Thousands of Kids to Be Homeless?

State legislators are making it difficult for moms who want to foster a child and make a difference.

foster_baby.jpg
The futures of thousands of children nationwide could be bleak, due to state budget cuts across the country which could slash funds for child welfare services and foster care programs. While many moms have it in their hearts to foster and adopt children, less state assistance for foster parents will stretch an already tight budget even tighter.

"It does affect their decision," said National Foster Parent Association's Kristin Kundert about the reduction in funds. "They think, 'Am I able to provide for them after adoption?'"

Child Share volunteer and foster mom Alena Strickland said, "I just quickly divided what we get per day for a foster child, which is $15 a day and it doesn't cover what they need. If they cut it further, other people won't be able to afford to do it. The last thing we want to do is axe out people's ability to foster them, especially when there are 60,000 foster kids in LA County right now--enough kids to fill Dodger Stadium. For people who have money they'll be OK, but for people who just want to take the kids and make a difference, they can't afford to have less." Alena has taken in 112 foster kids over the last 20 years.

Here are some of the current state cuts:

California's proposed state budget will reduce child welfare services and foster care programs by $320 million. There are 60,000 foster children in Los Angeles County alone.

Last June, Washington State's budget for adoption workers was cut, leaving many would-be adoptive parents to fend for themselves regarding mandatory home study courses, according to the NFPA.

In Maine, one of many proposed cuts includes a cap of daily adoption assistance payments that is 30% lower than other state rates.

State lawmakers in Florida are considering a $100 million cut to children's services, making it even more difficult for moms to care for children with special needs.

Regarding California's budget changes, Governor Schwarzenegger spokesperson Lisa Page said, "The governor understands the impact of these cuts, which is why he is proposing structural budget reform to stop this roller coaster ride once and for all. There are years that we have lots of money, where we put extra money in a rainy day fund so for years like this one where we have a $17 million deficit, we can fund California's priorities. The governor will continue to be a supporter of the foster care system."

For moms looking to help, Alena recommends writing your local legislators as much as possible. "Sometimes I don't think legislators know the need or the numbers; sometimes they don't know the amount of child abuse that is going on right in their backyard. I recruit homes that the county can license for foster care services. If the homes go down, we're all in big trouble."

What do you think about the proposed cuts?

next: Lip Gloss and Jewelry Sets Recalled
SugarPlumFairy July 16, 2008, 4:14 PM

It is really sad that some of the neediest programs are the ones getting the cuts. Can’t they find actual fat to cut?

Anonymous July 16, 2008, 4:41 PM

I was in foster care and had some pretty awful experiences Most of the families I stayed with were just in it for the money and for free labor. I think the whole foster system has failed the children in it horribly and that a return to orphan homes is a much better plan. The group homes I stayed in were a much healthier environment for already troubled children than most of the homes were. I know that there are a few great folks who are fostering because they want to help children but out of all the homes I stayed in I only met one such family….and since the system was worried that I was “forming to strong a bond” they pulled me out of her home real fast. I feel no pity for the loss of such a system. Maybe it will save some children from going through the horror I went through.

the mama hood July 17, 2008, 1:43 PM

These lawmakers sure can find “extra cash” when it comes to giving themselves a raise. I think they need to put a cap on the “darn ridiculous” spending that go to the people higher up in the government. I recently heard the news about the FDA top guns getting huge raises, that they MOST definitely don’t deserve with all the food contamination recently. If we citizens can live on meager incomes during these hard times I think it would help the top guns in government do their jobs better if they learned humility and their income was cut!! They need to really feel what it is like to live frugal lives. The whole system needs HELP! In the end its our innocent children and the future generations that will have to deal with their carelessness and greed! They make cuts to all the most important funding, education, child services etc. and all those who have the most difficult living circumstances will suffer, but you know THEY will still manage to have their huge homes and fancy cars and not think twice about these kids!

Anjanette Munroe December 3, 2010, 5:56 AM

Houston. We have a problem. Anyone who has family trapped in the CPS system. Please ask questions like: Why are my children being prescribed non-FDA-approved, psychotropic drugs? Check your local pharmaceutical records and see what is being done in their names. You have the right know to as parents. ASK QUESTIONS.

Why are more Black children in the foster care system than out (in Houston)??? ASK QUESTIONS. DEMAND ANSWERS.

Foster Care System: Someone’s doing you wrong. The system should be helping to rehabilitate families in need not to divide them. The numbers are disparate. Something is very wrong. ASK QUESTIONS.

Families: Check your children’s pharmaceutical records. Know what is being prescribed and why…ASK QUESTIONS.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 8:26 AM

Good information! Good reading. There is a single opinion to make about funny t-shirts.

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 1:48 PM

There may be noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made certain good factors in features also.

do follow code March 29, 2011, 1:41 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Computer Repair March 30, 2011, 5:08 PM

Unquestionably believe that that you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the web the simplest factor to have in mind of. I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time as other folks consider issues that they just don’t understand about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , other folks can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thank you

Margarete Detter March 30, 2011, 6:56 PM

Would you be interested in exchanging links?

home budget calculator March 30, 2011, 10:46 PM

Gracias por compartir su maestría en esta área. Hay mucho Info inútil en esto que flota alrededor y aprecio su trabajo duro.

top fashion March 30, 2011, 11:22 PM

Magnificent web site. A lot of useful info here. I’m sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you in your effort!

ebook readers March 31, 2011, 1:09 AM

What i don’t realize is in fact how you are not really much more neatly-liked than you may be right now. You’re so intelligent. You understand thus significantly in relation to this topic, made me personally believe it from so many numerous angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated until it is something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. At all times maintain it up!

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 2:45 AM

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 1:35 PM

First-class news it is actually. My boss has been seeking for this content.

program tv April 1, 2011, 3:36 AM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely great. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.

computer repair services April 1, 2011, 11:18 AM

I delight in, cause I discovered just what I used to be having a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Greenenergydude April 1, 2011, 3:27 PM

Hi, there - I have to admit, I’m impressed using your site. I have no trouble navigating through all of the loss and information was super easy to gain access to. I discovered what I wanted in no time whatsoever. Pretty awesome. Would appreciate it if you add discussion boards or something, it would be a perfect method for your clients to interact. Great job!

hemorrhoids April 1, 2011, 5:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. Will put it to work. Tom

rankpay review April 1, 2011, 8:16 PM

Hé c’est un grand poteau. Est-ce que je peux employer une partie là-dessus sur mon emplacement ? Je naturellement lierais à votre emplacement ainsi les gens pourraient lire le plein article s’ils voulaient à. Remercie l’une ou l’autre manière.

wpolscemamymocneseo April 2, 2011, 6:35 AM

I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers