His True Views on Pregnancy Sex

If you think you're the only one who stresses about your sex life when you're expecting, guess what? You're not.

men_pregnancy270.jpg
You don't need us to tell you that having sex during pregnancy can be a roller coaster of emotions ("My boobs hurt!"/"I'm nauseous!"/"I'm horny!"). And in addition to these conflicting feelings, you may be harboring some serious body woes ("Ugh, I look fat."). But here's reassuring news: According to Yvonne K. Fulbright, Ph.D., author of Your Orgasmic Pregnancy: Little Sex Secrets Every Hot Mama Should Know, men have their own set of gripes when it comes to sex and pregnancy. (And no, it has nothing to do with how big you get.)

"Naturally, people focus on the woman during pregnancy, so men's feelings are often overlooked," Fulbright says. "But husbands experience everything alongside their wives, and their psyche is affected, too."

So how freaked out do guys get? Some worry if the baby can see you do it, while others wonder if their penis can pierce the baby's forehead during sex.

"It's a myth that the baby will be harmed during sex," Fulbright says. "The fetus is protected by the embryonic fluid and sack -- so it's impossible for the penis to get past the cervix."

"Many men also worry orgasm will trigger labor, but studies show it's not true," Fulbright says. "In fact, women who continue having sex in their later trimesters are less likely to deliver during the 37th week of pregnancy compared to those who aren't sexually active."

And the best news? Sex during pregnancy can be the hottest you've ever had. Seriously. [CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHY.]

For starters, your hair is shinier, your skin smoother, and you're positively glowing. Plus, your bod is curvier than ever (hello, cleavage!). And thanks to all that increased blood flow to the genital area, almost anything can be an instant turn-on (wearing tight jeans, your hubby in a towel, etc.) so you're always raring to go.

As one worn-out hubby put it: "I can't keep up! My pregnant wife is so horny, and I'm exhausted!"

Plus, all that sex gives your marriage an emotional boost. "For most couples, making love while they're pregnant can be extremely intimate," Fulbright says. "It can be very freeing to toss your birth control, which takes pressure off both people. And the fact that you're creating this amazing little person makes your union very special."

And science proves it: According to a Polish study, when pregnant women have sex, their self-esteem and sexual satisfaction skyrockets, bolstering their marital bond.

Need more motivation to hit the sheets?

"Women who maintain their sex lives during pregnancy bounce back quicker after delivery compared to those who swear off sex," Fulbright says. "However, that doesn't just mean intercourse. Staying connected through kissing, cuddling, and holding hands will reap similar results."

What are your feelings on pregnancy sex: hot or not?

next: Becoming a Man -- Sort Of
Dutch July 28, 2008, 8:25 PM

Great topic - well written & nice, solid expert commentary!

Liza September 9, 2008, 12:42 PM

The second my belly popped my husband decided he no longer wanted to have sex until after the baby came. He’s never really had a strong sex drive so it wasn’t a surprise and he’s always told me he could never once the belly showed but it’s so frustrating! Is anyone else experiencing that? He does make up for it with affection and cuddling but I still get sexually frustrated.

allie October 6, 2008, 4:12 PM

Its been an on and off thing- for me! my hubby always wants to and has no problem with all the weight, but i feel gross and now im nearing the end and im feeling sick and too exhausted for anything!

Geni October 31, 2008, 4:03 PM

Ever since we found out that I was pregnant, it’s like sex doesn’t exist anymore. I am only 3 months and sick a lot of the time but also horny all of it. I feel like I have tried everything to get him interested and he just pays no attention…videos, costumes, romance,and vibrators…stuff that I know has worked in the past & he just is completely uninterested. It sucks, and I feel like it is my fault i.e. he is not attracted to me anymore, doesn’t want me or the baby, all those great thoughts. Then when I try to talk to him about it I end up upset & crying and he ends up frustrated. HELP, I dont know what to do & I have like 7 months left…can’t deal with this that long!!! :(

anonimous November 2, 2008, 2:24 AM

when i was pregnant last year with my first baby sex ran through my ming 24/7 even the last month! at first my hubby was scared and nervis bout doing it while i was pregnant. and after i read to him some info from it is was an every day thing. at least 4 times a day. and YES having sex in your last weeks WELL throw you into labor. in my 37th week i was so exahsted and ready for my son to get out. so me and my hubby had sex quit often for 3 days and then the fourth day i was in labor and when i went to the hospital i was already dialated to a 5!! and it took maybe an hour at the most for me to dialate all the way! sex is very good while you are pregnant. and plus i do believe it was a big stress relever for me. and for those nights i had trouble sleeping… well… i was able to sleep!

KMS February 4, 2009, 7:08 AM

I was the one with NO interest in sex during both pregnancies. My husband certainly never lost interest, but it was the last thing I wanted- even kissing and cuddling weren’t appealing.

As for the “increased blood flow to the genital area” (TMI alert), my skin down there was so tight that it ached for the last 6 months of my second pregnancy, and even when we tried to have sex, it was incredibly painful.

All I heard about was how damn horny pregnant women are supposed to be, and I felt like a huge failure.

Faith Logins December 2, 2010, 8:15 PM

It was a good and insightful article. Having said that I’m just having trouble getting the website to show up properly on this safari web browser, any kind of idea what might be causing the problem??

Kiana Falconi December 2, 2010, 8:20 PM

i was surprised at exactly how much on this I didn’t understand. Many thanks for giving out this info. I am sure to come back here to check out if you have any kind of brand-new articles.