Moms Choose Baths over Kids

We asked stay-at-home moms and working moms what makes them truly happy--and both say it's being ALONE! Read on to find out what really makes mom tick... cause it certainly ain't the kids!

happy_mom.jpg
This week, Newsweek features an article that says kids don't necessarily make you happier. We polled over 700 moms on that very subject...and it opened our eyes to how moms really feel.

What were the top things that made moms happy? Not their kids!

1. Taking a bubble bath alone, surprisingly (or not surprisingly, depending on how you look at it) got the most votes.

2. Working out and going on a family holiday tied for second.

3. Getting a massage and going out on a romantic date with your husband or partner tied for this spot.

4. Playing with my kids tied with spending time by myself doing nothing. Interesting?

5. And the fifth most popular answer to what makes moms happy? Sleep!

Now that we figured out what made moms happy, we were curious who was actually happier: working moms or stay-at-home moms. We were shocked by what we discovered.

Keep Reading...

about_the_experts.jpg

next: Get Jada Pinkett Smith's Look for Less!
dr. joanne July 1, 2008, 10:19 AM

I would love to hear more about their study, the sample, etc. These data seem to challenge results from similar studies.

victoria krafcsik July 1, 2008, 11:26 AM

on living the single life.budgeting money.and how love your animals

calimom 3 July 1, 2008, 1:14 PM

Too bad for those moms, not a life I’d want to live..My children do make me happy..along with family, friends, & coffee ice cream!

The Glamorous WAHM July 1, 2008, 1:57 PM

Ditto to the last comment! My kids make me happy too! The job is hard, being a mother, working in and/or outside of the home. But it’s worth it!

Anonymous July 1, 2008, 2:00 PM

the perfect day is 3 hours along and the rest with my family. I have to agree… kids are great but time to re-charge is key!

Missy July 1, 2008, 6:09 PM

I am a working mom with a working husband. We both go to school at night together, so my parents watch are son 3 nights a week. There is nothing I love more than the weekend so I can spend quality time playing with my son. I spend every opportunity I can with him, including going to his daycare down the street and eating lunch with him. I am absolutly happy with my life and the decisions I have made. I know my son would be happier if I stayed home, but “mama has to work to buy him toys!” I am definitly much happier having a child than I was when I didn’t have a child. Spending time with him definitly tops the list of things I love to do. How could anyone not just love every second they spend with their kids? I understand stay-at-home moms have a really hard time, but that is a decision they made. If they don’t absolutly love what they are doing, then they need to do something else. When you are unhappy, your children pick up on it. Then they start acting out. So, if you are not happy, then you need to make a change to fix it! THere is really something to the saying “if mama isn’t happy, no one is happy!”

Laura July 2, 2008, 8:53 AM

I am a SAHM, and I homeschool our daughter. I LOVE being home and being with her every day. Can it be hard? Of course it can, but I reap the reward of an educated, well-rounded child whom I enjoy being around and vice versa. I am also very happy with my husband and our lives together. I am so happy I gave up working. We have learned to live on one salary and are content and very happy. Life is good!

april July 2, 2008, 1:35 PM

I hate to admit how much I love my private time. I adore my kids but they wear me out. Kids don’t “complete me” or “make life worth living” like they tell you before you have kids. bubble baths are still important too

Shell56 July 2, 2008, 1:37 PM

am i the only one who agrees with the study? after a hard day at work, sometimes i secretly would love to be alone and not with kids.

Tonya July 2, 2008, 1:43 PM

i think we love our private time more becasue we don’t have any. used to be a time when we had nothing but private time…so we’d never appreciate like we do now.

Anonymous July 2, 2008, 1:56 PM

That’s crazy! I guess it all kind of evens out in the end. I personally couldn’t imagine staying at home. When I was growing up my mom always worked because my family needed it…and I never wanted it any other way. I love my mother to death and everything I am is because of her.

therockofages July 2, 2008, 2:08 PM

And women complain about men? Oh, brother.

SHADOW July 2, 2008, 2:18 PM

“I’VE DONE MY OWN RESEARCH AND NEITHER WORKING OR NON-WORKING WOMEN WANT TO HAVE SEX. WHEN THE RING GOES ON THE FINGER, THE GATES OF HEAVEN SWING SHUT! DR. SCUM

Jeff July 2, 2008, 2:18 PM

How surprising that women are judging each other. Just kidding about that, for there is no surprise. In my neighborhood, the SAHM are the gangsters and the police are their thugs. What do I mean by that? I have had the police called on me multiple time for my hair length and the Orange County mentality that I look like I do not belong. I could care less about these “mommies” that are so egotistically self-centered that they determine what is right or wrong on a whim. Then, they complain about still not being happy. I have a child and spending time with him and his friends is paramount to the “nuclear family experience.” Is that not the focal point of marriage to begin with? And these women are rarely if ever happy because happiness is a choice, and these so called “mommies” choose to be miserable and catty with one another. Honestly, this poor mommie story is not surprising and the self centered nature of the responses is quite congruent with what I have observed from the female half of the specie. This is not an anti-female message, for these trends are generally true to a large percentage of women, not all.

Heidi July 2, 2008, 2:28 PM

Jeff-

I guess I really felt a need to respond to your statement. I’m going to do a little more judging. Here it goes - men as fathers are fun and sometimes tough. Though there are some really great daddy’s out there, I have yet to see any daddy that actually holds together a house and the “needs” of their children in the same fashion that women, working or not, can. I can leave my husband at home with the children and when I return he is in awe of why I get so stressed, “that was easy” he says. Meanwhile, dishes and laundry are piled, the kids’ rooms are disasters, etc. Watching kids is not hard when you are not doing all the things that actually are associated with watching kids. You have no idea what it means to be a mother, there is so much more to it than hanging out with your kids and their friends.

Patti July 2, 2008, 2:30 PM

I dont know about the sex thing, if you have too much stress with kids, then it doesnt matter, it like you are a working mother. NO energy & NO sex drive. I have a 3 and 6 year old and I am completely stress and agree with the fact that I feel like a failure as mom and as wife. I want to comtribute. I worked since I was 15 years old and since the birth of my daughter I only work about 1 year and have been home for 2 years with her. I NEED TO GO BACK TO WORK, I NEED SOCIAL INTERACTION. I love my kids but they are driving me batty! I think when you arent home with them everyday you spend me quality time with them, I am not saying staying home isnt good, but everyone needs a break from each other sometimes. I think every mother need to go on a date with her husband/love one every once in a while. Go back in time, make it a real date. Even if you dont have alot of money for an expensive diner, go to Starbucks and get a coffee and NO KID TALK, talk about anything else just NO KIDS. If you lose each other then the kids just lose too. DONT FORGET IT HAPPENED ALL BECAUSE TWO PEOPLE FELL IN LOVE!

oter July 2, 2008, 2:32 PM

This verifies the survey from Ann Landers many years ago. The content was:
If you would have to do it over again in hindsight would you have children again?
76% said a resound: NO WAY

OSERTUT July 2, 2008, 2:35 PM

ANN Landers survey a few years ago;
In Hindsight if you would know what you know NOW, would you have children again?
76% said a clear NO

ANNABT July 2, 2008, 2:38 PM

I agree with the Ann Landers survey many years ago and fall into this category myself.
NO MORE, not worth the heartache and responsibility.

Deb July 2, 2008, 2:39 PM

Since our kids are 3 teenagers (18, 19 and 17), when I get home, I go right into our room and snuggle up with my fiance for about 30 minutes before I start dinner. These kids are almost on their own, so that time for “us” is VERY important.