Fat Princess Controversy Overblown?

Is the new Sony video game feeding into girls' negative body image?

sonyfatprincesstory.jpg For some moms trying to instill positive self-image in their tween girls, a new Sony video game, Fat Princess, will surely plump up your anger. The goal of the game, says the game's official Web site, is to "rescue your beloved princess from the enemy dungeon. There's a catch, though: your adversary has been stuffing her with food to fatten her up -- and it's going to take most of your army working together to carry her back across the battlefield."

This video game reminds us of those sad stories of obese shut-ins who need to be removed from their houses with cranes. Can't there be any middle ground in video games? Do women either have to be depicted as "big-boned" or be buxom hotties like Laura Croft of Tomb Raider fame?

The game has one woman freaking out...and speaking out...to Sony. "I'm positively thrilled to see such unyielding dedication to creating a new generation of fat-hating ... a*holes," says the pissed off gamer. Wow. A bit harsh. After all, it's not like it's called "Bulimic Princess," with the goal of racing her to a bathroom to throw up. Still, in a world where positive body images in the media are few and far between, Fat Princess isn't doing little girls any favors.

What do you think -- are we being overly sensitive or should we give this game a fat chance?

For more tween stories, click here.

Related Stories:

next: Caylee's Mom Parties at Bar
Sharrise Marie July 30, 2008, 5:28 PM

I think this is DEFINITELY a game we can live without…girls have so much to deal with when it comes to their images…we as moms and parents in general need to let draw the line to those peddling to our kids!

Kristen08 July 30, 2008, 5:35 PM

Seriously why doesn’t everybody lighten up? it’s just a game. I hardly think it’s going to have that much of an influence on our kids.

Jada July 30, 2008, 6:10 PM

People need to relax! All of this anxiety over EVERY LIL THING is what’s causing insecurity. People are being killed in wars, women are being battered here in the USA, and this what we choose to worry about!?!?!?

I’m not a gamer, but if I was I’d play! At least she’s being rescued.

- Jada -

wendyO! July 30, 2008, 6:21 PM

This game makes me sick. Obviously designed by a woman hating MAN.

West Coast Mom July 30, 2008, 7:49 PM

I think people should be more fat conscious, though not through these means. Obesity is a HUGE problem in this country and meanwhile, every personal issue is coddled so no one gets their feelings hurt. Guess what? Being obese IS gross and more importantly, it’s unhealthy. This applies to boys, too.

I wouldn’t relay the message through a video game, though.

birdsfly July 30, 2008, 8:36 PM

Actually, wendyO!, the concept for this game was designed by a woman.

Mary E. Jackson July 30, 2008, 9:58 PM

Whether it is being fat or being black I don’t think we need to have our children playing games that make fun of others.

badteeth July 30, 2008, 10:10 PM

A possible compromise is to switch it to “Fat Prince”. They can give the prince beer instead of cake to fatten him up. Guys won’t be offended. They’ll think that it’s funny.

zincink July 30, 2008, 11:27 PM

Maybe the female gaming population should make a game called Tiny Peter. I won’t elaborate on that..

jennifer July 31, 2008, 8:37 AM

Are you kidding me? You’re getting upset about the possible influence saving a fat girl is going to have on your kids? Hmmm here’s a thought, if you’re so concerned….how about taking your daughter surfing instead of allowing her to veg in front of a machine? If your child is fat it’s because calories in does not = calories out. Simple math. And if your child is so simple that how she perceives the world is overly influenced by a game, you’ve got way more problems than can be addressed here.

Lesa July 31, 2008, 9:48 AM

What’s the big deal? It’s a game. It’s not telling you to overeat & it’s not telling your to starve yourself.

Parents need to help kids, tweens, and teen to make good food choices PERIOD.

LeeAnn August 1, 2008, 5:17 PM

I fail to see the benifit of creating a morbidly obese character. It is a form of abuse to try and humiliate children with weight issues and this game is not one that would be purchased by anyone I know. America is already over populated by inbred, close minded idiots that fail to recognize that people are simply people. Wither its race, size, monetary, or otherwise. I try to teach my kids to see past anything to see a person for who they truly are. So to add more fuel to a fire, with a game like this? I do not think so.

Here is an idea. Reinstate PE in school. Close down fast food restaraunts. teach parents to feed themselves properly so they can teach that to their children. Throw the video games away and get off the sofa and go do something besides vegitate.

Otherwise? Global warming? Pfftt we are all gonna die from over eating sedintary lives first….

An Proud Gamer Girl August 28, 2008, 11:14 AM

I like the idea of a fat main character…but there are ways to do it that could portray it in a MUCH more positive light then is here.

I wish somebody would tell the game industry this because right now all it sounds like is “Nobody’s happy when they’re skinny…and nobody’s happy when they’re fat…There is just no way to win here”

Rather then having to SAVE the girl from a life of being force-fed until she’s fat and unattractive…why cant the fat girl BE the hero??

How about a game where a fat girl loses her little brother and has to dive into a fantasy world to save him?

Just because the character is fat, doesnt mean the game should be ABOUT the fact that she’s fat…Thats when it starts heading in the negative direction.

Why does it need attention drawn to it? Why cant she just happen to be that way in a game with another focus?

Geeky teen August 29, 2008, 1:14 PM

I believe that although this game is defiantly a game we could all live without, “tween” and teen girls are way too overly conscious, and that a silly game about a fat girl is not going to tip the scales between normalcy and bulimia.

freefromitall October 18, 2008, 11:43 PM

overblown….don’t want your kid to play it? Fine, then don’t let them! I fully support parents monitoring what *their own* kids are playing.

Lathan Starnes November 5, 2008, 5:04 PM

I dont see how this is offensive whould they have to change it to “Fat Prince”for it to be ok id be just fine with that. If you are offended by this you are insecure. ITS A GAME!!!! Its completely fake and never happend and is made by developers on a computer. If a game influences how you act in life you should get a life!!! This game is not making fun of anybody its simply taking a Unique idea and putting into humorous gameplay. Please settle down!!!!

Fat Girl January 4, 2009, 9:02 PM

West Coast Mom: Being obese isn’t gross, that’s a very callous thing to say.

Anyway, I don’t actually see harm in this game. The princess is still considered desireable enough to save, so the obesity isn’t portrayed as a deterent, just as a physical obstacle. Which is exactly how it should be thought of, IMHO.

If the point of the game was to make her skinny again, or the hero abandoned her, then I’d have issues.

LOL April 26, 2009, 7:17 PM

It’s just a game.

BSG January 18, 2010, 8:25 PM

All media should match my value system or its a threat.

Aeracura August 24, 2010, 6:29 PM

It’s crazy - women like this who are doing everything in their power to ruin anything America might stand for… You want to sensor everything that may hurt anyone’s feelings… which goes against rights to free speech and will ultimatly doom any democracy the country may have left. When the people no longer have the right to create or say what they please, no matter how offensive, they have become pawns of a fear mongering government. End of debate.

But if I must go further than that… I am a young female gamer, I love this game, I’ll eat cake while I play this game and not flinch at the thought of my body image… This is because when im not gaming I am very active, I work out regularly and am aware of how my body, my metabolism and how weight gain work. If I am not happy with how I look, I work harder. I know it must be much easier for parents to get angry at anyone who hurts their child’s feelings, but your concern is clearly misplaced. What you need to be doing is educating your children on how to become the people they desire to be and to instill a good work ethic within them so they realize that you won’t be there to yell all their problems away in the future.

Ego’s get bruised, being humble, self appreciating, but always working to improve yourself are traits we should be teaching our children. Not that if we cry enough all of our problems go away.