Kidman Pushes It Real Good

Are moms who get "push presents" just greedy b*tches?

Not only did Nicole Kidman deliver herself a nice baby named Sunday Rose Kidman Urban yesterday, her husband also delivered a push present to thank her for her efforts. It's been reported that Keith, in gratitude for carrying and delivering his child, bestowed on Nicole a $73,000 Cartier Trinity ring. The ring consists of three kinds of gold representing the three stages of relationships: friendship, love and fidelity. (We think they should throw in another stage for the "trying not to kill each other when getting only 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep" stage.)

Push presents are a big hot button issue. Want to get moms riled up? Bring up push presents. Some of us got them, and, in fact, EXPECT them for services rendered. Other moms think the birth of child is the ultimate gift and don't think birth should beget bling.

What do you think? Push it or stop it?

push_gallery2.jpg

Click above to see our "Celebrity Push Presents" gallery.

next: Shopping Lists of the Stars
Danette Obsuth January 20, 2008, 2:22 PM

I don’t agree with these women on wanting push presents for their hard work. There is no gift that could top the greatest outcome of all that pushing. “The Gift of Life”, your newborn baby. Save the gift giving for Mother’s Day.

Anonymous January 20, 2008, 3:25 PM

If it’s something that works between a husband and wife, it’s their business. Frankly, if I’m feeling sore and fat after a baby, a little something could help.

Hypersensitive January 20, 2008, 8:22 PM

Anything that seems to monetize or objectify any part of parenthood — or imply anything other than a team effort — seems unwise to me.

Of course, that doesn’t apply to those for whom the objectified models feel right.

FirstTimeMommy! January 20, 2008, 9:23 PM

I received a beautiful pair of earings for my son’s birth and everytime I wear them I remember that wonderful moment which he was born. Why not have a gift that can do that for you?

Ambivalent January 20, 2008, 11:53 PM

It’s a big hurdle to clear; what could be wrong with celebrating it a bit?

baby girl January 21, 2008, 4:03 AM

I think it nice to receive a present, but the most important thing is the baby. It doesn’t mater if you get a present or not.

Anonymous January 21, 2008, 10:05 AM

I personally had a very difficult experience with my own delivery, and was in the hospital a lot longer than expected. My husband slept on the floor beside me, held my hand, fed and diapered the baby and did anything and everything he could to help me recover. There was no greater gift then that…and I really don’t think jewelery would have had that same effect.

Anonymous January 21, 2008, 12:33 PM

I gave my wife a present after the birth of our son, and plan to after the birth of our next child. This is not something that she has asked for or expects, and we do not talk about it before hand. It is simply a kind gesture to the woman I love for going through so much for her family.

I agree that the husbands should also be there for the birth, sleep in the room, and take care of as much of the day to day tasks as they can to ease the burden on the new mom…..that is their job, they are the dad. And if they also want to pamper their wife with a gift, good!

Anonymous May 1, 2008, 2:30 PM

I think that a “push” present would make you feel good about yourself.Ecspecially if your feeling bloated/ fat after giving birth. But I do believe the woman who receive this gift are not expecting it at all. And that’s what makes it a great gift…. Honestly, if the husband wants to buy a gift for his wife nobody has any right to judge either of them.

Anon July 8, 2008, 11:58 AM

Another stupid fad that people buy into.

Anonymous July 8, 2008, 12:34 PM

Women who think the baby is the ultimate gift come from a different socio-economic background that taught them to believe that.

The thing is, a push present can be something non-material like the Anon above whose husband slept with her in the hospital because she had complications.

Women who think it’s gauche probably either can’t afford gifts or don’t have husbands that believe in them and so they convince themselves the whole practice is a sham so they don’t feel they’re missing out on something.

You cannot tell me that people who are against push presents would turn their nose up at a diamond (ruby/emerald/whatever) ring if the spouse could afford it and surprised them with it. Puhleeze!

Amber July 8, 2008, 12:37 PM

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your husband getting you something pretty for doing the hard work for his child. I didn’t get anything for having my kids but I wouldn’t have said no to a necklace or bracelet. I don’t have super expensive taste so maybe that’s why I don’t see anything wrong with it.

QueenBee July 8, 2008, 1:02 PM

My husband gave me a necklace with my son’s first initial on it. I never expected him to do this but it was really a nice moment in the hospital after having a c-section when he gave it to me. He was really romantic about it and told me that he hoped to add more initials to the necklace in the years to come. I actually didn’t know about “push presents” at the time but I agree that its something between the husband and wife and shouldn’t be expected.

Laura July 8, 2008, 1:34 PM

I want to know who coined the phrase “push presents” — that’s the tackiest thing I’ve ever heard. If a spouse wants to commemorate a special occasion with a gift, that’s between them. If a gift is given for an anniversary, no one calls it a “picked up my socks for twenty years” present. Ridiculous.

Allbeehive July 8, 2008, 1:35 PM

After the birth of our baby girl, my husband and family presented me with a necklace he had designed with his, mine and the baby’s birth stones. Not only was it a wonderful surprise, but this necklace represents the triad that is our perfect family. I would never expect anything and I did not even know they were referred to as Push Presents until now.

Anonymous July 9, 2008, 10:30 AM

“If I require stitches in my vagina and then get to bleed for weeks while not sleeping, I think a gift is in order.”

Amen.

suri July 9, 2008, 12:41 PM

If other family members and friends give you gifts when you have a baby (and not all the presents I received were for the baby)then what is wrong in receiving a gift from your husband should he chose to give one?

Susan July 17, 2008, 12:32 AM

Is this a joke? Someone buys a new mother a gift and someone else has a problem with it??? I’m sorry but personally, I think that this is a privat issue. Do we question EVERY gift a husband gives his wife? Aren’t there other, more important things for people to get ticked off about like child abuse, the economy, war … ?

Missy October 8, 2008, 8:50 AM

My husband went to Daddy Boot Camp while I was pregnant and they suggested this to the dads! I now have a Liam ring! It was not something that I requested. Once I saw my son, I didn’t care about any push present! He was all the present that I needed!

crissy December 3, 2008, 11:00 AM

This has been around forever, not something new. Depending on the relationship, it can be a lovely gesture, or a payoff. Being there for your wife/so and baby is much more important, but if a trinket to show how much you love her and baby is something you want to do, go for it!