Meet S&M Barbie

Are these dolls divalicious...or totally inappropriate?

sm_barbie_2.jpg

There's a new Barbie in town...and this one looks like she's a fan of whips and chains. Black Canary Barbie, due out in September, is based on a DC comic superhero of the same name. But some think this Barbie is way too kinky for little girls.

Religious group Christian Voice said: "Barbie has always been on the tarty side and this is taking it too far.

A children's doll in sexually suggestive clothing is irresponsible - it's filth." But Georgia Payne--dominatrix, co-author of How to Be a Dominant Diva, and mom of two--says the doll is harmless. "She doesn't even look like a dominatrix to me...she looks more like a biker chick. She's in biker boots and biker gloves...she doesn't have a whip in her hand. If my kids wanted it, I would buy it for them. I don't see a problem with it."

View our Barbies: In My Collection or Mama Won't Buy It? gallery.

What do you think of Black Canary Barbie?

next: Get Jennifer Garner's Look for Less!
Anonymous July 21, 2008, 6:47 PM

No offense, but of course a mominatrix is going to think this is ok! If you think growing up to be one is ok, why wouldn’t this be ok?

That said, I agree with mominatrix—this looks like a rocker/biker chic to me.

I don’t have an issue other than it’s be nice if she had some pants on—but at the end of the day, what’s the difference between that and a bathing suit?

Barbies are for pretend! Let the kids play!

Lambofgoth July 22, 2008, 7:12 AM

Some of these hysterical Christian women should ask their husbands if she looks like a dominatrix. They have enough personal experience to know for sure.

Lora July 22, 2008, 9:32 AM

Lambofgoth, your comment may seem clever, but it’s based on ignorant assumptions. I am a Christian woman and I am neither hysterical, nor does my husband dominate me in the same way that your suggesting. I do try to uphold a godly moral standard, but I cannot presume to force that same standard onto others who don’t have a close relationship with God.

That being said, I don’t agree with this particular Barbie as a play-toy for a child. I can see it as a collector’s piece, but this is not the type of doll that I want my child to want to be when they grow up. I just feel that I’d be sending a mixed message to my daughter by saying “Here play with this doll dressed up in ‘racy’ clothing, but don’t expect to be able to dress that way yourself.” It seems like a stretch, but I’ve found that all the trivial things we overlook tend to add up when it comes to shaping who our children are.

Sheli July 22, 2008, 10:17 AM

1)She doesn’t look any worse than the BRATZ dolls!
2)Yes I would buy it for my daughter.
3) It won’t matter they will have the clothes off in 5 minutes flat anyway, then she will be naked right along with Dr. Barbie, Babysitter Barbie, Skipper and all the others!

Anonymous July 22, 2008, 10:21 AM

did anyone click on that first link - dirty little babyz. wtf! unbelievable.

Anonymous July 22, 2008, 12:51 PM

I was going to say the same thing about the clothes. It will end up naked with the naked Ken doll,and the 30 other naked Barbies your kid has, anyways. Her hair is awesome.

Lili July 22, 2008, 1:04 PM

Swimsuits that are already sold for Barbie are much more revealing. I think the hoopla about this outfit stems from it being black leather-esque and having fishnets. In some people’s minds, those two things equal slutty even when this outfit covers MUCH more than the swimsuits Barbie and most girls who play with Barbie already wear. I think it’s just fine.

The manufacturer knows that it’s not just little girls who buy Barbies, but adult collectors as well. I think they’re being smart, actually.

Lina July 22, 2008, 1:19 PM

I don’t really think that this barbie is a bad thing for girls… She does look like a biker barbie the only thing i think should be added to her is pants… Some girls don’t like barbies because they consider barbies to be for girlie girls not for tough girls so for the company to make a barbie that looks like this is good maybe now the tough girls will like barbies too…

Kat July 22, 2008, 6:58 PM

The doll is not meant so much as a kids’ play toy as for adult collectors. She’s a representation of a comic book character, not a dominatrix, so I don’t see why people are getting so up in arms over it. I would definitely buy her for myself, and I don’t see the harm if someone had a little girl (or boy— I’m into gender equality) who was into the comic chara and wanted the doll of her, either.

Tiffany July 29, 2008, 9:29 PM

I would agree with others saying that she will have all her clothes off by the next day and her hair cut or either ratted to unrecognition. Barbie will be transformed into something else. The collectors will love this doll.

Some people need to quit making things into something it’s not. You can’t always protect your kids from seeing, hearing or learning things you don’t want them too. Heck I’ve seen middle school girls dress worse then this!

a mom October 12, 2008, 3:38 PM

I am a mother of a well rounded female of age 23 so I can say for certain that an “off” doll, such as what people are saying this is, isn’t going to do any harm.

This, believe it or not, is simply “BIKER BARBIE” and it can not become anything other than that.

Stay out of other people’s lives and let the purchaser decide.

Kerry December 6, 2008, 8:38 AM

Keep your perverted thoughts out of my toybox!

Obviously, these so-called Christians are just looking for something dirty and nasty to complain about.

This isn’t an S&M Barbie, she’s based on the comic book character, Canary.

Trey December 6, 2008, 9:37 PM

If you guys don’t like it, don’t buy it. No one is forcing you to. If you don’t agree with it, explain to your kids why you won’t buy it for them, it’s that simple. Don’t blame the makers for trying to make a buck to support our failing economy.