Mom in Hot Water

Guest blogger Meanest Mom writes: Last week at my community pool, I witnessed the water rescue of a school-age boy. The lifeguard and the boy weren't even out of the pool before the blaming began.

lets_not_be_nasty_villagers270.jpg

"Where's that boy's mother?" hissed an angry mom.

As it turns out, the boy's mother was sitting on the edge of the pool when her son began showing signs of distress. She dove into the water after him, but the lifeguard got to the boy before she did.

What this incident illustrates is that even the most vigilant parenting can't prevent all accidents and mishaps from occurring. All moms know this, but this doesn't stop us from criticizing other moms for things that their children do and don't do. (That is, until it is our child who panics or poops in the middle of the pool, and then we expect universal compassion and understanding.)

We read about negligent parents in the media, yet the overwhelming majority of women around us are not included among them. The simple fact is that most of us are doing the very best job with our kids that we possibly can. Given this, why are we so critical of other moms?

Without a doubt, mothers have the hardest jobs on earth, and being hard on one another only makes our daily burden that much heavier. As moms, we should support, encourage, and uplift one another, if for no other reason than our belief in the golden rule.

It takes a village to raise a child. Let's not be nasty villagers.

next: Why Cruise with Your Kids?
Anon July 6, 2008, 11:48 AM

Some parents ARE at fault when a accident happens. They try to blame the manufacturer of a product or someone else when they should have been doing their job as parents. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore; just blame someone/thing else.

Diane July 6, 2008, 8:22 PM

I don’t want to blame anyone or anybody else……..all of us have been there, all of us have watched our kids in the pool, and turned away for a second, to get a drink, to pee, to grab a snack, to listen to what was going on behind us…..all of us.
That does not make us bad parents, it makes us human beings………

Katie July 7, 2008, 12:24 AM

I admit I’m one of those moms who thinks negative thoughts about another mom I know… I hate that I think it, and I know she’s doing the best she can, but once in a while I just have to vent about how she’s parenting her kids.
I actually HOPE she does the same thing about me, it would make me feel more human and less bad about it. I know I’m not perfect either.

Karen Putz / DeafMom July 7, 2008, 10:40 AM

This exact same thing happened to me. I was tending to one kid when my 2 year old slipped underwater just inches from my knee and a lifeguard jumped in. I could feel all the eyes on me as we were marched out of the pool to file an incident report.

Anonymous July 7, 2008, 1:19 PM

Hey, SHE jumped in! Did any other moms? Especially the ones with the pointed fingers? NO!
I saved a kid once from drowning because her mom would not jump in! Big difference.

mary July 19, 2008, 5:34 PM

I like to believe that every mom cares and does her best. I know mistakes happen, but isn’t that how we learn. I have done some stupid parenting moves, when I wasn’t really thinking things through. I have allowed my kids to do things, then later realized how something bad could have happened. I have felt horrible. Lucky, nothing serious has happened. It was more just embarrissing and yucky feeling, realizing what could have been. I have wonderful kids who I love with all my heart. I believe most moms feel that way. Something is wrong if they don’t. We all have different personalities though and I’m not one to usually stress or be overly protective. It doesn’t mean I want my child to come into any harm. I just don’t always see the harm that could come. Of course, swimming and the like is pretty dangerous for kids on their own, and I’m not stupid either- I’d watch them like a hawk. It still doesn’t mean nothing could happen though, things happen so fast. Like that mom, she was paying attention, and would have saved her own child if the lifeguard hadn’t beaten her to it.