herself, this is really sad.

meg24_83 July 27, 2008, 2:20 AM

Honestly people get crazier by the second. Instead of buying her daughter bigger breasts, why don’t she buy her a bigger brain and make her go to college? I hope someone somewhere could arrange a meeting with her “idols” and give her a run through of what its REALLY like. And since when did they make boobs halfway through the alphabet?!? I dunno, I was raised that material objects and looks aren’t as important as the person themselves. I guess some people don’t see further than skin deep :o(

Anonymous December 26, 2008, 4:40 AM

Save some of that money for college! Her looks aren’t anything spectacular! There is nothing about her that stands out, except her mothers lack of common sense.

brother October 26, 2009, 7:24 PM

what person wants 2 turn their kid into astripper?sick realsick. She’s really not even that hot

anonomous February 18, 2010, 1:14 PM

stop hating on the bloody daughter its clear the mum is pushy so why blame the girl, shes only 15. how shallow are you aswell to talk so harshly about someones beauty, it makes you just as bad as the mum.