Oh, Yeah, Labor Feels Soooooo Good!

A new documentary says a non-medicated labor delivers the ultimate push present--an orgasm.

orgasmicchildbirth.jpg

Moms-to-be who endure a 14-hour plus non-medicated labor might get themselves a nice reward--the ultimate push present--an orgasm. So says the followers of the orgasmic birth movement, who say childbirth can be a sensual and erotic experience if we'd just lay back and enjoy it. Is this just one more way to keep score? Women who brag about giving birth naturally can now be one upped by those who forego drugs AND get a mind-blowing orgasm in the deal?

Sorry, sex was the last thing on our minds during labor. Pooping maybe. But not, as orgasmic birth pioneer midwife Ina May Gaskin suggests, making out with our partner during labor to intensify the orgasmic experience. Maybe strangling them for being partially responsible for having to push something the size of a watermelon out of our vag--but that's about it. And frankly, the thought of doing a "When Harry Met Sally" in the delivery room makes us kind of cringe.

However, some women claim literally get off on childbirth:

"I feel the baby come down. The sensation is ecstatic. I am building up to the birth climax after nine months of pleasurable foreplay. With one push the babe is in the canal. ....he comes and so do I."

"The sensation of my daughter's body sliding out of my vagina was orgasmic. I still shudder when I think of how pleasurable that was."

"I started pushing while Michael supported me as I squatted. Immediately, after one vigorous push, I felt Damian coming down. A tremendous excitement filled the kitchen (EDITOR'S NOTE: The kitchen??!!) and Michael and I seemed to merge as our eyes met. It was as if we had become one again as we did in a genital embrace."

Who ARE these women? Well, now you can meet them in a recent documentary entitled Orgasmic Childbirth. The movie features woman breathlessly telling us how much they enjoy a really, really, really good push.

Check out the trailer:

next: Moms Are Talking About...
mama_chita July 24, 2008, 9:10 AM

Two words:
B.S. !!!

Anonymous July 24, 2008, 9:22 AM

Only if are into S&M!!

Kristen F July 24, 2008, 9:25 AM

Not to mention totally disgusting. Childbirth is a wonderful thing, not sexual! The sensation I felt when giving birth was FAR from what I feel during foreplay and actually having an orgasm! Total opposites in my book.

jenny July 24, 2008, 9:55 AM

this had me laughing my head off!! are these the same women that get off on breastfeeding?

Shannon July 24, 2008, 10:34 AM

Um, no. I have 4 kids, two of which were natural child births and it hurt like frickin hell. Who are these alien women???

Elisa July 24, 2008, 11:10 AM

I understand where they are coming from, but I think this is taking it a tad too far. I agree that birth shoulnd’t be treated like an illness and that it should be intimate, peaceful and being in touch with your body will help incredibly, and I also agree with the drug-free experience, but I don’t agree with connecting it with sex. I had a wonderful, drug-free delivery with my second daughter, and I enjoyed feeling in control of my body and being able to instinctively know how to breathe and how to position myself - however that was VERY far from sex, IMO!!

Shannon July 24, 2008, 11:14 AM

I had two beautiful natural births that both were completely orgasmic when the baby was being pushed out. I am not into s&m or an alien. I think people who experienced a painful birth cannot fanthom that it can be different for anyone else. It is easier to condemn what is foreign to you rather that try to understand it.

Crisa July 24, 2008, 11:43 AM

I’ve had a natural birth and I’d say the sensation was a huge release similar to a really, REALLY good orgasim, but NOT the same. Release, like emotionally and physically, but not sexual in the sense of husband and wife.

Diana July 25, 2008, 9:36 AM

I will continue to tell my daughter the truth.It hurts like HELL!(I had natural childbirth, no drugs)

Sara July 25, 2008, 10:47 AM

I have to agree that childbirth is an awesome thing. I opted to go the all natural route as I wanted to prove I was as tough as my Mom who did it that way 3 timess:). I won’t lie and say that it was some fairytale thing that was all roses and bubbles but it really was pretty cool. I have a hard time beleiving that someone thought it was so awesome that she was having an orgasm in the end. I thought it was a huge release when I did the last push, but more like the feeling you get after your done running further than you ever have, or cleaning your entire house, something more like that(i’m not comparing the entire process to those things, just the release feeling after). As for being comfortable enough to have an orgasim in front of the Dr., the nurses, God and anyone else you may choose to have in the room - thats just not my style! And one last thought - I have to ask - do these women really know what an orgasim feels like????

Alexis July 27, 2008, 2:09 PM

WTFever! These must be S&M mommies that get off on pain. No normal person has an orgasm from childbirth.

JB July 28, 2008, 2:36 PM

Diana ~
If your logic is to continue to tell your daughter it hurt like hell, I think that is sad! Why would you prepare her for a predisposed symptom that YOU experienced rather than teach her that anything is possible and that it just MIGHT be possible to have a wonderful ecstatic experience rather than just pain. I’m sure it wasn’t ALL pain! It is a wonderful experience! But yet people have been passing on for generations how it is not sexual and that it is medical. THAT is why 1 out of 3 women have c-sections! WAKE UP LADIES!

Melissa July 29, 2008, 5:20 PM

Relating childbirth and breastfeeding to sex is not only disgusting, it should be related to pedophilia. You are SICK, TWISTED individuals who should have your heads examined. While childbirth and breastfeeding are both beautiful things, your comparison of either to sex is one of the sickest things I have heard in a long time. Your children are the ones who will grow up “comfortable” with your anything goes lifestyle and try to corrupt my children. This just goes to show why parents need to be more cautious about where they send their children to play. Can you imagine sending your child off for a playdate and them coming home to tell you that they learned about orgasmic birthing and breastfeeding from the super freak a couple doors down?

Anonymous July 31, 2008, 8:22 PM

Melissa ~

You must have a sick and twisted view of your own sex life to make a statement like that! Not being able to see the connection with a woman’s sex life and birthing a baby normally/naturally is most of the problem with birth today. You are so typical of the reason there is a 33% c-section rate.

You are way too paranoid with your worries of what our children will do to yours! If you raise them right, you should have no worries!

Have you seen the documentary “Orgasmic Birth” or are you just upset at the title? Perhaps you need to see it before making statements like the one you just made. People that bitch at what they don’t know are fools. I have seen this film and it has opened my eyes to what is “possible” in birth.

Melissa, lock your doors and hide! Best keep your little ones locked up too! We wouldn’t want them to know anything about orgasms and sex, now would we?

Cheri August 2, 2008, 5:50 AM

What’s wrong with birthing in the kitchen?! Personally I was in the living room both times. Someone mentioned not being relaxed in front of the doctors. Being relaxed is Important in giving birth, being at home can help with that! Giving birth is Not an illness, no reason for a Hospital in most cases.
Of course childbirth is a sexual experience, how the heck did you get that baby in there to start with?! Unless you’re the Virgin Mary it had something to do with SEX!

rulsgrl August 14, 2008, 12:19 PM

This is such baloney! What moms really feel when the baby comes out is extreme relief and happiness that it is all over (except for the stitching up part). These women are confused. Having a childs head rip your area open is not contusive to an orgasm.

Anonymous August 14, 2008, 6:27 PM

Not all women rip, and the relief you are talking about could be thought of as exstatic, couldn’t it? Have you seen this movie?

Maryann October 13, 2008, 10:05 PM

In the interest of a more natural birth with less medical intervention, my baby went unmonitored during the end of labor. He was born hypoxic—very blue from too little air and a compressed cord. I felt more comfortable without the monitor, and empowered by laboring naturally, but it was not worth putting my son at risk.

M January 13, 2009, 9:46 PM

Just because it’s physically euphoric doesn’t mean it’s sexual. Giving birth puts a lot of pressure on the same areas that receive pressure during sex. From a physical/biological standpoint, it’s pretty similar; it’s going to affect the same nerve endings. These women aren’t sexually attracted to their babies in any way; they were relaxed enough to appreciate what they were doing, and for whatever reason, the nerves & chemicals worked together to produce a sort of orgasm. If you haven’t experienced it, you can’t say it’s not possible, or that these women are “sick.”

Letisha Jerrett December 2, 2010, 8:01 PM

I was surprised just how much on this I just didn’t know. Appreciate your giving out this information. I will be sure to return here to find out if you have any new information.