Happy Endings: Not Just for Men Anymore

Now, a good massage truly is orgasmic.

When we heard about the trend of "happy ending" massages for women, we were intrigued. While husbands and boyfriends are giving them to their partners, reportedly even high-end salons across the country are providing this "fringe benefit" to women.

Remember when Samantha tried to get one on Sex and the City?

Even though Samantha was ultimately unsuccessful, she--like many women--was pulled in by the concept of combining massages with orgasm. After all, we like each of those things independently, so why not combine the two?

"Happy ending massages for women are definitely growing in popularity," says Julie Jeffries, co-author of Red Hot Touch: A Head-to-Toe Handbook for Mind-blowing Orgasms. "It makes sense, given that massage has grown so popular. Women are looking for the next big thing, and genital massage definitely fits the bill."

Jeffries says our hands are our most underrated, underutilized asset in our sexual bag of tricks that are finally getting their due. "Hands can play piano concertos and perform open heart surgery, so it stands to reason they can whip up some dazzling feats in bed as well," she explains. "Sometimes, hand jobs are seen as a consolation prize since we can have sex instead, but that's just because most people aren't aware of all the amazing sensations hands can deliver. By my count, there are no less than 27 ways to give a woman a happy ending. Once you've felt these techniques--like Vulva Yoga or Little Earthquake--you'll have a whole new respect for all the things your hands can do. There are even acupressure points on the genitals you can awaken that will get your whole body humming."

Amy, a 32-year-old who has had happy ending massages in two different states, says the key to getting a happy ending in a spa is clear but subtle communication. "It's all about giving the right signals," she tells Tango. "Initially [the masseur] kept it very clean, but I was really turned on, and I let him know it by moaning and saying how good it felt. He started slowly touching my thigh, then going higher, and it turned into a game of how far each of us would take it. One thing led to another and he ended up finishing me off, which was great."

So how do you send the signal you want a "happy ending" at a spa without asking for it outright (which is against the law)? Request a male masseur. Feel out the vibe. "Sometimes, you can just tell a masseur would be into it," Jenni, 36, of New York City says. Moan at appropriate moments in the massage (when he's massaging your thighs, for instance)...and see if he gets the message.

While Jeffries says "happy ending" massages at spas are still relatively rare, and even illegal, getting one at home is easy peasy. "These days, pretty much every couple's got a bottle of massage oil in their bedroom," Jeffries explains. "Clearly, finishing off that massage with an amazing orgasm is a no-brainer in most people's books."

But if your guy can't deliver the hands-on goods, she says it's time to go back to school. "There is a growing popularity in classes where trained professionals, called 'sexological bodyworkers,' teach people the hand skills they need to give their partners happy endings," Jeffries explains.

So go ahead and make a massage appointment at a spa or with your man. You'll be so glad you came.

Would you ever get a "happy ending" massage?

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Lori July 17, 2008, 11:18 AM

I can’t believe this! I’m disgusted.

Kasi July 17, 2008, 11:28 AM

If I was single… for sure!

Anonymous July 17, 2008, 11:37 AM

in theory it sounds great…. if you are into stranger sex… eeeew~

Jessi July 17, 2008, 12:39 PM

As a massage therapist I am completely frustrated by this. It is so hard to be recognized within the medical and insurance fields as being a legitmate career having real health benefits for our clients. Save the genital massage for home and if your man wont do it for you do it yourself. Paying somone to do it for you is basically along the same lines of prostitution.

Anonymous July 18, 2008, 9:12 AM

This is prostitution, no doubt about it.

stella July 18, 2008, 10:42 AM

A girl has to do what a girl has to do

Putti July 18, 2008, 2:05 PM

44444

Dee July 19, 2008, 8:33 PM

This is sick.

Michele July 25, 2008, 3:40 PM

my husband is a massage therapist and he said they were VERY clear in training that ANY type of sexual conduct was WRONG. I have a friend (male) who goes to get “happy endings” all of the time. As a woman, I am not sure I would want some strange man rubbing around down there. I will save that for my husband, but hey..to each his own.

Gee October 17, 2008, 11:08 AM

I don’t know how rare it is. But I was writing an article for a small womens magazine abcout spa’s and my male massage therapist was the one moaning and saying how he was turned on. I was even taping (with permission) the interview! So I completely blew it off. I thought he was one of those weird primal scream crystal healing new age types. It took me a few days to realize HEY dude was setting me up for a happy ending!!!! DAMN missed the signals, flashing lights, LOL

Renea December 2, 2008, 9:49 AM

This is completely wrong. As someone studying to become a massage therapist I cant believe that people would put their careers in jeopardy just to get off. It makes no sense.

Doug January 10, 2009, 11:27 AM

I see nothing wrong with this at all. This is NOT prostitution. My wife is trying to get her 1st “happy ending” with her massage therapist.

Donna March 16, 2009, 9:53 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with this at all. Men have been doing this for ages, but now that it’s popular with women it’s considered prostitution? It’s hard for good girls to find a man these days as it is. For someone who doesn’t want the red tape and psychos from “real” men, why not just pay for it and leave happy?

Jill June 9, 2009, 3:29 PM

I’ve wanted a “happy ending” for as long as I’ve been getting massages, but didn’t know I could get one. (Massages sure make me feel good!) Thanks for the tip as to how to get one! I’m going to be getting one from now on! Speaking of tips, if I get my happy ending, I assume I should tip more? How much more is appropriate?

John June 10, 2009, 7:05 AM

I used to get a massage from a woman who believed that a happy ending massage was the perfect way to rid the body of tension and was a perfect ending to the massage. I’m sure that works the same way with women as well. I love massages regardless if there is a happy ending or not, but i was much more relaxed if I got one. She wasn’t naked or scantily dressed. It didn’t seem as “erotic” as it sounds. It was just a nice release to the tension.

Mary July 13, 2010, 3:03 PM

I don’t think asking for a male masseur would be neccessary for a woman to get a “complete” massage if that was what she was after.

In fact, I would think most male therapist would be more worried about a client feeling guilty afterward, and reporting him for touching her inappropriately which could lead to criminal charges, let alone loss of that job. Many women request female therapists because they can feel more relaxed in the setting of getting undress and touched, but that doesn’t mean you would have less of a chance getting the happy ending if you use the same clues.

Gingersnap August 20, 2010, 12:28 PM

This is so annoying and disgusting. Where is professionalism and dignity of the people who got trained as massage therapists? These kind of places might as well advertising big in front of their doors: jacking off the way you want it!

freakyzeek November 5, 2010, 7:17 AM

Nothin wrong with a little vulva yoga LOLOLOLOL

Ziggy February 10, 2011, 2:47 PM

Hmmm as a guy…I would say a guy getting a Happy ending is much less personal than a woman getting on…If I was a woman I would want some strange guy rubbing me down south…For a woman to give a guy a happy ending is one step above shaking hands…lol…1 more reason I am SO happy to be a guy!!!

Arlene Mcaloon March 16, 2011, 12:29 PM