Is This Nanny Ad for Real?

The following ad was placed in Craigslist's New York help wanted section. It has since been removed, but we think it's so absurd it just has to be real.

nanny_adb270.jpg

Here goes:

"This job is very nontraditional in the sense that my kids are older and still need someone to "parent" them 24/7. My oldest son will be starting his first year at Columbia in the fall and will not be around much, but will probably still need support. Picking up his dry cleaning, if he needs anything for his apartment, scheduling doctor appointments, anything to help him and his daily life run smoothly ... I have had a hard time meeting people that have been right for the position. We've sought help from agencies and other nanny finding sites and have now moved here in search for some more dynamic candidates.

I feel that I must be up front, this job is a VERY much so a FULL-TIME job with NO flexibility. Both my husband and self work full-time in jobs where it is essential for us to work long hours (hedge fund and fashion industry).

MUST be 100% legal and able to speak PERFECT English. MUST be presentable/polished. MUST have SOME college. City savvy and Blackberry Accessible. AND willing to have at least a 2-year contract.

18 days paid vacation. Half to be determined by you, the rest by us. Health/Dental benefits (full, great plan) (after 90 days). 60-75K. Option to live in our beautiful second apartment located on 84th between Park and Lex for a reduced rent."

Um, and we thought The Nanny Diaries was fiction...

What do you think about this ad: refreshingly honest or too over-the-top?

nan July 31, 2008, 12:12 PM

I think the only thing wrong with this is the job title. They aren’t looking for a nanny, they are looking for a personal assistant. Obviously a very well to do family who are used to having things done for them. Poor kid!

Jezzabelle August 6, 2008, 1:25 AM

Maybe he doesn’t work because HE’S IN COLLEGE. I agree he sounds redick spoiled…..but its far from normal to expect an 18 year old to be raising a kid alone already. Teenagers shouldn’t have kids….they should be going to school and college to get the education they need to get their lives together. So don’t fault him cause he doesn’t work while he is in college since his parents can afford to give him the best opportunities. Fault him for not being able to take care of his day to day needs.

Vicki August 6, 2008, 8:48 AM

Geez, where can I apply for that one. I take care of a 17 yr and 15 yr old that are constantly needing me to do something and I don’t make a dime for it so this sounds good.

KalamazooSue August 6, 2008, 9:32 AM

For God’s sake! Who’s going to wipe his backside while he’s in college? (The sad thing is that he’ll probably become a Senator in 20 years!)

Gilly August 7, 2008, 2:45 PM

For the pay, I’d do it. I can’t, I have two kids of my own but wow, what a paycheck! They may need a nanny for other, not mentioned kids but it sounds like the eldest needs to A)grow up or B) get a personal assistant. Maybe his parents just want to insure he is concentrating on college and not distracted by day to day things. Who knows? Either way, I wish I could do it!! I haven’t had 8 days of vacation let alone 18!

Avery August 15, 2008, 5:13 PM

The best part of this article is that the kid could get into Columbia but can’t figure out how to make an apppointment for himself at the doctor’s office?

Joyce April 7, 2010, 11:09 PM

I think this family is comfortable financially. I see their point. If the kid can get into Columbia why not let him concentrate on education and it’s only matter of 4 years and if he does good in college who knows what he might become a CEO and hire 10s and dozens of more Personal Assistants and Nannies!

Think out of your fences guys and gals!

Marcie Kerker December 2, 2010, 8:01 PM

Because the old saying goes, in the guru’s brain there are few alternatives, however , for someone with a novice’s brain, everything is open.